Reviews for Qualified
JHeartbreak chapter 2 . 5/1/2012
"I almost wished the events had been written down somewhere..." Yes, if only someone would be so kind as to type them up and, say, post them on the internet.

I enjoy the power-politics in this chapter. The story is much improved, somehow, over this chapter. Probably with filling in the characters. They feel more authentic.
Liquid Under Mirrors chapter 2 . 4/30/2012
Your writing was satisfying descriptive and blunt and your characters seemed very realistic. Good work, and I'm looking forward ot the next chapter.
marginal-utility chapter 2 . 4/30/2012
seems to me James has Asperger's Syndrome. but then how can he so easily be social with his friends? confusing.
bookppl93 chapter 2 . 4/30/2012
Thanks for updating ; D
Guest chapter 1 . 4/27/2012
This is absolutely amazing! Where in blue blazes is chapter 2?
Guest chapter 1 . 4/27/2012
This is absolutely amazing! Where in blue blazes is chapter 2?
WayRoundWrong chapter 1 . 4/26/2012
An interesting idea developing between two very different characters and yet still leaving the reader pondering on the reason for James brusqueness.

It began with a very good opening line though I was a little thrown initially by the use of word 'Typically' and I had to read it again to clarify your intented meaning. In following paragraph Did you mean "I was in the library, ..."?

I think that the initial dialogue was very striking and the strangeness of the "interview" situation was very well described. I felt, perhaps, this dialogue could have been closer to the start of the story to maximise the reader impact and curiousity.

I am intrigued to know how the interactions between Sam and James will develop and whether James will turn out to have some redeeming qualities.
marginal-utility chapter 1 . 4/26/2012
this James guy is not normal! whats up with him?
JHeartbreak chapter 1 . 4/26/2012
I think this is quite interesting. The biggest difference between fanfiction and original is probably the characters, having to come up with them yourself. So I think you've done pretty well in that respect. Protagonist-guy seems complex and he holds my attention. James comes off really annoying to me, making me wonder who would want to go out with him. He seems to be a bit of a generalized character.

The whole interview thing is amusing, but remember that plot developments only matter when they are rooted in characters. An amusing premise only helps if you're able to follow-through on the characters. At points in the story the interview thing felt like it was hoisted on the characters. What kind of person would interview prospective lovers like that? What kind of person would sit through it? These are questions I don't think you answer adequately.

Lastly, I think you could jump straight into things. Until protagonist-guy says 'Hi', there is no narrative movement for us to get engrossed in. Maybe (if you are planning on editing this) find a way to blend all of this info into the scene that follows.

I hope all this is helpful rather than discouraging (I like to think we have a relationship where you feel comfortable to tell me so). I think it's a rough story but shows a lot of potential for you as a writer, and I'm so glad you took the time to write it and post it. It's not easy! And if you need it, I have an unqualified praise mode too.

PS I didn't even realize you're English until this story. Somehow I always thought of you as American.
CreativeChick233 chapter 1 . 4/25/2012
Ahh. I actually like it! I like the feel of it... cant wait for the next chapter!
bookppl93 chapter 1 . 4/25/2012