Reviews for Messily Murder MaryWho?
K. A. Oceana chapter 1 . 4/12/2013
I think I'll start off my review by saying that I agree with you about this. Mary Sues can kill your story. Literally kill. It doesn't matter if it's the most excellently written, otherwise amazingly characterised story - that Mary Sue really does make a difference. And not a good one.

*Many peoples' solution to the Mary-Sue problem is to give your character a weakness. Jessie may be a fabulous track star (which I am not), but she's terrified of bees (which I am). A fear of bees or the dark or the monsters under the bed is not going to be the Tylenol to your flat-character headache.*

I know exactly how you feel on this subject. It's absolutely infuriating when you say that one character is too perfect and the author says, "No, they're not perfect! They have [insert a possible flaw or condition here, such as being blind or something], so they are realistic." Wake up. Real people have psychological flaws, not physical flaws. And I don't know if anyone's noticed, but sometimes the so-called 'weakness' of the character actually adds to xir attractiveness rather than subtract from it.

*There must be more to Daniel than his selfless act. What was in it for him? What was his motivation? He doesn't seem well-characterized because we feel like we don't know why he did what he did.*

While it's true that it is entirely bizarre that Daniel would just randomly save someone's house from getting burglarised, maybe there was a deeper meaning. Great authors can make a ridiculous Mary Sue act more realistic. Maybe he knew the people? Maybe there was someone in the house and it was his duty to protect them by a prophecy or something? I know - terrible example. But you understand what I mean.

*Because L. Ron Hubbard is wrong. He may be a famous psychologist who writes famous columns on the subject, and I an amateur fiction writer who hasn't even taken the SAT, but I can confidently say that he is wrong.*

Maybe it's just my personal opinion, but I don't like it when people say that others are 'wrong'. It's OK that you don't share his opinion - personally, neither do I. But it looks better if you say that you don't agree with them rather than saying it's wrong, just like that.

*And here we are, not calling fiction GOOD unless the main character is deeply flawed. Basically selfish. Basically evil. The opposite of perfect. Kind of makes you wonder about the real human race, doesn't it?*

I have no idea what this means, but I'll take a wild random guess and say that fiction can't be good unless the characters have flaws. It's true that fiction doesn't mirror reality - of course that's true. But you do want to make your characters realistic. Plus, maybe 'evil' isn't quite the word. 'Selfish', sure. But 'evil'? I don't know. That's a little bit too harsh.

There are parts in your essay that I don't quite understand. You seem to be switching between agreeing and disagreeing with Hubbard. Then again, maybe I'm just being an idiot and not processing the information you write properly. Do feel free to PM me so we can discuss this subject further.

Krystal Oceana
RuciliaChrisSpellson chapter 1 . 9/24/2012
Too true girl, true.
I really dislike Mary-Sues. I once tried to explain the concept to my dad. I don't think he got it.