Reviews for The Hunger Game
JellicleJuggalo chapter 1 . 9/21/2012
An interesting take on third-world poverty (or, for that matter, any-world poverty; the "hot place" line suggests third-world to me though). In many ways it really IS like a twisted game. Excellent use of imagery, and the voice is interesting too, how the narrator almost seems EXCITED about this game, as if s/he either doesn't grasp or doesn't care how morbid the game is. Truly sinister. For some reason I imagine the narrator having a Victorian English accent, though that's probably just me being weird. -.-
Mylilblackpen chapter 1 . 9/18/2012
I immediately thought of The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins because in some respects I see aspects of the theme of the book here. But the last two stanzas for me really hit home the real message, poverty which is the real life 'hunger games'.

I really liked this piece because it presents this serious subject in such a new perspective which I find really interesting. I also thought that you approached the subject well. Of course I could be getting the message of the poem wrong but for me that's what I see it as.

I seem to have run out of words to type but I genuinely liked this piece. The flow, imagery and theme were perfectly executed in my opinion. However, I don't feel you should have the ellipsis because it slows the pace down and I honestly don't think it's needed. Nonetheless it was just a little suggestion in an otherwise faultless piece.
rust phoenix chapter 1 . 9/14/2012
Wow. This poem is very disturbing, but powerful. I'm definitely going to remember this for some time.
AppleCrumble chapter 1 . 9/14/2012
It reminds me of the Suzanna Collins novel. Great piece, I liked the final stanza, it was shorter than the rest and definitely made the impact.