Reviews for Fanfiction and the Concept of the Author
Ranilyn chapter 1 . 11/18/2012
That was a fun read! A really fascinating look and exploration into fan fiction! Never thought to write something like this for school. Unfortunately I was doing only a quick scan because I really ought to do my homework. I'll read it again more thoroughly some other time! But seriously, great topic you have an AP essay you have there. I personally have to write my IB extended essay soon, and this was a nice bit of encouragement. It's definitely a unique topic, and it looked like you had fun writing it. Hopefully my own writing will turn out as well as yours. _
I find this chapter 1 . 10/27/2012
quite interesting and informative. Thanks for sharing.
Guest chapter 1 . 10/7/2012
This is a fascinating essay, thanks for sharing it. I agree with many of the points you made, especially concerning the bardic tradition and folk art. I would argue that you do come across occasional great works on fanfiction websites, rare though they might be and not every writer uses suggestions from readers.
Ptfami chapter 1 . 10/7/2012
Hello!
Thank you for including me in your survey. I see the fruits of your efforts in this essay and it is impressive to say the least.
All in all, you were considerably kinder in your treatment of your fellow fanfiction writers. Despite our assumed noble intention of 'learn(ing) how the original author wrote', self gratification and vanity play a larger role in defining the reason for taking up the pen ( or rather mouse) in the forst place.
I still enjoyed your essay which was well thought out and supported by concrete arguments and relevant quotes. Well done.
Virtuella chapter 1 . 10/7/2012
This is very interesting! So many worthwhile ideas. One that rings particularly true to me is the concept of giving the characters a life beyond the confines of the books. My fascination with Vetinari is what first brought me to fanfiction, my first fic was driven by the question "How would he act if..." I've also enjoyed writing about minor characters like Verity Pushpram or Bloody Stupid Johnson.

The community aspect, of course, is crucial. This is the reason why I am more involved with the LOTR fandom than with the Discworld fandom these days; it's just a larger and more vibrant community. It's a great way to share with like-minded people, and it helps younger/less experienced writers to gain confidence and develop their skills.

But the most important point you raise, I think, is that of the understanding of authorship. People like this Mr Martin you are quoting display an unbecoming arrogance, apparently seeing themselves as individuals who create something new out of nothing. It doesn't take much thought to understand that this is utter nonsense and that nobody creates without reference to the living culture(s) in which they participate. I did my dissertation on Brecht, who is another great example of an artist who unabashedly helps himself to whatever he needs from whatever source to create his works. With Brecht, the communist, this is politically programmatic, and the Berliner Ensemble performances were more a communal work under the "brand name" Brecht than a creation of an individual.

Thanks for a very worthwhile essay.