Reviews for Mischievous Madeline
moon-behind-dark-clouds chapter 1 . 7/25/2012
cute haiku! thanks for sharing :)
Abbytjie chapter 1 . 7/23/2012
Cute. Short and sweet, though I am compelled to point out the spelling mistake: 'buiscuits instead of 'biscuits' in the second line. I also feel the comma at the end of the first line is unnecessary.
myob chapter 1 . 7/17/2012
I hope you don't think me unnecessarily critical here, I'd rather inform than condemn but technically this isn't a Haiku, it's just a short poem/prose. Haiku's have rules other than just the number of lines and the number of syllables on each line. Truthfully some would argue that the concept of Haiku's does not translate well (or possibly at all) in to non-Japanese languages, but since I do like the Haiku form, even after adopting the 'accepted' Western form of a 3 line poem with lines equating to 5-7-5 syllables, I shall endeavour to explain.

A Haiku is more than just the structure it is philosophical, it has a context and purpose, the typical principals of which are (basically):

1) The first line is a simple observation which introduces us to the subject.

2) The second line is a more considered observation and/or metaphor (typically) relating the subject to nature or the natural world. (Traditionally this would be an Earth bound object or phenomena such as a living plant or creature, or an elemental force such as the wind, the sea or a rock. However in this modern age it could in theory be anything from the smallest known sub-atomic particle(s) to the entire uni/multi-verse etc. - and everything in between).

3) The third line is a kind of statement or realisation, the 'eureka' moment upon discovering a hidden truth or deeper meaning.

Being philosophical, the idea with a Haiku is that it demonstrates and/or encourages thoughtful contemplation. Each line represents a progressive step along the path from a simple observation, through a more focussed and deliberate contemplation to the discovery of a greater meaning, to attain insight.

i.e. (again) The first line is a simple observation of a subject, consideration of this subject leads to a comparative observation or metaphor relating it to nature, or demonstrating how some of it's 'principals' are mirrored in the natural world (the second line), which in turn upon further contemplation provides a deeper understanding of nature, the world, the universe and/or ourselves.

It's goal is enlightenment, hence why metaphor and cryptic meaning may be used to (somewhat) safeguard it's knowledge, or at least to require/provoke the reader to use their own minds to replicate the thought process' of the author as a means of duplicating the knowledge for themselves through their own realisation.

But, in a way it is also simply just the pleasing result and representation of an individuals moment/period of mediation which garnered them a measure of pleasurable insight.

Kind regards,