Reviews for What Would Yeshua Do?
Dr. Self Destruct chapter 1 . 7/8/2012
I remember the first time I saw the name Yeshua wasn't in church (I've never been to church) or school or anything, but in a video game. So whenever I see it I think of that game and how funny it is that's the first place I've ever seen it, considering who the name is attached to.

I really love all these religious references, like the one to Mary Magdalene. I knew right away who you were talking about when I saw her name in the second line, and that image was only made stronger when I saw the mention of her being a prostitute. The fact that she says 'Yeshua' instead of 'Jesus' makes me wonder if this is supposed to make her relationship sound more intimate because she doesn't refer to Jesus in the same way that everyone else does. Or maybe it's trying to hint that she knows more about him than other people do.

The way this poem goes from the prospect of Mary being 'saved' but now really being 'caged' makes me wonder if this is a jab at religion and how it can be used as a method of control. It's sad how something that's supposed to inspire faith and hope in people can be twisted to instead be used for brain wash and to keep people blind, or to keep them stupid.

The ending is very interesting. I see the holes in her hands and think she was crucified like Jesus, and I wonder what role the narrator is playing. Is he evil? From the way he says, "No. No Yeshua here today." and then grins, I get the image of a very menacing grin from the tone i picked up by the dialogue. And then he kneels in front of her and unwraps her bandages... makes me wonder if he intends to hurt her, or if maybe I'm completely wrong and the act of unwrapping her hands in a way is meant to set her free.

I really like how open to interpretation this is. I don't come across poetry very often like that. :)
tiger002 chapter 1 . 7/4/2012
Wow, this is good. And apparently my alerty thing is broken for this site, I didn't get an alert for this.

Anyway, this is good, I love the symbolism here, showing perhaps an all too real truth, the scars we keep, the pain we bring upon ourself. The line about being caged...so true. Excellent work.
AnonymousLily chapter 1 . 7/2/2012
Mary Magdalene? "She's not saved- she's caged." Wow- powerful poem. I'm not I grasp all the implications- but what I've got from this really makes me think about women's roles in religion. She seems to either have stigmata or perhaps it's a garden variety injury to her palms? The narrator seems to have a caretaker role- perhaps a nurse.
RinaJewelz chapter 1 . 7/2/2012
Wow. Strange, I didn't understand the ending but a really striking poem
Punslinger chapter 1 . 7/1/2012
This is a very intriguing glimpse into a strange world
that makes us want to explore it further. As in so
much of life, many questions leap out crying for
answers. You have a beguiling way with words.