Reviews for Goodbye, Blue Sky
Amiigan chapter 30 . 3/14/2013
So it seems the original Sunshine has fallen with another form of resistance, just they build hidden communities underground, rather than wage a guerrilla struggle. Interesting, and the city they're in must be huge too. I was wondering if they really reached the 'Wall' before, but figured this wouldn't be revealed yet. The Children of the Earth themselves seem to be getting geared up for something big, and it's nice to see how well they're connected given that ball; liked the cloak and dagger stuff with them, and it still keeps that mystique I loved about the group from earlier in the story. Lion and May seem to have settled into trying to live ordinary lives now, until Lion's past caught up with him. Glad to see Issac was kind there. For some reason though, I had it in my mind Lion was a bigger and older guy (as in like early twenties), not a skinny kid. Glad that's cleared up though, but it did throw me off, thinking you were describing May and mixed up the pronouns. Also, is Alex part of some deep cover operation for the Children or whoever the Reapers are fighting? If so, it explains why he 'sold out' as it were, and wanted his brother to stay out of trouble.

From the castle's description and legends to the rhymes and stories you've really created a cool culture, even though it's only hinted at here and there. It gives the setting some real color. Plus you've done well in splashing gray all over both sides (or three?) of the conflict, with strong characterization, which directs the course of the plot. It makes it very human and complex. I've probably said this before, but it deserves to be said again.
J.Kuzzey chapter 70 . 3/11/2013
Man, this chapter was 100% different in tone compared to the last chapter. I love it, though. I think this might be one of the first times we REALLY got to get inside Lion's head. I like his character a lot - always have - but this chapter just brought him up a notch. He's a complicated guy. I feel like he's pretty strong emotionally, mentally... so getting a chance to peer through the cracks is always awesome. He's been through A LOT, but he's still pretty much a standup guy. Perhaps the only person he would ever break that code for is May. She means a lot to him, that much is obvious.
J.Kuzzey chapter 69 . 3/11/2013
Oh. Mah. Gawd. This chapter is so damn funny. Seriously, I have tears in my eyes from laughing! You are a genius at humor, man.

I was giggling the whole time, but I broke into a straight fit at this part:
"Now – rank has nothing to do with this. But – " he coughs, " – Janyougocheckitout."

"The fuck? Why me?"

"Well you're the youngest."

"The fuck did I ever do to you?"

It was hard to continue reading after that, I'm still laughing! Awesome!
J.Kuzzey chapter 68 . 3/11/2013
"Did you have to take his eye out?" Bahahah! Totally laughed even though I shouldn't have. Laughed again here: "It's like a fucking clown car in here." I love that you do such a great job throwing in that real-life humor. Stuff that you would probably have a hard time suppressing a small laugh if you were in that situation. Oh, man, that entire scene inside the tank was hilarious!
'It's like meeting a legend in real life. You never know how it'll turn out; but once it happens, you know it couldn't have gone any other way.' Weirdly enough that explanation worked really well. I understood immediately. By the way, great led up to that fight. Definitely felt a bit antsy reading those two go back and forth. Was wondering when Lion would deck him! Not a good idea to get into a fight with Andrei, tho'. Looks like Lion is a bit tougher than I expected; though it makes sense considering he went through military training.
"You guys, you guys, you guys—what happened to Sparky?"

"We ate him."

"Oh. Yeah."

I died. Oh, man, hilarious. The banter between the soldiers and the drama between Lion and Andrei made a perfect balance! Great chapter! (But I hope May can start to care a bit, she's scaring me!)
J.Kuzzey chapter 67 . 2/27/2013
Nearly had a heart attack when those tanks showed up. I always have a terrible feeling in my stomach that someone is going to die at any moment lol. Bahaha Aaron being scared of heights. That's totally me! I can get up there, but I better not look down. Extra cautious. That conversation between the two of them, though... many feels. Both of them have such different attitudes. They've lived through similar things yet still have such different lives.

-"It's kind of funny. No matter what weapons, what machines we have – with a flick of her hand, Nature flings it all away." - Truth. God dammit will they turn the radio off! Haha, at first it didn't bother me, but then by the end I was feeling just like the characters. Hate to say it, but I don't think Alex and his buddies should be too relaxed. After all the crazy things that have happened this far into the story, you can't let your guard down!
J.Kuzzey chapter 66 . 2/24/2013
I really want to see this chapter in a comic, haha. There's so much someone could do with the colors and shading. It could turn out pretty damn awesome. Anyway, I feel like the "fire" theme is reaching into every bit of the story. How they burn down the city, but really they're burning themselves out; how the ashes cover, how the flames are felt everywhere. It's pretty symbolic. I also definitely feel like, that at this point, we're starting to see the dots connected more and more. Who knows who, how do they know them, etc. You had started on this earlier, but we're still seeing that happen.

Aaron's a good guy. I like his character. He's refreshing. Everyone else is plain freakin nuts, but he manages to seem a bit more collected. He's a calm guy, a comforting guy. It's a huge change of pace from some of the others. Creates a nice contrast. I'm not sure if he's really a sweet guy, or he's actually just average and he appears super sweet because of some of the insane ones.
J.Kuzzey chapter 65 . 2/24/2013
"...the kind you can't go to sleep in, when it snows." That was the first time a wild comma appeared. At least, that I've noticed. Weirdly enough, I could imagine it being a break between narration boxes in a comic (and thus, essentially the same as a comma) but it looks weird here for some reason.

Damn. Overall this chapter was a rollercoaster ride of emotions. I was seriously nervous there for Jack. He's been through a lot (not just in the previous chapters, I mean over the course of his life); feels like it's been a struggle for him. Strangely, I identified his struggle here in this chapter with that struggle over his life. Not sure if that was your intention or not. I got a little bit teary eyed in a few places. Definitely didn't expect that over Jack. I hadn't cared too much for his character in the sense I thought his suffering would effect me, but it certainly did. Nice job.

Then that end with him and May meeting up on the street... man, that got to me. Well done. I definitely enjoyed this chapter.
J.Kuzzey chapter 64 . 2/22/2013
Hm, definitely liked that part in the beginning about machines and imagining their "stories." Gave an interesting insight into his character. That being said... a tank? Serious business! I had a good visual in my head of that rusted tank in the muddied ground.
-"He's a fucking psycho." Haha! I totally think the same thing every chapter! About that scene, though, it shows a quick glimpse of how unprepared everyone is. Ras doesn't really seem to have a plan (although "Gradual integration. Elimination of the undesirable elements. No mercy." sounds pretty good to me) and I hadn't even thought about their lack of leadership hierarchy. Definitely could pose a problem if they aren't organized enough.
I liked the scene with Aaron in the church. It goes to show how people who really haven't grown up with religion view it ("a good luck charm" was an interesting way of describing it, but it really does make sense when you think of it that way). It was nice to see Andrei show up and defend him in his own unique way. It's cool to see Aaron get a bit more 'screentime' (for lack of a better term). He seems to be a pretty nice guys, if that scene at the end is any indication.
-"...but at least when he was in charge, people weren't getting shot in the street!"- Interesting and important point about revolutions, wars, and conquering. You never know how bad it could be until it happens. It was suck a whole lot to be in a situation where you never know if you will be alive tomorrow, where your fate is locked and in the hands of others. That scene in the bar definitely showed off how futile it can be... and how difficult it can be to fight back... we'll see what kind of consequences this has eventually.
J.Kuzzey chapter 63 . 2/22/2013
-"What're you looking at?"

Some random gravestone, apparently.

"Damn, that's morbid." She exhales.-

Not sure why, but that made me laugh. Overall, felt like this chapter was a lot more dialogue heavy than the rest. No big deal, though. I essentially consider it part of your style by this point. It ended up getting back to its normal flow about midway. I thought the fire-dancing scene was especially important. Obviously, both for the story, but also for the theme of "escapism." Or, as you said "This entire crowd gathered here. Looking for, desperate for any escape... Maybe these performers even do better in times like these." People rely on getting through the bad times by focusing on 'mindless entertainment.' Obviously everyone in this story is in a pretty desperate situation haha.

-"No."

And finally out of sight.
I step forward and walk past him.

"I'd do it myself."-

Definitely had a bit of a shock for some reason. I guess I had just assumed that he wouldn't be able to allow it. Yet now that I think about it, by this point in time, they really are so far apart. How well do they even remember their childhood? After what they have been through, it seems almost a matter of course. Nice pacing on that, though. The little beat between "No..." and "...I'd do it myself." certainly helped get the emotions in me going.
J.Kuzzey chapter 62 . 2/17/2013
This was an interesting change of pace. It was welcome, though. It's always great to get a chance to check out what's the inner-thoughts and such of "other" characters. (I put that in quotes, because while this is essentially Andrei's story, there is certainly a lot going on in this world you've created, and you do a great job exploring all of it.) I think this is a strong point you have; a lot of people focus too heavily on a single character, or they focus too little on their main character (I'm certainly guilty of this!). But I feel like you have a good balance worked out here.

Occasionally, you have lines that pop out and are just freakin mind-blowingly awesome and inspiring. This one, for example: 'Even the stars fled from the sky. From that devastation none could escape.' Felt like I could picture it perfectly in my head. That entire setup, actually. I really wanted to sit down and draw up a page for that. The color tones, the shading, everything seemed to pop into my head. I appreciative that you don't need an absurd amount of detail to do that for me.
Amiigan chapter 23 . 2/14/2013
Well I'm back to give a piece of my mind finally. It's been a while so I had to skim back a little. But as was developing last time, it seems the characters are going off into their own direction. I'm a little confused at how much time has passed. Thought months had gone by while Sunshine languished in prison, while on the other hand Lion seemed to say it had been only a week. And was that the big wall that blocks the city off, mentioned a few times? If it is I'm very interested in seeing what's beyond.

Over all it seems to be getting more complex, with other organizations than the resistance and the Reapers, along with delving deeper into each character's personal journey. My critique is I get lost every now and then with who's talking, but not bad enough where I have to reread it a lot or anything. But otherwise, can't wait to read more and get sucked deeper into this story once again.
J.Kuzzey chapter 61 . 2/12/2013
Wow, yeah Ras and the crew definitely showed up to save the day. Serious tension in that church afterward; mainly between Ras and May. - "Really got a way with the ladies, don't you?" Just people in general. - haha! Laughed at that. So true. Interesting how Ras and the others are able to crack a few jokes about the situation they are in, but to May it's personal. She's definitely feeling the pain the entire city is going through, because of course she's lived it herself. Regardless, its cool that you showed two different ways of coping with their oppression.

That last scene... hnng the feels. Such a bittersweet departing.
J.Kuzzey chapter 60 . 2/12/2013
Man, I just can't like Ivanov. He's a pretty despicable guy. On the other hand, I don't dislike Jules as much, but I really don't have a reason for feeling that way. Perhaps its just the way you present them? "He's probably insane." Oh, yes. Most definitely. I enjoyed May and Andrei's little conversations here and there. I'd probably be going crazy, or I'd be like the others... just kind of lifeless. But its because they found each other again, they have so much more strength together (that's the way I want to interpret that, at least lol)

Is Ras here to save the day?
J.Kuzzey chapter 59 . 2/12/2013
Shit. Was not expecting him to do that. Great build up. The entire time I'm reading this chapter, really starting to feel for Isaac, really starting to think there's a bit of soul in him. The small bits of conversation between the two of them, a chance to get inside his head a bit. Then... damn. Although, I guess he DOES have a soul, because really that was a rash act, an emotional act to throw her into that fate. He was jealous. I felt that jealousy; I was built up into believing with him, for him... and then it was torn down. I love that the chapter essentially started and ended at the exact same point in time in the story. Yet so much was given to the reader. Lovin' it.
J.Kuzzey chapter 58 . 2/11/2013
Okay, I laughed out loud after like the tenth "Why?" and couldn't stop giggling after that. Until he pulled the knife, and I thought, 'Oh, crap. Shit just got real!' Dammit Andrei! Why are you such a psychopath! Poor guy's been through a lot already - I mean A LOT! - so I was really holding my breath there. Pretty tense chapter, well done.

And... ouch, right in the feels. As soon as May started calling out "Sunshine!" I felt it. Butterflies, man. Great ending to this chapter. Not going to lie, I teared up a bit there. I don't do that often. But what about poor Lion? And they're still in a pretty bad situation. Let's see what happens.
230 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 .. Last Next »