Reviews for A Drunken Haze
Guest chapter 1 . 10/31/2012
This surreal account of relatively successful person tells that accomplishment is not a guarantee that one will prevail in the realms of love. Indeed, more than rejection, pining is the most painful form of unrequited love. All in all, the thoughts laid down in this work are vivid from the first square inch down to the last. It is deliberately and carefully written.
LifeInTechicolour chapter 1 . 10/31/2012
Love the characterisation of Sal. Also liked how he had to get drunk to say something important.
Krystal Watters chapter 1 . 10/30/2012
First thing, I'm going to say that "courting" is a term from the 1800s in my neck of the woods. I don't know about where you are though, so I'm just pointing it out more than critiquing.

Also, May turned into Mae at one point.

But I didn't really feel the dynamics of the friendship and the dialogue seemed a bit bland. I also didn't feel the weight of his "confession". I feel like there wasn't enough back story built in to illustrate the significance. most of it came all at once in one large chunk of speech.

I also didn't see the purpose of the character being so emphatic about remaining sober, especially when the others said he had three days off... and especially since it seemed like he wanted to tell his secret

And from a layman's perspective, if the point of the story is telling the secret, then you may be able streamline the med school rotation stuff at the beginning. It was a bit cumbersome as an introduction to the story, I think.

I'm not trying to sound harsh, just give the most analysis I can to help.
dayofwrath chapter 1 . 10/30/2012
This was just unbelievable.

Your writing style is amazing and you've gotten your point across really well! The part where you introduced Sal was unclear at first, but I understood it as I read further. It almost looked like you were going for something Hemingway-esque, and if that was your intention, congratulations! You did it!

Great piece overall. I'm glad to have read it.