Reviews for The Retromancer Blog
TorgoTheWhite chapter 11 . 9/27/2012
No AVGN-esque rant? To be fair the broadcaster is genuinely interested in the game in question. However it would've been "funner" if there were more foul-mouthed outbursts.
TorgoTheWhite chapter 9 . 9/26/2012
Problem with the vacuum balloon implemented in this chapter. Are they constructed out of exotic materials? The weight of present material capable of sustaining a vacuum without collapsing would offset whatever buoyancy the balloon provides.
TorgoTheWhite chapter 8 . 9/24/2012
Lol at the herpetologist joke. Couple of typos (performance being the most glaring one) but the mechanics is otherwise alright. Lots of snark directed against New Jersey still huh. I guess I am still a bit confused by the categorization of alcohol as a drug. Am I missing the point?
TorgoTheWhite chapter 6 . 9/22/2012
Lol at the rant on gun control. It reminded me a bit of a T-shirt I saw someone (who was quite corpulent) at an Anti-firearm rally. It had "spoons made me fat" on the front and the effects were quite hilarious.
TorgoTheWhite chapter 5 . 9/20/2012
Am I smelling libertarian commentaries in Chapter 5?
TorgoTheWhite chapter 3 . 9/20/2012
Finally got around to reviewing this! Gonna start with the god things first. Quirky, cut & dry narrative with shrewd, up to date observations on modern geopolitics. Nice bit of info on current military hardware as well. In those respects, well done.

However there are problems with many of the tech mentioned. You focused on "kamikaze defence drones" as countermeasures against "ballistic missile swarms". How is that accomplished? I am assuming that they are used as point defense (during the terminal phase) since you mentioned that conventional point defense is useless? Keep in mind that warheads during reentry hit hypersonic velocities. Are those hypersonic drones? Either way I can't see the defense of using something as expensive as drones with rudimentary AI over something like, say, an Aegis defense system.

I am also a bit surprised by the lack of mention of anti-satellite efforts (laser & kinetic) by the Chinese/American forces. Taking out the enemy's high value assets (satellites, AWACS, tankers, etc.) should be the priority during modern military engagements.
Francis chapter 1 . 9/3/2012
Wonder resume of the world to-day, by the way been to New Jersey 25 years ago. I live in Glasgow so no worries, with the British Nuclear subs based 25 miles away I will not even see the flash of Hydrogen bomb when it denonates over the West of Scotland.
Myinx chapter 1 . 8/23/2012
You've summed up the state of the world in a few paragraphs. Great rant! Makes me think of that old movie where the character says "I'm mad as hell and I won't take this anymore" or something like that. Be interesting if Retromancer got suddenly cut off in mid-sentence which implied the bombs have burst! Good job.