Reviews for Industrial Revolution Letter
lpl
lolz12 chapter 1 . 3/4
booo!yeah!111
not Ross chapter 1 . 10/25/2012
Question: how much do you know about farming?

I mean, it doesn't pay well to be a farmer. Definitely no better than it pays in a mine. If farming was more lucrative, no one would have moved to the cities. Farming is dangerous. Children died all the time, for various reasons. Farming is hard work - long hours, sun-up to sunset, no worse than any mine. And maybe no one bathed, but did they bathe on farms either? I'd bet no, hardly ever. That to say, what makes farming so much better than city work? A farmer could stay on his farm if it really was that much better. Besides, as far as I know, a few cents a day was not that bad a deal way back when.

Meanwhile, more tools are being invented, such that the farmers who are still tilling their fields instead of working in the factories can produce larger quantities, which means more food for everyone, including city workers. Because of the more efficient farming, less people had to stick to their crops, and thus more people were able to go to work in the cities, and thus the economy of whatever country industrialized grew at an astonishing rate. When a country has a healthy economy, all its citizens benefit (especially by this time, assuming we're in England, because the Bill of Rights has probably passed, granting more rights than before to the average joe).

Anyway, while your letter is good in that you capture the common view of the industrial revolution in a very emotional and captivating way, I just don't think the common view is all that accurate - people just don't stop to think. Things to chew on. Best luck in all future writing endeavors!