Reviews for Blend In
CieloRayn chapter 1 . 6/21/2012
I love this idea ) and you describe it so well. There were a couple mistakes, but the concept is good ). Hopefully you will write more chapters ).
this wild abyss chapter 1 . 6/19/2012
I think you did a good job with presenting the demons as they try to thrive in an alien culture. The dynamic between the two sisters was well-expressed, and I could tell they were close. You also had a decent job with fleshing out their personalities, too, and I thought the overall effect of your characterization was good. For myself, I would have liked to see a little bit more on the society the demons/humans are living in, how it works, describe their surrounding a bit more, etc. Otherwise, though, I really like this and think it has a good potential for when you expand on it.
Vernelley chapter 1 . 4/25/2012
There's some really interesting commentary on humans, and I think the fact that the narrator is not human makes the differences between Gates and humans more apparent. But the similarities are definitely highlighted as well. Even the desire to be inconspicuous is not something uncommon among humans.

There's some evident discrimination against Gates here; firstly, the marking with tattoos so that they can be distinguished from ordinary humans. Secondly, there's that character Jimmy; he's obviously prejudiced against the Gates, making him an instantly unfavourable character. Damon seems far more tolerant, and I think Alys has a good point about how distinct individual humans can be despite being the same species.

It seems Rack's going to have some difficulty with Jimmy. I'm curious about how things will progress between Alys and Damon too.
MyFallenAngel13 chapter 1 . 4/14/2012
pleaaaaaaaaaasssssssssssssse continue this!
Tsumujikaze no Soujutsu chapter 1 . 4/14/2012
Finally I've got the chance to review you. Okay firstly, this one-shot seems like the X-men movies, but to me, it's something totally different. The concept is similar, yet so different. Firstly I can see the parallel between the mutants and demons. But yet the demons were far more acceptable in the society. In addition, the mutants are abhorred for their genes, the demons are merely a case of religion propaganda. On the whole thing being marked, this is something I will call a common ground here. Yet such an idea would be more of a straight out bigotry rather than using safety as a legit excuse. Now this is what I'll call the greatest paradox. That is humanity itself.

You see, more often than not, whatever we professed to hate or dislike has never been anywhere different from what we truly are. I still remember one time in the past where my churchmate actually stated that for every one finger you point, three more fingers will directed back at you. This was during a fellowship activity all those years back. Pretty much funny to see such a logic being made oh-so-true here if you get what I mean here.

Okay enough of the humanism talk. Now let's hit the characters. (no pun intended seriously) Firstly, it's pretty much interesting to see how far humans can go in terms of denial mode when it comes to things they can't accept. The entire tattoo rule is the core of such a logic. In fact would the term "ends justifying the means" be deem legit ten out of ten times? I truly doubt the bobbies in this story would like to answer this question.

We all like to think we're right. Even those cops who sparked off the LA racial riots N ages back. (cue: a certain Rodney King). In fact I do see an eerie parallel to this very incident far more than any other racial riots due to the entire cause and effect. Pretty interesting to see that you can make use of an event that might have been long forgotten as the focal inspiration.

As for Alys, you did well in creating a strong definition in her. Trying to grapple with the price of eternity isn't something that everyone in her shoes would like to confront with. In fact her own take on life is pretty much reminiscent to Drizzt Do'Urden during the Hunter's Blades trilogy. Which I might add is R.A Salavatore's best Drizzt saga works that is pretty much on the par with the Dark Elf trilogy. In fact to create a certain immature idealist within her own pragmatic persona is one of the best things I've seen from you. Perhaps the best of yet. You see I'm pretty much of a sucker for characters with in-depth conflicts. Alys sealed the deal for me here.

As for Rack, I would say she's actually far more sensible than we'd like to think. She knew what kind of world she's in as per proven in her feelings towards Jim. Alys might call her immature, but seriously she's not that far off as well since we all know Damon is a human. In fact I suspect Rack knew what would be coming for her. It's just that she wanted to play ostrich. Funnily enough I can identify her with the humans far more than her own kind in this respect.

Damon. Now I'll have to say he's the most mature fellow out of the entire cast. Why? Because he can see that one thing called commonsense. Which is pretty much overrated in the eyes of a lot of people. I know what I'm talking about due to all the random crap flying around in the world and cyberspace alike. It's pretty much intriguing to see a character getting very little cast time displaying the key strength lacking in the rest. In fact if you want to expand upon this one-shot, my money will be on Damon doing things far more greater than just a mere extra. I won't settle for anything less. Yes you've created a major monster in this guy. And that's given I'm extremely hard to please in terms of the characters. ;)