Reviews for A Family of Strangers OLD
Claire LeBoeuf chapter 1 . 3/12/2012
I feel awful about this, but I do kind of get where these people are coming from. Yes, I am well aware it's wrong, but I do kind of understand them in a sense.

I used to go to a primarily Hispanic school, I had went there since first grade. I guess I didn't really realize it at the time but the only "popular" white kids were kids that had been there as long as me or sometimes longer. It is a lot more tight knit than those primarily white schools.

We'd get new kids that were white and it'd take a month for them to get "accepted" into the school.

The problem is, just as upper middle class kids are tought that all Mexicans are in a gang, lower class kids are tought that all white people are bigots.

Because I knew all of them since I was six, I never had a problem with it.

On the other hand, you really can't blaim kids that are racist or prediducd (Please excuse my spelling) against whites for being that way when it's almost always there parents fault.

I hope it gets better for you, I really do, but until then I guess we all just need to grin and bear it right?

Keep Writing!

-Claire
Crelian2202 chapter 1 . 12/30/2003
I agree with a lot of it, but the main brunt of the problem comes from the government. A recent incident where I live a white cop shot a black man who pulled a gun on him and fired a shot at him. The white cop was almost put into jail for a hatecrime because he chose to not get shot. On a more writting based standpoint, you can drop a lot of the language and lower the rateing, the language doesnt add anything to it most of the time it just seemed like you enjoyed swearing.
RasberryGirl chapter 1 . 9/9/2003
"...let's face it, the non-heterosexuals are today's African-Americans of the sixties."

Um, this statement is very untrue. For one thing, it's impossible to pass judgment on homosexuals AT FIRST GLANCE-most of the time, you can't even tell when someone is gay (unless they are overtly so, or are with their significant other.) Blacks in the sixties, and even now, were judged point blank everyday not b/c of something they DID (and whether people want to believe it or not, homosexuals are DOING what they want-whether or not that is wrong isn't what I'm arguing though) but b/c of how they look. Blacks are BORN black and are judged as so ON SIGHT; it is IMPOSSIBLE to know automatically when someone is gay, making it IMPOSSIBLE to judge them as so. That is the difference between comparing racism and disliking homosexuals.

As for the rest of what you are saying, I completely agree. Racism can go both ways, and sometimes it's even crueler when whites are discriminated against b/c some ppl honestly don't see a problem w/ it. It's completely stupid to hold ANYONE responsible for something that their ancestors did (and at the risk of being bombarded w/ negative email, I feel it's equally childish to whine and complain about the injustices done to the slaves to justify bad decisions made by blacks today.)
PinkVol chapter 1 . 8/19/2003
I love it!

I know, since I am black, I will get some flak for this comment but I really hate when something happens to someone black and they blame on their color. I always think we complain too much about the past and things we cannot change. WE ALL need to focus on tomorrow and how to make it better. These days there are more important things than color.

But anyway...

I love it!

Brittney
ColorCrayons chapter 1 . 8/7/2003
i *LOVED* this! honestly, i can not agree more with anything! what you're saying here is so true! i swear, i have said some of these same things to many people. amazing that because someone is white it means they're racist, isnt it? and i do think that some african americans and some hispanics are still looked down upon, but not all. it drives me crazy when on the news i see that a cop is being tried because he shot at a black or hispanic or whatever man. that the lawyers are saying he did it only because the man was black. it had *nothing* to do with the fact that he shot at the officer...no...

srry, im ranting. i just really liked this piece a lot

~color outside the lines~
Flamingteen chapter 1 . 5/3/2002
I think the same way you do. :)
Sicily chapter 1 . 3/27/2002
Your expression is stronger than I'm altogether comfortable with (not the swearing, just the style) but I know exactly, *exactly* what you're saying. Sounds like your area is similar to mine in many respects. No one should have to apologize for their skin color - not African Americans, not Hispanics, not Asians, not Native Americans, and not Europeans. I'm sorry people are bigoted, but it's not anyone's fault except the perpetrators'. Some people need to grow up. :) Thanks for sharing such a personal view.
BlazeStryker chapter 1 . 1/6/2002
I mentioned to myself one day not so long ago that 'propriety can kiss my $$', not loud, all to myself.. the person that overheard it, a woman of color who's known to have a nasty temper, decided I was saying it to her, about her, and threatened me with a $$-KICKING without even bothering to listen when i explained the event..

anyone says I have to be a bigot due to my skin shading is a bigot in their own right, I for one would not have bought into 'Birth Of a Nation', and I DEMAND, in my life and in my words, that same respect and at least some curiousity before being condemned for the deeds of ancestors' fellow people of paleness, in short:

I AM NOT a slaver, a bigot, or terribly amused!

to all others, who say "Yeah right, he's gotta be lying, he's just white":

**HYPOCRITE!**
plecko27 chapter 1 . 10/6/2001
Awesome! My position exactly, except change some of the ethnicities. Well spoken. I agree 100%.
KitLee chapter 1 . 6/3/2001
Very passionate. I like it though. You do make a good point.