Reviews for The Idiot's Guide to Ruling an Evil Empire
Greenie10 chapter 1 . 6/9/2012
This was the first story I read on FP. Awesome. - love Sven and Rita. Actually I loved all the characters. I would not mind seeing a sequel to this story.
ruff1298 chapter 21 . 5/9/2012
So nice to see that Sven has pretty much dropped all pretence of being "Evil." I enjoyed the description of the rebuilding of his kingdom, most especially with how Sven is finally taking it easy. Gods know he needs it after all that drama.

I liked how Aidan is going to follow in his granduncle's footsteps. It only seems appropriate that he doesn't quiet down when the war at home stops. I liked how he justified it in that they were responsible for Antia's power vacuum in the first place.

That was a fitting end to an epic story. I enjoyed the ride you gave me, from its hilarious beginnings, to the dramatic twists and turns, and the hilarity that was still there along with the sweetness and the undying loyalty.

I suggest you proof-read this, then get it out and published. I'll happily do the former for you if you let me.
ruff1298 chapter 20 . 5/9/2012
Saws 'N Stitches. Delightfully macabre-I love it!

That physician was an amusing character. I enjoyed his treating his unusual behaviour as if it were perfectly normal given the context of regular society. The magical ward on his building was excellent, too.

I liked Sven's explanation of how he managed to avoid getting crushed to death. It was pleasing to me that his new ability became such an important plot point once more.
ruff1298 chapter 19 . 5/9/2012
I love how you subverted the "Rescue in the Nick of Time." Suitably dramatic, and very fitting, actually.

I can't say I enjoyed how this chapter ended, but I must say, it's rather dramatic and tugged at me more than a happy ending. So like Sven to get the teleportation potion out for Aidan, rather than something with an inkling of saving them both... or the two of them dying horrible deaths.

I will read and review as my ISP permits me. Hopefully it won't crap out on me again.
ruff1298 chapter 18 . 5/9/2012
The fight scene wasn't really my thing. I had to admit, though, Rita's getting stabbed with her own sword was a good bit of drama.

The camaraderie between Sven and Aidan was a nice break from the high-impact, high-reader-impact action. I liked that Sven was basically keeping the dog from biting at his stitches; tough, and he'll hate you for it, but better he is kept as safe as possible.

Why can I not shake the image of Aidan bursting in as nick-of-time reinforcement, though?
ruff1298 chapter 17 . 5/9/2012
Ladies and gentleman, climax time.

I enjoyed the brief but rather telling fight between Nanette and Iovis. The inkling of their past and relationship was rather telling.

The maniacal glee in Nanette was especially profound after Iovis advice was once more ignored. Only right that the sane men are not followed in these sorts of stories.

The dream of fire was suitably ominous.

I liked how Sven is completely and utterly terrified by the prospect of war, but refuses to show it for the sake of those he loves. A very good action that increases reader sympathy.

I've... I've been awake and staring at this monitor for too long. I can't stop, though...
ruff1298 chapter 16 . 5/9/2012
From trying to murder each other to playing like children. I like this development; really helps break up the impending doom and drama and just reinforces the fact that these two are not as different as they think they are.

The encounter with the Cook was amusingly ridiculous. I should have seen the Cook's real stature coming from your track record, but you expertly made the demon sound a lot taller than he really was. His appearance was just golden, by the way.

I love how the two of them get incredibly drunk, and have both amusing slips and bouts of forgetfulness, and meaningful talk about their backstories and their innermost thoughts. Very sweet.
ruff1298 chapter 15 . 5/9/2012
That piece of advice from Hendrik was incredibly amusing. I love his frank, amusing terminology and the sageness of his advice.

The opening with the letters was funny in that it once again calls back to Sven's hilariously abusive apprenticeship with Hendrik.

I love that Aidan and Sven are finally getting along. I enjoyed the cut to Dante and the amusing moment with the synced demons and most especially the state in which he discovered them.

That letter was golden, by the way, especially with how they closed it before Sven signed it.
ruff1298 chapter 14 . 5/9/2012
Quite telling that Aidan has hero's blood in his family. I enjoyed that fight with Rita, and the miniature trebuchet made me laugh.

The part about the fist fight and how Aidan notes that he should have seen it coming was a nice entrance. I liked how you phrase events in such amusing ways, rather than saying the demon dropped him, you opt to say that the demon that was holding him suddenly was not.
ruff1298 chapter 13 . 5/9/2012
Isn't that just like that evil sorceress? Lovely work with that call back to the earlier chapter, by the way.

I like how everything is steadily growing more and more dramatic while everyone is in no mood or state to deal with them. This is going to get very interesting.
ruff1298 chapter 12 . 5/9/2012
Things are getting dramatic. I like that.

I love the intense pressure you did with Sven having to keep the barriers up. The way he was forced to destroy villagers homes to do so was a rather dramatic and expertly done plot point. It pains me to see Sven suffer like that, but if it's not comedic, good things should not happen to him.

The encounter with Rita and the talk of Sven's rapidly deteriorating self was a great scene, very dramatic. I like that even his pet is starting to warn him about his own self-destruction.

The beginning with the demons was incredibly amusing, particularly when Sven noted that they were at the archers' backs when they fired. Dante's rather appropriate term for the only combat strategy their demons were capable of made me laugh.

Nanette's fight with Iovis was very impressive. I liked the alluding back to older, more pleasant days, and the King's good sense for his own country and sheer-badassery.
ruff1298 chapter 11 . 5/9/2012
Mae punching him was incredibly amusing, and appropriate.

I liked that family moment with the reminder that Sven is being as stupid as the man he swore he would never imitate. The bringing up of losses, and the hinting that Aidan could very well add himself to the pile, was a rather dramatic moment.
ruff1298 chapter 10 . 5/9/2012
Mab. Maeve. Why didn't I see this sooner? Brilliant work with that, by the way. Everything makes so much more sense now, and now that that plot issue is resolved, I look forward to the new ones.
ruff1298 chapter 9 . 5/9/2012
Oooh, Nanette is an evil one, isn't she? I love how she just tests everyone she encounters for her own amusement. Her staff of dubious power was also a very nice touch, especially in that Sven described it with a very telling adjective: unclean. Rather fancy.

Dante was especially great her. I liked that he was very loyal to his lord, and the moment he put his blade up to Nanette was a very nice moment. I enjoyed the fact that he could stand down so easily. He really is a pleasant demon, isn't he?

The part with Maeve was terrifying. I enjoy how Nanette messes with even the innocent bystanders in this tale; it'll only set up even more drama and catastrophe to come, as it should be.
ruff1298 chapter 8 . 5/9/2012
Very interesting. I like how there's an ugly side to Rita's past that will doubtless make things very dramatic. I like how she just barely stops herself from violence.

That part about Lady Mab (or at least, I presume) was fascinating to me. I do hope to see where this goes.

The opening with Sven being his usual silly self was very amusing, especially when he collided with that wall. That Aidan got a key from him in that manner was a very nice trick on your part, especially that it resonates with the Guide header you used.