Reviews for What A Review Means To A Writer
J112011 chapter 1 . 8/16/2012
LOL, let me tell you what it looks like from the point of view of a reader ;) - when you sit down to read your reviews you'll notice a small "speech bubble" on the right hand side of each review. The reason for that is that your readers don't get paid for leaving reviews, but the payment you CAN give them is "Thank you." If you don't, it means you don't care about what your readers say, well, at least in my book. It doesn't matter whether you are a "story hostage," "panhandler," "bean counter," or "50/50." It's like completely ignoring a friend who tells you "nice haircut" or "I like your ... (whatever)" :)
pinkworlds chapter 1 . 8/3/2012
totally understand, i totally agree! haha! i love this! the children would honestly be appreciated.
AaylaKit chapter 1 . 7/31/2012
Love it. :) I don't have an account, but my stories go on a blog. Once someone wrote a comment saying that they loved how funny the stories were. I literally couldn't sleep I was so happy! So I try to review a lot.
This is definately true. All of it. Reviews are like magic cups of coffee that keep writers going, am I right?
CookiCrumble chapter 1 . 7/23/2012
Ah, finally, something about reviews gets said!
You made some excellent points here. I particularly loved the little examples of things like “pan-handling” and how the writers are “waiters/waitresses”. Cute little comparisons that I thought were useful in keeping the reader hooked.
I also found that it was easy for me to relate to both the 50/50 writers and the bean counters. I actually keep a record of who reviews one of my fanfictions / I've also pan-handled (but only once!) on my devart, where I made a whole Journal dedicated to my story. D:
Anyways, great idea/guide, now pardon me while I go spread this onto any site I can find.
I've added this to my favourites, for your reference, you little bean-counter, you ;D
Guest chapter 1 . 7/20/2012
here is your tip. :) Well said. I may not care about reviews as much as some people, but they still make my heart swell up a little bit and put a smile on my face. Even if the reader didn't care for it, it's still feedback.
wiplash11 chapter 1 . 7/21/2012
wow XD
Lolitroy chapter 1 . 7/20/2012
Lovely haha :D

It's painfully true :P
JubJubTheAwesome chapter 1 . 7/20/2012
True,so true. Your story compelled me to review. ;) Hey that rhymes. Well anyway, I have to say I'm probably a bean counter and if I had to admit it a panhandler. You made a good point so yeah... :)
LyssBliss chapter 1 . 7/20/2012
So true, so true. You do have an excellent point and nice quote from iCarly xD Made me smile. You do have an excellent point and I'm happy that even though we all know this deep down in our hearts, I'm glad that you pointed it out for all of us.
WhiteKnightro chapter 1 . 7/20/2012
Hey MP, I'm a 50/50 myself. I like reviews and I write because I have to. I admit there is a bit of a rush when my work creates a positive reaction. I think the thing that most writers should do is get to a place where reviews are nice and maybe act as a guide for the writer in terms of what works. I want to encourage writers but at some point real reviewers need to start offering a bit of pushback. There is such a thing as a writing muscle and like all other muscles it grows with resistance training. I've received rejections from the traditional presses and while they hurt, they make me work harder.

This isn't so much a review as a response. :)
Andramion chapter 1 . 7/20/2012
I agree with you! It's nice to know someone actually read your stuff and likes (or hates, but let's leave it at likes) it enough to comment! Oh, the warm fuzzy feeling you get when the word 'reviews' finally appears behind your poem/story's name!
Well done you for writing this!
LsyBlurb chapter 1 . 7/20/2012
Oh my gosh.. I absolutely LOVED this, thanks for the great read (: I feel the same way about reviews, and hope you get a bunch of reads for this
Purplemonkey123 chapter 1 . 7/20/2012
This is so true i think im The 50/50 writer i love reviews but im not that worried about getting them however, i have panhandled for reviews before lol. Very true and very well written.
imyandere chapter 1 . 7/20/2012
In the beginning of the article, you said: " (see list at the bottom of this article for some of them)" and...there is no list. Just thought I'd alert you to that.