Reviews for Chalice
cab fed hig chapter 1 . 4/10/2012
my favorite line was your summary.

you seem to speak for all things, and knowingly: it makes me, as a reader, feel synchronized (and assured of closeness) to your unmet spiritual yearnings and angsty inclinations.

your writing comes alive in your narrator's torturous lucidity, that they know the source and scale of their pain is only part of your linguistic, gripping power.

Camus said of the Sisyphus myth, along with a great deal of other smart things: "If this myth is tragic, that is because its hero is conscious."

spiritual burdens/pursuits (i'd say) are often hard to speak of, and the pain inherent in the search especially hard in that they are not as tangible as a strictly broken leg or tangible disturbance.

a favorite quote of mine (that i'm not sure is entirely relevant but-) written by Hubert Selby, Jr says that our dreams (or at least the ones bred of insecurity), the "vague fires [that enchant us]" (great line btw) will "destroy us before we have the opportunity to mourn [their] passing."

i kinda just wanted to say: this is deep, man, and click submit and ditch, and there's so much this inspires in me that i cannot think to explain.

let me just say that everything works in this- diction-wise, in imagery, structure, and sound- it works. and it's sad as hell (to me), and i don't think i'm able to truly appreciate its profoundness, but at least something abstruse was lifted, and i know that wasn't a light task.

...plus with phrases like "vomiting soft beauty and disgusted all the same"? mmm. you're too good at this.