Reviews for The Complex
VelvetyCheerio chapter 25 . 1/21/2013
Oh yeah, Ed's gotta die. Wait. What am I saying? O_O" *flails* I feel like, sometimes, in situations like these, there's no other way out but murder. But no, seriously, maybe Julius should stay in the city. He's a better people person than Des. If he got a job, they could put their money together and keep the apartment. And then Ed wouldn't bother him, blah.

This is all getting so difficult. Everyone's getting older and relationships are changing and what is Mizuki even doing? Just, no. She must be really angry to hang out with Ed. That guy is a dickhole.

And then Mikey and his problems now. Did he do it? He's acting pretty guilty. This makes me wonder how Julius would act if he were ever caught for murder. Would he be guilty? Or would he get sly and crafty?

It'll be interesting, seeing how Desmond reacts to Julius's condition when they arrive. For once, he's not on the receiving end of a fist, so maybe he'll act differently.

[Let alone and Asian woman] *an

Awesome update. The plot thickens, it would seem.

VelvetyCheerio chapter 24 . 1/17/2013
More and more clues, it would seem. I'm actually not sure whether I'm for or against Julius at this point. I mean, I guess I was never against him, but he's not exactly a good guy. XD He's nice to his brother and his friends, but he's not making it easy to like him anymore. I get that he's smart, but he's kind of a jerk.

I thought it was a nice touch bringing Mikey's past back up. I hadn't really thought about in a while. I will admit, the part where Jules and Des are woken up by Mikey's screams was pretty confusing. I had to read it a couple of times to make sure I knew who was in distress.

Overall, a good chapter. I'm still wondering about the mysterious phone call and I anticipate what will happen next in Desmond and Julius's childhood next. Hopefully I can keep up with the updates, but you know, school, haha.

VelvetyCheerio chapter 23 . 1/17/2013
Heh, awesome birthday, horrible way to open this chapter though. D:

Aah, Des. I think being away from the story has given me the ability to adequately shield myself from the onslaught of drama and sadness that is Desmond. I mean, I still feel horrible for him, but now it's like, what is feeling sorry really going to do for him at this point? He needs help, there is no doubt about it now. I mean, I know he called himself a coward at one point, but sometimes you just gotta be brave and move. Do something in the positive direction.

Oh well. Julius is on the move again. I think it's interesting that so far all the people he chooses as targets are the ones who are pretty much assholes. I'm kind of waiting when he makes the mistake and kills someone who's actually a really good person. Maybe it's not even a mistake. I think that's when he moves out of the box of motive killer and into serial killer.

Though, if I think about it, Gordie wasn't that bad of a guy. Julius just had an inferiority complex.

I wonder what'll become of Mizuki. I have a feeling she'll either get on Julius's nerves so much he kills her, or she'll find out he's a killer and then he'll have to kill her. Either way, I predict her death. Dx

VelvetyCheerio chapter 22 . 1/17/2013
Ack, sorry I've been away so long. Those days leading up to going back to school are the worst. D:

Well, this was disappointing for Des and Jules. My hopes were raised at the thought of their dad going to prison, that would have been great. Grr. They should have taken pictures of the abuse.

It sucks that the safehouse was boring and gray. I can see how disruptive it would be to leave ones home and go to a place where absolutely nothing happened. Poor boys. :[

And even if their relatively safety didn't last, at least their dad left them well enough alone for a while. It's interesting, that neither their father or mother's parents are around. Even brothers or sisters. In some cases when a parent abuses their children, they usually have a love-abuse relationship with the child. The thought of losing their kid distresses them, and in turn they direct that stress onto the child. With their dad, though, it's like he doesn't even care. Which is why it's so interesting that he doesn't have siblings or parents that he could just hand the boys off to so he could be drunk and in peace all his life. Mrr.

Another informative chapter in their traumatic childhoods. It's obvious how things are shaping them now.

VelvetyCheerio chapter 21 . 12/26/2012
Wow, Julius is mowing them down like an overgrown lawn. And he keeps the murder weapon on him? That's a bold move.

I wonder if Julius is going to get caught up in the "kill once a year" thing. Considering how narcissistic he is, I wouldn't be surprised.

This chapter flew by in terms of suspense and action. I was kind of scared Julius would get caught, but he was efficient.

Not sure how I feel about Des dropping out of college just yet. So long as he doesn't go back home, I guess it should be a good thing. Finally stepping up to the role of older brother, selling art, working. He's so down on himself, though. It's like he doesn't even try to be happy! :[

The plot gets more and more intriguing with each chapter. I'm curious mostly about the fate of Desmond, but I also wonder where Julius's wicked actions will take him next.

VelvetyCheerio chapter 20 . 12/26/2012
Finally! Something productive is getting done. Even if the safehouse is worse, at least they are getting away from their dad. And if it is worse, I'll just have something else to direct my rage to, haha.

For once, I'm a little disappointed that this story is told from Julius's point of view. I want to know what Des talked to Dr. Redford about. Though, in retrospect, I think noticing that he seemed in better spirits after talking to her would be an indicator that he should probably get a therapist. It might do him some good to get all the anxiety and stuff figured out.

I'm even curious as to what their dad is like now. He has to be much older, probably in his early forties or late thirties. I'd be surprised that they'd let him beat them if he was that old. I do find it interesting that the highest incidences of elder abuse occur among families where parents were abusive to their children. Their dad should have been a nicer guy...

Nice chapter. I enjoyed it, despite my short review. I'm just glad they're getting away for a little bit.
VelvetyCheerio chapter 19 . 12/21/2012
Ooh. Who was the heavy breather on the other end of then line? :DDD Was it a cop? Was it... Gordie?! Exciting stuff.

[It was only a few days before neither one of us could stand being without the other] Probably just stylistic word choice here, but "neither" doesn't flow quite as well as "either" would.

And also, d'aww, they made up. :3 I am so happy. I totally didn't doubt they would remain friends. Not at all. *shifty eyes*

But I'm glad they have each other again. I'm pretty sure Julius would go even crazier than he already is if he didn't have his friend at his side. And while I'm on the subject: he's getting all sophisticated with his murders now, isn't he? Buying his murder weapon off the 'net probably wasn't his smartest move, though. Unless the line was secure, anyone could easily track his purchase. Also, if he paid electronically, that will definitely get him caught, unless, again, the line was secure.

Hmm, I'd like to see how he does it, though. I want Vaughn dead, too.

But alas, Julius isn't the only one suffering from a horrible teacher! D: Poor Desmond. This kid really does get the short end of the stick in everything. I hate that he called himself a pussy and I'd hate if anything worse became of this. I do think it's important that he admits his cowardice. If he could use his realization constructively, he'd definitely see changes in his life. :[ You're an ossum possum, Des, why do so many bad things happen to you! ;-;

[ the already-ridiculous prices in the caf] *cafe

[automatically writing of Desmond's and my] *off

Hehe, Julius definitely called it when he said that Mikey and Bridget would be the ones who would end up together. Or will they? Mikey is suddenly so nervous, lol. And Bridget's character is developing in interesting ways. I like that you add in these little details: the smoking, the piercings, her ease at the bars. It's awesome to see how her changes affect or don't affect the relationship of their group.

Man, so many things are happening right now inside and outside of Julius's life, to his friends, his brother. I can't imagine where you're going with the plot, but I am 100% percent behind you. Excellent cliffhanger!

VelvetyCheerio chapter 18 . 12/20/2012
And what more could happen in this horrible, horrible childhood that has not already happened? I mean, their dad could kill them, but then there would be no present, so nothing could surprise me short of prostituting them.

Ugh, well, glad to see he served time in jail, even if it was only for two days. Asshole. He deserves it. I don't have any sympathy for people who take their hurts out on others simply because they're not brave enough to stand up to themselves. Ugh.

[she wants our dad to sign some papers that would allow her to have custody over us.] I feel like "wants" should be "wanted" just to keep the flow of tenses in this sentence.

I love Mrs. Lincoln, she really is the best person ever. :] If only things had worked out, but alas! At least she tried. That is better than just continue to flap her hands in worry. I wish she would have punched him in the face. Grr. Just get in a good one for me, rawr.

This was a very intense chapter. A lot of stuff happened, between the hospital and the hug at the end. And you kept a solid pace throughout, which I envy you for, haha. I'm just really sad about that closing sentence, knowing how much Mikey meant to Julius. :[ I kind of want what is happening in the present to be a minor spat, but I don't know, man. I don't know.

I'm nervous and excited for the next chapter.

VelvetyCheerio chapter 17 . 12/19/2012
Shit appears to be hitting the fan now.

Boo that Desmond's roommate is a dickhole. I agree with Julius, he needs to call the police, or tell someone. A dean? The fact that he said Ivan was just looking for a reason to punch him makes me think that Des has not been happy the whole time he has been there. And the stress of a douchebag roommate has probably made him lose more weight. :[ Poor guy. I hope he doesn't end up in the hospital for exhaustion. Though, if he ended up the hospital they'd probably keep him there for a while and force feed him, so that'd be good. I just feel really bad because there's a startling number of male anorexics that can't get help because too many rehab clinics only allow female patients. Like, what is this foolishness? I just want to punch things.

At least they got to see each other. :'D Maybe they should look for work, support themselves. Not sure how it would work out; Des is so anxious and Jules would probably try to kill his boss, le sigh.

Is this really the end of Julius and Mikey, though? D: I don't know how I feel about this. Ugh. -.- I am so disappoint in Julius right now. He is burning bridges left and right. And now he wants to kill his teacher. Look at your choices, Julius! Thinking like a true killer, tsk tsk.

I'm not even sure if Vaughn is being genuine in his dislike of his students. When he said he was surprised, I was all, "Maybe he secretly hopes that Julius will funnel his rage into becoming a virtuoso of literature", but then he started being real dickish and I hated him. So I don't know. Maybe he's a bad guy: Julius seems to have a skewed perception of the people he can't manipulate.

Fantastic chapter. I'm worried for what part of Julius's childhood will be presented next. o.o

VelvetyCheerio chapter 16 . 12/19/2012
Ugh, I don't know why they called police in earlier chapters and not CPS. The doctor should be held in contempt for not calling CPS herself. The system probably isn't any better than their dad, but at the very least they would not be neglected and Jules would have been able to climb the ranks of education. I'm surprised, actually, that he didn't end up dropping out of school, earlier. Those that are smart but have little interest in the knowledge that they are getting at their grade level generally drop out from the sheer boredom. Pretty awesome that he made it to college, though.

Hmm, yeah, I don't have feet as deformed as Julius's. Dx That's terrible though. Their situation reminds me of those horror stories of parents who lock their children away in attics or basements and the kids grow up all deformed and mentally handicapped. Like, those are the people I just want to punch in the gonads so they never have children again.

I feel so bad for Julius, though. :[ Ugh, this childhood is just building up to be worse and worse and worse. I can see how he got to be the way he did; this is just too much. Usually life has a way of equaling out on both ends, but damn, I don't know if Jules or Des is going to get a happy ending at all. Though, I don't think life is always one big shit fest. Good things happen, even to people with the worst of backgrounds. Not sure how, but it does. Just gotta have some faith for these two. ;-;

VelvetyCheerio chapter 15 . 12/17/2012
Gosh darnit, don't you do this, Jules! ;-; Mikey was your friend, whyyy?

I'm glad he got to see Des's face, even if it was over Skype. :[ I want to believe that he's doing okay. I mean, he seemed okay. No real mention of whether he looked healthier or not. What if it's just a recording that he had set up the whole time? No, cause then it couldn't have answered the question. ._.

At the same time, though, I'm worried Julius might be a bit too obsessive over his brother. It's almost controlling the way he desires to know every aspect of Des's life; the way he is upset by the thought of Des "getting out" more.

I have all sorts of worries for whatever scenario turns out to be true. Ugh, the waiting is the hardest part. What if Des is not all right? What if he is being bullied? What if he is doing hard core drugs? What is nothing like that is happening and he's having the time of his life and holy crap, Julius, you must not ruin it for him. D:

But then I get worried that if nothing's wrong, Julius is going to pull something stupid, like, make Des feel guilty for being happy when Julius is obviously freaking out. This relationship is all sorts of messed up.

Lol, Tom, always so excited.

I knew the dynamic between Julius and Mikey was changing. I guess I didn't suspect it to go down like that, though. :[ I can't tell how Mikey feels about the situation. I wonder if he's tired of living under the genius of his friend. Or, maybe he's tired of trying to deal with Julius in general? Ack, why is life so complicated and painful? T_T

This is why I never leave my house anymore! :D

Awesome chapter, thanks for the updates! They were fantastic.

VelvetyCheerio chapter 14 . 12/17/2012
So glad to get into the lives of these characters again! I hate their dad so much, though, oh my lord I will hurt something. Gah, I've always hated people (parents, especially) who can't look past themselves for one stupid minute to see that they might be harming the delicate nature of someone else. Like, grow the fuck up! This is no longer about you, there are small children who need guidance and you're just being too big of a dickhole aoieuhekgak!

If their dad was conveniently murdered, I would not even feel a lick of sadness.

[Something had to be done.] That's an ominous line. Are they gonna beat the crap out of him? Poison him? Set a wild pack of dogs upon him? 8D I have a lot of torture ideas! *shifty eyes*

I feel so bad for Des. I feel like if he got to be like Jules is now he'd be a stereotypical serial killer. He'd probably be the type to kill women who rejected him because it triggered the unseated rage he has against his mother for leaving him. It's probably a good thing he's so scrawny and anxious.

Another excellent chapter!

CacoethesScribendi17 chapter 14 . 12/15/2012
I'm sorry it's been so long, but...school. This story ceases to amaze me and I hope you update soon.
VelvetyCheerio chapter 13 . 12/14/2012
Review courtesy of the Review Marathon. Link in my profile!

I'm sad because I'm caught up, but I'm also relieved because I'm caught up, haha.

It really sucks for Jules that he can't change professor's now. Ugh, I feel for him. I kept thinking to myself, "Vaughn can't be the only English professor", but now he's stuck with the guy. How can they take his scholarship away when he's only failing one class? D: I don't want him to go back home. I want him to run away and enjoy a life as a serial killing hobo. Er...

I like Mizuki. I like the fact that Julius has friends, lol. I was worried for a while that he would be too preoccupied with studies and missing Des to deal with interactions. But I like Mizuki because he likes Mizuki and I approve of anything Jules takes a liking to. xD Plus, she's pretty understanding of his struggles and it makes me happy that there's someone he can relate to.

I don't like the fact that there has been a serious lack of Desmond! D: I miss the scrawny kid already. I'm scared that he's dead and someone is using his cellphone and pretending to be him. *flails* I'd be sad if Julius's predictions that he was holding Des back from greatness were true, but I still want to see him. Of course, he's not real, so I can't physically see him, but you know what I mean.

["Is is Desmond?"] *it

I have gotten so attached to these characters, haha! I guess I never said this, but your writing is fantastic. I think that's what really gets me so engaged in the story. The writing flows smoothly; it keeps me wonder. Julius's head is just a fascinating place to be overall. His "complex" is fascinating. It's fun to see who he fixates on next. It's interesting to watch his obsessions grow and contort, his ego engulf everything. Not enough stories go as in depth into the psyche of a character as you have with Julius and I commend you for this feat. It really has been a thrill of a read, from the beginning to now.

Fantastic work, I'm definitely rooting for you!

VelvetyCheerio chapter 12 . 12/14/2012
I don't even know what I feel after reading this chapter. I did like the scene with the frog. Jules feelings of fear when realized his brother had seen him seemed very typical. It reminded me of those Dexter promos where Dexter is feeling very unsure about his sister knowing he's a killer. I feel like in a situation like that, the killer either is more careful, or he eliminates the witness. Considering Des is still alive, Jules obviously got more careful.

Again, I find that tick in Des's personality very intriguing. This time he directed that anger toward his brother, no less! It really shows that perhaps Des is the more dangerous one in the relationship since his anger is seemingly unpredictable. He also has less remorse. He didn't even bother to say sorry! This is not how brothers should act. :[

I did feel bad for them both, coming to realize their situation of no longer having a mother. It makes me mad at their mother. I mean, there's no hard evidence that she died so why didn't she take them with her? She obviously felt strong enough to leave, why wasn't she strong enough to take her children? Mrr.

The back story on Bridget was heart breaking, but cute at the same time. Children can be real dicks sometimes, I swear. I'm glad they all managed to be friends, though. :) Bridget turned out pretty all right, everything considered.

63 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 .. Last Next »