Reviews for How to Not Screw Up a Story in General
Guest chapter 15 . 1/23
After your rant in chapter 10, I feel I have to point out that ' you've gotta sight your sources' should be 'you've gotta cite your sources'.
Guest chapter 10 . 5/28/2013
Alot could also be a mis-spelling of allot (verb - to distribute) but context should make it obvious when that's happening.

The second typo is 'another' but I can't tell what 'Pocky' is. It looks like a affectionate nickname of Pokémon.
Guest chapter 8 . 5/28/2013
Genuine scripts have scene headers and (usually italic) actions to give some indication of what's going on and where. I have never seen a fanfic do that, and thus cannot really call them scripts (still breaks the proper formatting rule though).

This has an even worser cousin though, called the chatroom fic.

These, in case you were wondering, are online conversations between two characters, which wouldn't be so bad if they weren't from the perspective of the computer screen, thus removing any reactions a character may have, and just displaying their (near impossible to read) text messages.
Guest chapter 7 . 5/28/2013
I've checked the rules of (don't know what it says here) and nowhere does it ban Truth or Dare. The ban on interactive stories (supposedly) keeps people from submitting dares in reviews but (un)fortunately there's nothing stopping an author taking on the role of corrupt dungeon master and messing with the characters on their own.

Which is sad because when done properly (which I assure you has been done, though I haven't seen one for a while), it is as you put it "a semi-interesting one-shot". Then there's the times it comes up as one chapter of a longer fic. These tend to be better as the authors are usually foresighted enough to know they need the characters in the chapter after.

One thing I will say, of the ones that I feel did do it well, none of them had major OCs.

And if you think author railroading Truth or Dare fics are bad, I'm assuming you've never read a railroaded Spin-the-Bottle fic (yes, such a thing exists). I've never seen anyone do that in character.
One-Limbed Wonder chapter 5 . 5/26/2013
I'm glad you brought this up. RESEARCH IS DIFFICULT. In one of my stories, the protagonist becomes an orphan. I had to research the process of the orphanage, learn about the emotions of a new orphan, and the adoption laws of my state. It was very hard but I pulled through. Sometimes knowing the series is enough, other times it isn't.
dessie1021 chapter 14 . 3/21/2013
But what about if you started the story out as a third-person view? Can you have a few chapters where it's a first-person point of view? To add a little more detail in that particular character/s?
Jacquerie's Wish chapter 9 . 2/22/2013
Normally I would agree with you very, very strongly on this point, but I would also like to point out for all readers here that, of course, any rule in writing can be broken if it is done well. OCs, I will agree, are almost never done well, but I have recently come across one that supports its story beautifully. She is from the world in which the story is set, she has believable and interesting shortcomings and character flaws, she makes several realistically bad decisions, and she grows as the story progresses. The plot does revolve around her but in a way that is interesting and believable. So, just for any readers out there: I love what Cam is for Camera is doing and I feel these are excellent guidelines, but if you're planning something for a story that goes against one of the these guidelines and you believe that you can do it right, I say go for it! Let's see what you can do!
hanareader chapter 13 . 2/9/2013
Just a thing to point out: "Authors you are always welcome to make gay relationships in you books,"-I'm positive you meant, 'your' books so...yeah.
However I enjoyed reading this; it has helped immensely in its warning of things I should NOT do and what I should hope to keep in mind. Thanks for writing!
Art7Freak chapter 9 . 12/25/2012
I hate to rain on your parade and be the nit-picky author that everyone hates, but right here it says "In fanfiction, a character made by is is an Original Character, or OC for short." 'Is' is written twice and another word seems to be absent. I'm assuming that the first is was supposed to be 'the author' but I could be wrong. On another note, this piece is probably eye opening for many authors. I can't say I don't do the occasional author notes with slightly off topic stuff, and I have an OC story on my fanfiction that I'm losing interest in because it's with too many OCs...but what you're talking about applies to me to a lesser degree. I hope. Ah great, I'm rambling in my review AGAIN. Keep writing!
-OtakuFaery
Moira Sahou chapter 4 . 12/25/2012
Oh gosh, agreed! I totally agree with this, everything, gah!

I especially dislike the 'It's bettur then it lookz, gaiz, i'm seriouz, just readz and review pl0x!one111!'

Makes me want to tear my hair out!

...

Anyway, it's a really cute guide, and I agree with you here!
The-Wandering-Storyteller chapter 9 . 9/23/2012
Yet another helpful addition. As for your updating, don't sweat it. People have lives outside of this website; some people need to respect that. Anyway, this guide is extremely helpful, to "newbees" especially, and thank you for creating it!
Zurocha chapter 1 . 9/18/2012
Very full of common sense. It would do FF's Touhou community and its reputation a favour if every Touhou fanfic writer in FF reads through this and one other guideline I found.

Also, why don't you write something about writers who give reviews like this:
Author: Very good. I enjoyed it, and-
Character 1 (usually OC): Shut up. I must say this. It's very good, but there is no... (bladda yadda)
these kinds of reviews irk me, really.
Underage author chapter 3 . 9/15/2012
I'm an underage author, and a lot of people tell me I'm mature for my age. I really try not to blow up at people when they give me a bad review, but, I'm only 11, it's hard.
TooLazy4aPenName chapter 4 . 9/14/2012
I've never heard about the autist excuse :)
I usually don't read the ANs unless it's only a disclaimer (weird...) The first story is my excuse right now, sorry!
Lord Mephystroph chapter 8 . 9/12/2012
Greetings. Lord Mephystroph here. I am a fabric author from the Bakugan fanfic. (not sure if you've heard of us noobs) I had a good read of this, and it was quite enlightening. I'm sad to say that I'm guilty of committing the crime of a poor description for my three one shots...