Reviews for Sound and Fury
the-lovely-anomaly chapter 1 . 6/16/2012
There is no word in the English language for how wonderful I think this is. Keep writing, please.
Dr. Self Destruct chapter 1 . 5/3/2012
Wow, I gotta say, I had shivers when I got to the end of this, especially when seeing how the beginning of this story isn't the first he was brought back and is only the beginning of a vicious cycle. There's so many things I enjoyed about this, I don't really know where to begin, so sorry if this sounds like a whole lot of gushing, haha.

First off, the imagery alone is amazing. The flow of the sentences, how you use short sentences and fragments to get across the tone, was so nicely done. And the story itself, hell, there's so much packed into just this one short-story. Like how it's kinda scary how one man, with all his fame, can have such an impact on the world itself. Then there's the other scary thought of how technology may be able to bring us back from the dead unwillingly in the future. It's all very eerie when you think about it.

But I think the saddest part is that this man, this rockstar who knows his old work inside and out, can't produce the same quality music because he's gone through death - one could almost argue that it was his soul which gave him the drive to create, and now that it's been dulled by death and mangled by technology, it's just not there anymore. I can't imagine how frustrating that would be... being given a second chance at life, a life that was so rich and filled with inspirational music, just to be unable to continue producing that which used to come so easily to him.

The dialogue was also a joy to read - very believable and natural. I really can't think of anything to critique - I'm just so thrilled that I happened to stumble across this while lurking the endless dregs of fictionpress, haha.

I had a couple random thoughts while reading:

[Over the crowd, another voice booms out.]

Since 'booms' already implies a loud noise that goes outward, I think you can drop the 'out' to keep more emphasis on the booms, which makes it sound more dramatic, I think. I really like that word: booms. Hehe.

[He spits out music like fire into the night, blowing lamp oil words through a microphone torch.

And when he's done, there's nothing left but embers and silence.]

I can't tell you how much I love these two lines. Really, they're just damn awesome, the metaphors you use and the emotions/images they hold. The way you compare his music to fire is just beautiful, and it makes me think of rock-and-roll. Very nice!

[Clack. Flick. The end of the cigarette ignites.]

Very cool use of onomatopoeia here - I have an affinity for main characters who smoke (although I myself don't smoke), so it's always interesting to see how other authors get across the message that someone is lighting up. I've never seen it done this way before, and I really like it.

[He stands alone amongst a crowd men in their early forties, knowing that he will never age.]

Edit: Think you're missing an 'of' before 'crowd.'

Thanks for the great read! :)