Reviews for The Devil's Laughter
Anon chapter 1 . 8/24/2013
Wow! That was really creative and well written! Props to you, author. ;)
just another harlequin chapter 1 . 8/20/2012
Hey, so you said that it wasn't necessary to review back but the summary of this story caught my eye and I couldn't resist: "It was a dreary Tuesday morning when the Devil offered me a deal." Short, sweet and mysterious; I was curious to know what you had in store.

The fact that the situation was random was one of the things that freaked me out, like: "Hey guess what, this can happen to you!" To say I freaked out would be an understatement considering I occasionally wake up in the middle of the night and imagine seeing someone looking at me (shudder)...

There was an issue I had with the whole one-true-love thing, that kind of threw me off because that really *was* random. The girl, I suppose I'll call her Jane Doe, was nameless and faceless and to be honest, I didn't really feel sorry about her dying...yes, I know, I'm mean, but I had no real sympathy for her. The only reason I did feel any emotion was because you described what your main character was going through, though I admit that left a bit to be desired too considering it was an opening to make things more gory and physiologically scarring but that might be too NC-17 so its something easily overlooked.

I admit that I would've liked a little more background on the main character and possibly an earlier connection to Jane Doe other than a convenient year book signing and inviting her over in one full swoop, but all in all it was a good read.

The way you described everything in this story made it feel very bone-chilling...the thought of the Devil appearing at random to offer you wishes for a price darker than sin is terrifying, and to think that someone could comply out of the fear of their own sanity adds to it. Of course the story hit its scariest at the end: "And when I told him, he laughed." Geez, how sadistic is that?

Great job on the story:)
cedricsowner chapter 1 . 8/18/2012
This story definitely had the effect it was supposed to have – it sent a cold shiver down my spine. I especially liked the little details that gave the narrator a more defined personality, the spaghetti and Beethoven as wake-up music, for example. It really made me sad that the murdered girl could have been the narrator's ticket to a better life, if he had only been able to see that. You managed to illustrate the devil's pure malice very intensely by having the narrator solely thinking of how to get rid of that horrible laughter instead of realizing that the girl could be the chance of a lifetime. I can see the devil working like that: Clouding judgment, putting people in a situation where they feel there is no other way…. The only thing I found a bit difficult about this story is the fact that it goes very straight forward, no unexpected twists and turns, just the devil announces something and then it happens. But this is really just a minor point – effect-wise and character-wise this was highly enjoyable (though in a dark way ;-) to read.
Ayame Suzuka chapter 1 . 8/8/2012
Wow, I really like this. The detail was brief but it fit the story perfectly.