Reviews for Lord of the Dance
Guest chapter 1 . 8/7/2012
I can't bloody well remember the last time I was on this site. Anyway I can guess where you got your title from: also, if you liked Mr Flatley then I suggest you listen to 'Appalachian Spring', courtesy of Mr Aaron Copland. I still can't read poetry worth bollocks; that's why the imagists do me well: I don't have to concentrate so bloody hard on the blooming line breaks and whathaveyou because I'm given emotions within emotions and prodded to do something with them. There's 1001 things I will tell you to read when I see you in a week-or so. Bis denn.
savor those enticing dreams chapter 1 . 6/1/2012
I really like the way you paralleled the two sections of this poem. Though you didn't use a ton of imagery, the verb usage gave my imagination a lot to play off of, and I found myself reading this entire poem more than once. Well done.
berley chapter 1 . 3/12/2012
The is definitely an interesting piece, like the two poems or mirrors of each other with the subtle differences throughout that you don’t really notice at first until you sit down and read both of them. In both poems, I really liked the first stanzas, especially the line “The unspeakable, blemishless promises you made”. It starts to give your poem(s) a very musical feel to them. As much as I like the line “gave his heart a kick start”, I have to admit I’ve heard “kick start my heart” a few times already so it doesn’t sound a fresh as it should.

I also really like the imagery of the line “it is like a waltz/for the deaf, played on an unturned violin” as well as where you decided to break the line. I was just talking about this term with a friend of mine but I totally forgot it, but I like how you think the line means one thing until you read the next line and see that it means something completely different. Damn, I wish I could remember so I could sound all fancy in my poetry terms. Haha.

Anyways! Interesting piece, I liked it a lot. Good luck on the WCC!
Dr. Self Destruct chapter 1 . 3/7/2012
Like I've said before, I'm really bad at finding hidden meanings and really, I think, zeroing in on the subject of what some poetry is written about, especially if it's really creative and has a hidden meaning behind it, so I'm going to comment more on the surface of things instead of the heart.

I thought it was interesting that you coupled this with two poems which were almost identical, changing the 'he and him' to 'she and her', as well as a couple other subtle differences. Because of this I got the impression this was being told from two different characters, each their own poem.

While reading I got this eerie feeling of these two narrators sitting in the corners of a dark room watching as the man or woman they really care about dances with someone else. Which I really enjoyed the dancing verbs by the way, how you describe them moving across the floor with one another. And the line about their voices being a symphony was very beautiful - I liked that a lot.

I got a more violent sensation from the second poem than the first one, I think because it sounds like it's coming from the mouth of a man. Not sure if that's what you intended or not. I just really enjoyed picturing two people sitting in the shadows watching this while being all jealous... I even gave them glowing eyes in my imagination. :3

I really liked the ending lines: 'I'm the Lord of his/her dance'. I think it was a very bold statement and worked well being said at the end - I got this sense of finality from it, like there's no chance in arguing the point the narrator was making. Almost to the point where I'm wondering if these people are plotting something menacing for the dancers. xD

Good luck in the WCC! Glad you were able to come up with something - for awhile it was looking rather lonely this month.
this wild abyss chapter 1 . 3/7/2012
I like the similarities between the two poems. They stand together well as companions, what with the parallelism and similar content.

Stylistically, I don't like the way you completely separated the two halves of this. The horizontal line and separately bolded titles make things feel disjointed, so that it's hard to find the similarities between them.