Reviews for How to Not Screw Up a Story in General
Lord Mephystroph chapter 1 . 9/12/2012
Oh, wait, BLAST. I was not paying attention, and I did not notice the one on DA...

So you already wrote one about Songfics. I see. You don't like them either. That is good.

Ignore my former review. Great job!
Lord Mephystroph chapter 8 . 9/12/2012
Hello. Lord Mephy from here.

I'm guilty of the author's note and the poor description crimes. I'm terrible with summaries... Then I played that "first story" card too, but that fanfic has been long deleted.

This was a great read, and it was very enlightening. While it's not at a official textbook standard, it nicely highlights most of the inherent flaws you find in any story, be it on fictionpress or fanfiction. A lot of authors, especially from my corner of the anime fandom (Bakugan Battle Brawlers), need to read this. Terrible OCs, with Mary Sues littered all over the place. Truth and Dares (I cringe). Absolutely poor characterization.

However, I also think that another bane of is also the absurd number of songfics you can find. What's even worse is the shitty quality of the aforementioned songfics. (Well, I've seen a decent exception- Angst songfics paired with "Whiskey Lullaby") I feel that this sort of shit also needs to stop.

Which brings me to the question, will you cover songfics in your essay as well?
Patience Z chapter 1 . 9/12/2012
This is probably one of the most helpful things I've come across on this site so far. I, too, am tired of wading through all of these lazily written stories. It makes people who actually want to make it big as an author look bad. I thank you, my friend, and I really hope everyone on this site reads this guide.
restinbeatz chapter 7 . 9/12/2012
Very good advice, you made some good points here. I don't usually write fanfiction/original fiction, but I've read a lot of it and the biggest problem seems to be people really don't take writing seriously so they don't bother trying to do a decent job, much less trying to improve and refusing to take any criticism. What annoys me the most is people not paying attention the spelling and grammar; there's a beta system in place for a reason. I've never heard of the Truth or Dare thing. I think the thing that separates FP from FF is that there are more serious writers who have more experience.
Jacquerie's Wish chapter 7 . 9/10/2012
You make some seriously good points! Thank you for addressing these problems that could be easily fixed if only more experienced authors would gently point them out to the younger ones. Everyone was a young writer once. We know how it feels! Let us help you skip the faux pas so you can get to the quality stuff!
dessie1021 chapter 4 . 9/5/2012
Haha, I start school later than you...which is tomorrow. Oh well, back to reality.

I never threw the "first story" card and if I did, I probably forgot about it. So far, I've already been following your steps but editing sucks for me. I had to discontinue my story because I didn't want to stress over updating. Not a lot of people were following me anyways. So yeah...if you wanna read my story read Angel On Earth on my profile! The title will eventually turn into Remembrance.
Jade Paton chapter 3 . 9/4/2012
I actually remembered a story called "Stuck in a Harry Potter Romance" which is basically about a character written by one of those inept writers and how the bad writing affects her. In one scene this character, Demeter, talks to her father, Voldemort, via floo and this happens:

"Demeter, my child," a sneaky voice hissed from the fire. I rolled my eyes.

"Yes, Father?" I called as I hung up my cloak.

"Draco tells me that you have been spending much time with Mr. Potter."

"Well, I am trying to trick him into spilling his deepest, darkest secrets."

"Excellent, child. Proud of you, I am."

"LOL, YODA MOMENT!" I covered my ears at the shrill exclamation.

"What was that?" Voldemort hissed. I frowned at the ceiling.

"An author's note," I muttered.
dessie1021 chapter 3 . 9/2/2012
I almost never write Author's notes. I did but I deleted it afterwards. Anyways, nice tips. And I know what your trying to say about "first story" excuses. It annoys me...
AboveTheWhispers chapter 3 . 9/2/2012

Emoness 3: Why would anyone do that...

Anyway, this helps a lot! Keep it up! :D
AboveTheWhispers chapter 2 . 8/31/2012

I am a

of the thirteen-year old rule. :/ I only recently turned thirteen...

Well then. These tips are great so far, I will most definitely keep an eye out for more! :D
25 | « Prev Page 1 2