Reviews for The Soldier
RisanF chapter 1 . 9/4/2013
I like the fussy, busybody nature of the mother here, micromanaging everyone's lives in the name of propriety. Rupert is suitably irritable from this exchange, but changes his tune real quickly after seeing Helen's performance, which makes me wish we could see the performance too. I'm afraid I'm no more knowledgeable about the real historical personages in this story than I was about the other story, but it's easy enough to understand the characters' roles and how it relates to the central plot. It'd be good if you added another character, though; this is only a taste of what's to come.
A. Nonymous1234 chapter 1 . 1/1/2013
I got a little confused here. It was the interesting little set up of Rupert and his views on his mother (this made me laugh by the way. Reminds me of people I know) and then it suddenly skips to his sudden dive into love. I would have been less confused if he had mentioned what had happened at the play, or what he saw.

It was good overall, with an interesting way that you wrote it.
Lenni chapter 1 . 9/8/2012
I don't think I've ever written a story that started out in this kind of format, and I'd just like to say I was pleasantly surprised. :) I really enjoyed this, especially the incorporation of the play program to reveal the name of Rupert's new love.

You have a really great way with words. I especially like this part of the chapter:

[ I cannot believe it. I have done it. Many people claim to have done it, far fewer have actually done so. I am now one of those few. I am one of those few people who have been swept up into the fluffy cloud of twitter-pated happiness. It's like a drug. No! It is better than a drug! It is love. That very simple thing that has baffled philosophers, poets, playwrights, astrologers, priests and kings for centuries, and probably will continue to do so for centuries to come. ]

I'm not sure what it is, but there's a certain humor and lightness to this, as well as the rest of Rupert's writing, that is really enjoyable to read. In this part especially I liked Rupert's description of love and ecstatic revelation that he is in love.

I'm excited to see where this goes! :)

- Lenni
Loraine Wentworth chapter 1 . 9/3/2012
I like how you constructed this out of a combination of letters, the programme, and the prose. It worked really well- it gave the piece a really fast and entertaining pace which I enjoyed reading. The grammar and spelling look perfect and the writing flows very nicely.

Rupert sounds like a really funny character. He seems to have an ironic sense of humour and I'm looking forward to finding out more about him. I'm also really intrigued to find out about the other characters too, especially Helen!

Therefore, this is a great opening. You've caught my attention and set up the plot and the characters really well.

Specifics:

not that vile thing you call a dinner jacket, [Haha, I like the humour here]

I really liked the description of Helen. I thought it was pretty original to first describe her facial structure before her hair and eyes.

Anyway, this was great fun to read, so I will be following it and looking forward to updates.
Highway Unicorn chapter 1 . 9/2/2012
Hi from roadhouse! :D

I love the mother's diction. It fits perfectly with what usually a mother from that time frame in that situation sounded like (the whole thing where the woman thinks she's richer and more popular with the higher society than she really is).

At first, i must admit, i was rather unsure about this, because of the whole set up of this first chapter/prologue, but overall, i'm glad i did read it. By the time I got to the end of this, I found myself indulged in this unique format, and I must say that I liked it quite a lot. :D

Rupert seems like an interesting fellow, and I would love to see what happens when he goes to the play, and how his relationship with is mother is like. :D