Reviews for Juniper Threnody
Cassandra Tate chapter 1 . 8/4/2012
This story has a lot of power in it. I especially liked the dirge scene, during which David, the central character, feels "the shadow of madness" passing over him. There is some beautiful descriptive writing (a child's hand "white and small as a garlic clove"...co-workers who would like David to "shake and quail under their kindness. They'd even pay me for that. Full and hot with anguish to gush into their outstretched arms"). At times, the writer gets a little carried away (a light that serves as "a beacon for the buoy of his tired mind through lolling waves"); and I was a little confused by the time element (David comes home to a house that is entirely dark except for a light on the mantle; then leaves and walks "on and on toward nightfall"). I'm not sure about the ending. First David encounters a crowd of people singing, then a group of men who beat him to death? How to square that bleak, post-apocalyptic scene with the co-workers who express such sympathy for him (albeit cloying sympathy) and the happy child on the bus? Still, that last paragraph is a model of powerful writing, something that will linger in my mind for quite some time.