Reviews for The Complex
VelvetyCheerio chapter 40 . 3/8/2013
To prison prison? :D? I hope he gets the shit beat out of him in prison. -_-" Asshole.

At the very least Madison is better than she was. Mixed emotions for this chapter, but well done!
VelvetyCheerio chapter 39 . 3/8/2013
I want Julius to kill her. o_o

Though, I do wonder why Cathy is so mean and heartless. I bet she doesn't have any friends. xD She's probably terrified of her uncle(in law?). Or maybe she really has no people skills, lol.

Sucks for Akeem, though. And what's up with Desmond? His hopelessness is kind of aggravating, haha. Of course, as the saying goes, things get worse before they get better. I don't know, I just feel that the longer a story runs, the more you get to explore a character and the more "real" they start to become. Especially when the genre isn't set in something like fantasy or supernatural, because there's little suspension of belief. So yeah, I am just starting to feel a little exhausted with Desmond, lol. I feel like I'm wasting my emotions on a person/character who doesn't really want them, which is how I often feel with debbie downers in real life.

Anyway, no more ranting from me. This chapter was about Jules laughing creepily in his car while following Cathy home, LOL. I think he should take out both Cathy and the boss man, though. Just, snuff out that whole line.
VelvetyCheerio chapter 38 . 3/8/2013
Ahaha, between the murdering, mental/personality disorders, and childhood trauma, I feel like this hardly counts as disturbing. When he starts live dissections on people, I will be disturbed. ._.

But yes, the first signs of a killer: killing animals. He already drowned that frog. Soon it will be someone's pet, and then he will be ready.

The progression of events runs smoothly. This chapter made me really curious suddenly about Desmond's thought processes. At one end, I'm glad the story isn't written from his POV, because that would be waayy too much angst, but on the other hand, there are a lot of things that I won't ever really know about him.

Nice chapter, overall.
VelvetyCheerio chapter 37 . 3/2/2013
Jeez, I don't know how Des even walks. I'm five-ten and the one time I weighed under 120, I slept for two days straight and was delirious for a week. Though, the gradual weight loss of anorexia is probably easier to get used to than a dramatic weight loss. Still, jeez-us. 112.5? He has to be a skeleton. :[

Curious how he avoids eating now when he was threatened with starvation in his past. Even more curious that he hates the way Julius drinks because of the past experience of their father being drunk. Interesting processes of events.

Is Cathy to be Jules's next victim? :D? I'd like to see how he deals with a woman, considering the experiences he's had with important female figures in his past. Abandonment by his mother, the kindness of his teachers and Mikey's grandmother, being scorned by Mizuki...

And finally Mikey and Bridget do something. Let the awkwardness ensue? Maybe some congratulations are in order, I dunno, haha.

Velvet.
VelvetyCheerio chapter 35 . 3/2/2013
Well this is a peaceful change. I'm glad Desmond made the choice to go to therapy. How long it'll last, I can't know, but at least he's doing something.

Akeem seems like a nice guy. I don't know if having him around will be a good influence on Des, though. The anxiety meds thing... :\ I see drug abuse in the future.

Breakups, make-ups, dramalama. Heh, I'm already impatient for Julius's next victim. xD At the very least, they are all being friends and the like.
VelvetyCheerio chapter 34 . 2/10/2013
Aww, that's sad. :[ I mean, she obviously lived through it, but that's another traumatic experience for someone to go through. Especially a child.

The therapy session was interesting. Another piece of the puzzle to this mystery concerning their dad. I wonder if their dad shot his own brother. Maybe they were just playing around and he accidentally killed his brother. Hmm. Anyway, now I know that their dad has some form of PTSD, I guess that leaves him open to a lot of flashbacks and stuff. Vietnam veteran, though. Huh. The time period must be set a bit further back then, especially considering his not that old.

Anyway, I enjoyed these chapters. Certain things are starting to make more and more sense.
VelvetyCheerio chapter 33 . 2/10/2013
Um. Wat. Just wat. WELP. I was not expecting that at all. ._.

I feel like at this point, Julius should just drag his brother to a therapist, lol.

I'm not surprised by the behaviour of Mikey, or of Bridget's new beau. He's too much of a shy guy, but damn, a girl can't wait forever. I mean, in romances they say they'll wait forever, but not in the real world. Mikey does have a bit of a tendency to lash out at his friends, though, huh?

Julius's speech, uhm, yeah. Major downer. xD It's pretty exemplary of his skewed perception of the world, though, and it definitely shows how his past - and even recent - experiences have twisted him into a bitter soul. I feel kind of bad that he chooses to see the world this way because of the way events have covered his eyes. :[
VelvetyCheerio chapter 32 . 2/10/2013
Hmm. :l Their dad's behavior just gets curiouser and curiouser. I'll admit, I'm also disappointed Des and Jules didn't leave him to die, but I'm also surprised by his method of suicide. He couldn't have shot himself in the head? Hanging? Carbon monoxide? Probably can't keep a car for all his drinking, anyway. Gosh, not even going for the wrists. Ingesting anything short of a bleach and Plumbr cocktail can only result in liver damage and maybe brain damage. Sigh. (If you can't tell, I have no sympathy for assholes)

Still, now it's not secret that their dad has some severe mental illnesses of his own. So the cycle continues to the boys. And considering their dad's bad drinking habits, I'm surprised they choose to drink as well and smoke. Des's susceptible nature already put him on the meth train. Maybe they should have taken some psychology classes while they were in school.

Well, at least they had some fun on the beach. Tiny snapshots of a brighter time in between the misery. At the very least I know they don't have to live with him forever, even if they do continue to live with the effects of his selfish behaviour.

You know, now I wonder if maybe he's been dead in that house for a while. o: That'd be cool. A Christmas came and went after all, and no one was there for him. I'm not a horrible person for wishing it, am I?
VelvetyCheerio chapter 31 . 2/10/2013
Julius is a pretty collected killer. He never squealed once, no matter how much it got to him. Again, I'd love to see how he'd react in the face of imminent capture. He knows how to lay low, but he's never struck me as the type to fabricate lies under pressure.

Poor Des at the club. He should be careful not to get jumped at late hours of the night if he ever happens to go to a bar or club on his own. :[

And I'm also a little worried about the futures of these four friends. Mostly because I have a feeling Julius will go on a killing spree without his bubble of friends to guide him. I mean, does he even have a major? What does he want to become? Killer doesn't exactly look good on resumes. xD

The character inspiration models were pretty spot on for how I imagined most of them to look, except for Julius, haha. Those eyebrows. o.o But it looks about right: intense, hawk-eyed youth with nice features. *nod of approval*

Hopefully Julius doesn't find anyone else to kill in the short time before he graduates. ._.
VelvetyCheerio chapter 30 . 2/10/2013
That kind of disappoints me, that Desmond would have had medication when he was younger but he stopped doing those things as he got older. :[ But eh, you can bring a horse to water, but you can't make it drink.

The insights are getting more and more intricate as their lives revolve less around the beatings they receive from their father and more on the aftermath of the abuse and what it has done to their young psyches.

I'm curious to find out if any other major events will occur in this stage between past and present.
American Reject chapter 1 . 2/4/2013
You know, writing and reading in first person tends to give me a massive headache if it isn't done well. But you've nailed it. The words flow easily and the story didn't fail to capture my attention. The characterization is amazing. Julius is quickly becoming a character I will love to dislike! Looking forward to reading more. :)
VelvetyCheerio chapter 29 . 2/4/2013
Ooh. Now does he really know Ed is dead? How much cyanide did he put in the toothpaste? What if it only made Ed ill? I mean, Professor Vaughn was an old man. He wasn't as substantial as Ed who probably works out and stuff. Well... we'll see.

The card game was cute. I don't know why Bridget didn't just get a mistletoe. A kiss would have been secured, hehe.

And, hooray, Mikey is innocent! I kind of suspicious of his innocence as well, but eh. If he did do it, he's probably not going to do it again for all the trouble he went through.

Woot, I'm all caught up again. I should probably stop falling behind so often, but blah. Awesome updates. I'm starting to have ideas about who that mysterious caller was, but I'll just keep that to myself until the stranger reappears. o:
VelvetyCheerio chapter 28 . 2/4/2013
Hmm, the intrigue builds. What could possibly cause their father such distress on Christmas? It would certainly be something to ask him when he's much older and slowly losing life. Uhh... ._.

Anyway, there are a lot of pieces missing in why the abuse occurs, and I like that you hint at that topic. Too many stories just have an abusive parent-a "wicked" person who just likes seeing others suffer-as the main reason for abuse. But in real life, that's not how it works. So, kudos on that.

Again, good chapter. I enjoyed it.
VelvetyCheerio chapter 27 . 2/4/2013
Des is about to lose my sympathies. I don't even have words for this. I'll just leave it at that.

At least they had Christmas together even if it was uncomfortable, ahah. Again, not much to say, but that doesn't mean I'm not enjoying reading!
VelvetyCheerio chapter 26 . 2/4/2013
An interesting chapter. I kind of figured, just by default of Julius's character, what his stance of religion would be. And I certainly can't blame him for the fallacy he came up with. He is still a child at this point, after all.

But I don't have much else to say. This was a short, revealing chapter. I wonder how it'll play out in the next one.
63 | « Prev Page 1 2 3 4 .. Last Next »