Reviews for Sounds of the Birds
Kirihime chapter 1 . 12/26/2013
Very touching.
My.Writing.Is.My.Amulet chapter 1 . 4/13/2013
Oh my gosh, I love it! I think using the birds as a symbol of "rising from the dead", as in awakening from the coma, was a great idea, since we normally think of birds as happy creatures and creatures of the dawn, and new beginnings. Great work!
S.H. Marr chapter 1 . 8/8/2012
This feels...kind of voiceless. I don't know how else to explain it. The writing style was very matter of fact and plain, without a whole lot of emotion or mood or tone to it. I'm not sure if you were trying for that or not; I don't think it worked for such an emotional scene.

It was kind of touching, though. I've reently lost a friend of my own and honestly, I have to say he was lucky to be in a coma until he passed on.
ohsocyanide chapter 1 . 7/25/2012
I can feel the attempts you made at creating an artsy piece. My work always comes off as awkward, if not bitter and cynical, so I can't say too much on this, but I feel as though the artsy aspect of this leaves much to be desired. The description is packed into too-large sentences. I find that, with the artsy technique, it works better if you elaborate on certain aspects, like the way the light shafts and ripples as it lightens the sickly boy's features. Some of the grammar could probably be reworked with a quick proofreading. If you're entering anything into a contest, my suggestion is to proofread the hell out of it, simply because a little thing like grammar can dash your chances. Using a lot of metaphors gives a oneshot a more musical sense and tugs at a reader's heartstrings.

Overall, though, the piece has a general sense of hard work and pride. I get the sense that you've worked hard on this, and you should be proud of anything you write. I do like the fact that you didn't end this with a happy ending. At first, I was dreading the end because he wakes up. I was like, "Seriously? Everyone does the happy ending deal where the comatose patient wakes up and lives happily ever after." So I'm glad that you didn't take that route.

This is all my opinion, though, so don't take it to heart. I review and give constructive criticism because I like the story.

ohsocyanide.
JDFly chapter 1 . 7/25/2012
It didn't have the ending I was expecting. It was much better. Good short story! Let us know how you come out in the contest.
JD Fly
Guest chapter 1 . 7/8/2012
creative. Wish u luck in the teenage writers competition
Puer.Scriptor chapter 1 . 6/8/2012
That. Was. Amazing.

Honestly, it almost made me CRY at the end, and I don't cry. Absolutely beautiful and very well-written. I really do hope you win :')
AchievingNirvana chapter 1 . 6/7/2012
Brought tears to my eyes! It's great! Nice work!