Reviews for I Was Meant To Hold Your Hand
Nuitdemeztli chapter 4 . 7/14/2013
This is such a strange story. I little like Alice in Wonderland. I was very confused and still am but I like it. I feel sad for Chaplain and for Alexander, so very sad. I liked the letter a lot, it had a tad of admiration and sadness.
Fiery Dancer chapter 4 . 7/14/2013
Very interesting story - have to admit, not sure what happened ;) - but you were very good visualising his feelings, nicely done!
Trillpuv chapter 4 . 3/31/2013
This was very sad, once you think about both perspectives. Neither of them were quite happy, but in the end, there's this bittersweet acceptance. I loved it.
Arethusa Cyberia chapter 4 . 12/9/2012
This was really strange and surreal, but interesting. I especially like Trevor thinking about Chaplain in his place, feeling the reverse of what he went through.

I'm assuming this is a story from the viewpoint of someone with DID? Or is this truly a supernatural tale of possession? Either way, very interesting.

And a bit sad too.
IAmAnAeroplane chapter 4 . 10/11/2012
First off. I love it, it's so different- so unexpected! I was expecting something similar to "My boyfriend makes me feel inadequate", but the second chapter completely threw me! I was confused at first, so I had to re-read it a couple of times. The last chapter explained so much, yet left much more to the imagination. My brain is still reeling- trying to understand it: how did they disappear? Where did they go? I loved it. I'm kinda rambling- anyways, so unique.
ImmanenceEnsured chapter 4 . 10/5/2012
I really, really wanted to read this, but the descriptions were so abstract, and I was araid I wouldn’t like them, or that I wouldn’t be able to pay proper attention, lose their form and meaning. So I tried reading the third chapter out loud to myself, to keep on concentrating, keep the flow. It was a blast.
I love everything in that third chapter. No that’s a lie, I don’t love the main character, because I don’t care about him. Not in a bad way, I just don’t feel his personality. He’s there, things are happening, and to me those things happening are more important than he is. Vitally important, they were so beautiful I was mesmerized. I love the place he’s in and the way everyone reacts to him. And I love ‘everyone’.
The way he sinks into darkness time and time again, I love that. I wish he could keep on sinking, keep on dying or whatevern because it gives me a thrill, those colours and images fading to black. I love what happens to him.
Mr Yam and Mr reflection were sweet, and Mr reflection of the Yam made me smile (old grumpy men are cool) but I loved Mr gazelle-head the most. The way he says: ‘I knew you before you were born.’ That’s what God says in the Bible, and not that he reminds me of God but I got that same warm, womb-like feeling. The way he’s inhuman made me cringe at first, but then it became good, because he’s not like Alexander, and that’s better for some reason. Inhuman is better in this story

I think it’s funny how he imagines the real world to be hell for a second. Then he opens his eyes. I was a bit devastated to see he just went back to the boring real world, no more colourful fantasies and black holes and Yams. But then Trevor drops the three-year-bomb, and my heart jumped. Shock. Delicious.
I’m not a fan of symbolism, so I’m not giong to try and analyse the dream world time, because that would destroy it for me. The dream parts were my favourite parts, after all.

That last fragment is different. Written in a different way, flatter, less otherwordly, more nonchalant. Very nice, the understatedness made it all the more mysterious and emotive for me. I was almost angry with Alexander’s lack of interest in what Chaplain turned his life into. Chaplain obviously was a very nice and interesting guy, why is he not interested in return. I’m sure Chaplain was. Turns out he was indeed.
I didn’t dare read Chaplain’s letter at first though. I stopped, then started reading. It was wonderful. I started liking Alexander through Chaplain’s letter. Such a short letter could make me love Alexander, while Alexander, throughout all those chapters, couldn’t. Like Chaplain made Alexander likeable. His existence made Alexander likeable as a person. That’s what I felt.

I didn’t like the last line much – my only complaint, sorry! – because it was about Trevor, and Trevor isn’t that interesting in this story’s context. But he liked Chaplain, and he likes Alexander, and that’s amazing. I understand the last line could be some sort of silent understatement, like to not mention the rest, just let the throughts resound. But still, I’d have preferred for it to end with Chaplain. Because… Because Chaplain is something special.

(Going to click that Favourite button now)
(I love you for writing this)
(really, love you)
goudacheese chapter 4 . 9/30/2012
This was definitely unexpected, but I think I like the direction the whole thing took and the way you chose to write it. There are still loads of questions that we readers are left with after this, but I kind of like the open-ended way you chose to leave this story. I really like your writing in this story as well; everything's beautifully described and it's such a pleasant read. :)
heyitsstupidme chapter 4 . 9/28/2012
Wow, that was really unexpected. It's good that he isn't dead, but it is kind of sad. I couldn't imagine waking up and realising another person has lived in my body and overtaken my life fpr three years.
Honunjama chapter 4 . 9/28/2012
Wow! I really, really like the direction this chapter took:) So poignant! I have a lot of sympathy for poor Chaplain. And it's a really original idea, leaving a lot of questions for the reader to wonder about and ones you don't necessarily have to answer- the why of the whole issue...fascinating.
As I said before I really like how poetic and evocative your writing is in this story. I think this is now my favorite of your writing:)

Sukix
Aletiah chapter 4 . 9/28/2012
That was unexpected! This story is still very abstract, though, but I understand it more now, I hope at least :) There is no answers to why and how, but that's not really necessary, this isn't that kind of a story.
And I guess he's NOT schizofrenic, that someone else actually was born into his life and took it over for a while. Great job with this! Very beautiful and thoughful.
Loralee Abercrombie chapter 1 . 9/25/2012
Salvador Dali of fiction...
Aletiah chapter 3 . 9/25/2012
I still not understand it, but it's beautifully written, like a poem or something. A coffin!? Is he dead?
Update soon!
Honunjama chapter 3 . 9/25/2012
The beginning of this is again so so beautiful:) the tiled chamber, the twin stars (why it made me think of 'Labyrinth' I'm not sure). The end, with the man, I have no idea if you're being metaphorical or of if it's all a symbol for something or if it's all nothing more than it is. But I like your writing like this, all poetical and strange:)

Sukix
goudacheese chapter 2 . 9/18/2012
...yeah, I was totally not expecting anything like this. Well, then again, I didn't even know what to expect in the first place, but you know. This is kind of super surreal and it's really cool! I love how you describe everything here, and I can't wait to see how everything connects/to figure out what exactly is going on here.
ImmanenceEnsured chapter 2 . 9/18/2012