Reviews for Survival Techniques
scrubbybubbles chapter 1 . 9/23/2012
I have to say that when I was reading this, I had to keep looking down at my hands to make sure I wasn't reading a actual paperback book. It kind of reminded me a bit of the Island series by Gordon Korman; not the content but the style of writing. Although you were able to perfectly balance the amount of imagery and dialogue in your story, it was missing one important element: character development. You made it very difficult for us readers to feel for the characters. I very much disliked the fact that you continually referenced the "tragedy" and other past events without fully fleshing out the details; it made it much more confusing than you would think. I, as a reader, felt like I was reading only half of the story, which made it difficult to fully enjoy. Finally, you may want to rethink your last couple of lines; they're much too weak to conclude the story properly. Try to make it less awkward and more succinct; it will really help. I found this to be an enjoyable read, especially since it reminded me of my childhood. Hope this helps. By the way, I loved the following metaphor: It looked merciless, ready to snap its blue jaws around our fragile bones and swallow us whole. Very good...
Anihyr Moonstar chapter 1 . 9/14/2012
Beautiful opening line. Almost surreal, but still very vivid. I also appreciate the slow build of the 'romance' (which remains subtle, but absolutely there through the whole piece). I like the narrator, in particular, but Anna isn't bad either.

I have a little trouble believing the storm section, since - if they were indeed in one small lifeboat - it almost certainly would have gone topside if the waves got large. Here: [Once, the boat was nearly turned onto its side.] The boat wouldn't have turned "on its side", it would have turned upside down. No boat turns just to one side. And this part [...both swept away by the tide.] strikes me as odd because it wasn't the tide at all - it was the waves that must have swept the goods away, very different from a tide. (And, since the boat didn't flip, I'm surprised they didn't clutch to the food and water as they huddled - since they didn't have much, it wouldn't have been hard.)

I'm mainly picky about that section since I lived on a sailboat for a lot of childhood, so boat stories stand out to me. Other than those technicalities, though, I think the story was enjoyable for the tale it told - even if I am left wishing I could have gotten a happy ending. Not bad. :)

- Moonstar
Chromatic chapter 1 . 9/11/2012
Wow, not something I typically would read.

I liked the characters and the interesting plot :) Plus the originality and uniqueness *twothumbsup*
Juliet in Scrubs chapter 1 . 8/29/2012
Great story! I loved the sublety and the recurring theme of the story book. Great characters and flow, too.
I am Sadie Eye of Isis chapter 1 . 8/29/2012
So is so sad... *sniff sniff* I think I'll go cry now. JK, it was awesome.