Reviews for A Satire or Two
K. A. Oceana chapter 2 . 5/11/2013
I actually giggled my butt off at this chapter, but it's so true. Especially the thing about only reviewing nicely. I mean, I'm so shocked! I should have known I wasn't allowed to give constructive critiscm! From now on, I shall only deal out sunshine and kittens and bunny rabbits and rainbows.
RuciliaChrisSpellson chapter 3 . 9/24/2012
Like, totally LOL. You should be like my BFITWWW. (bestest friend in the whole wide world).
Blame the old guy who invented texting!
RuciliaChrisSpellson chapter 2 . 9/24/2012
Yes, I, like, totally agree with you.
Mem The Great chapter 7 . 8/26/2012
It's not just school supplies, you know. Some teachers can be really infuriating, I have actually had teachers with an attitude that is essentially saying: "I don't care what has been consistently proven to allow you to get the most out of your school experience. I don't care that it is actually the law that I follow these guidelines (since it's on your IEP). We're doing things MY way." Thankfully, the vast majority of teachers are nothing like this.

Another couple of incidents were also brought to mind from this. When I was in kindergarten, there was a rule at my school that you couldn't read books in the library that were above your grade level. My grade level was picture books. PICTURE BOOKS. Now, most kindergarteners, sadly, are on about that level. When I started school, to give you an idea of the level I was on, I was using context clues to figure out the meaning of unfamiliar words, I'd make predictions, identify the most basic properties of story structure, describe characters, and summarize the plot. Plus, my daily vocabulary included words like "superfluous" or "revolutionary." Granted, I did have a problem with pronunciation. Eventually, my teacher (who had seen me bringing huge chapter books from home and easily reading them) and my mom wore the school down and they repealed the rule. My classmates started reading simple chapter books, and in retrospect, I think that their reading skills exponentially improved.

A parallel incident occured when I was eight and got it into my head that I should read "To Kill a Mockingbird." My mom (who's a teacher, probably why I was so far ahead) convinced my dad that it would be good for me. They got a copy of it and let me start reading. I didn't get through the first part! Most of the themes went completely over my head, and I didn't have the vaguest idea what "rape" was, so a main plot point was a mystery to me (that no one would explain), so I gave up. Three years later, after a rash of boredom, I read it through, and loved it! It is now one of my top ten favorite books. You may ask, how was this good for me? Here's how I learned my limits, which is a incredibly necessary part of learning.

Mem
Mem The Great chapter 6 . 8/10/2012
Exactly! It's stupid, and they call themselves tolerant! Hypocrisy at its finest.
And to reply to your PM: The snakes' endagerment was probably at least partially caused by lack of good habitats, so it would be near impossible to find decent places for them that are not already hosting other snakes.

Mem
Jolly Rogers chapter 6 . 8/6/2012
Preach, sister, preach!

Its going to be hard to give an objective view here because you touched on a topic that I am also pretty pissed about... terrible hateful, chicken-loving homophob that I am (apparently).

This was, as always funny but also (as usual) a bit too obvious. Not as obvious as the others, but you really should be wary of using any exclamation marks. You want your "voice" to come off as dead-pan and objective as possible.

This was all a fun read. Keep it up!
Jolly Rogers chapter 5 . 8/6/2012
Well this wasn't really funny or satirical. This was just incredibly true... and pretty sad.

Yeah, I don't know if this is a positive or negative critique. lol
Jolly Rogers chapter 4 . 8/6/2012
Again, no one can say you're not funny but I think you fumbled a bit with this line:

((Congratulations, Mr. Granger! You now own a completely useless one-acre plot of land for which you will still be paying us property taxes, and good luck on all future Italian cuisine endeavors!))

Too on-the-nose for my taste.
Jolly Rogers chapter 3 . 8/6/2012
This I really enjoyed.

The ending was particularly funny and clever. Keep it up!
Jolly Rogers chapter 2 . 8/6/2012
While this is also funny and true I do not think it is good satire.

For one thing it comes off way too obvious. Satire proper should have a bit of subtlety to it.

Secondly (and this is a much bigger problem) it comes off way too scathing and angry. Satire generally works better when the voice of the narrator is a bit more objective about what he/she is covering. Look to things like the Daily Show or The Colbert Report... they come off as many things about what they are satirizing but angry is never one of them (unless what they are satirizing is, itself, angry... that makes sense, right?). Anger can be funny but it almost never works as satire/parody fuel.
Jolly Rogers chapter 1 . 8/6/2012
Very funny and very true. I think this is your best entry (I read them all and am going to review them chapter by chapter). The writing here is much smoother than the rest.
Mem The Great chapter 5 . 7/19/2012
I mostly enjoy this, but chapter four struck a nerve. It is very important to protect our planet and all the species on it, even if some people are slightly annoyed by it.

-Mem
Jenny Sue chapter 2 . 6/9/2012
Terrible writing, needs far more zombies.

I hear ya, there's so many great stories on here with just a couple of 'update soon plz' reviews on them.

-JB
Jenny Sue chapter 1 . 6/6/2012
This made me chuckle. I think I better forward it to my local MP so he can do something about all this bloody gravity around here, it's a disgrace! Nice job :)

-JB
Innocent Magic chapter 1 . 6/6/2012
I love this attack on the government over gravity! I was wondering if I might maybe be allowed to show it to a couple of my students as an example of good persuasive writing? It has all the techniques I keep trying to teach them, with the added bonus of amused it kept me haha!

Anyway, only stopped by to say I really liked it..

- Cara :)