Reviews for welcome to the sanitarium
On the edge chapter 1 . 4/17/2012
Wow. I really like that piece of yours. It chills me deep...
cab fed hig chapter 1 . 4/16/2012
very polarizing with "us" and "them," and representative of the blurry line of normal and its opposite. an example with the linguistic style of appropriately paranoid oppression. i guess the embodiment of the classic image of such hospitals.

have you seen "hunger"? the setting of shit-strewn walls and scenes of prison beatings radiate still in the corners of my mind.

not that i'm meaning to link violent criminals to purported crazies, but the mental-hospital-as-a-prison concept is not even all that medieval: there was still trepanation/lobotomy/torture not all that long ago, maybe a century or two or three have gone by, but mental conditions attribute endlessly to the perception of environment, and if you're all ready all good and labeled and stimatized, then any treatment is perceived as readily dished out with totalitarian hands.

i'm typing too much nonsense.

i like the mention of more mental as well as the more immediately shocking physical pain/hurt/abuse. sticks and stones may break your bones but words can hurt longer/deeper/and in harder-to-reach places. when people treat them as wrong/bad/evil and their victims as if they are in need of wrongfully-pronounced "cures" is a real problem. and the terrifying aspect that wins you much power in this piece is that, as the philosophizing Hobbes and probably a hundred others said, that men are only able to access their minds/thoughts/feelings/motivations bc they're "at hand, and other men's [are] at a distance." the natural diffidence that that predicts is enough for anyone and everyone to adopt themselves to the obsessively proliferated self-destruction of insanity.

the sometimes-sarcastic/ironic attitude is charming too.

good end.
anachronistic chapter 1 . 4/16/2012
makes me think of "miss lucy had some leeches"... i think emilie autumn would be right up your alley

this is. good.