Reviews for So You Think You Can be Equal
Guest chapter 1 . 1/25
This makes sense from the point of view that women are defined by their reproductive organs and gender roles. But once women are treated as human beings with a right to equal treatment, this goes out the window.
I, too, am a female, but I have no desire to start a family because there are already enough people on this planet. And-if I ever did in the future- I would expect my partner to put in just as much effort and take just as much time off work.
Most women do not start popping out babies left and right enough that it starts to seriously affect their value to the company. There's morning sickness, a decreased lack in mobility, and some time off (depending on how much the partner is willing to help). The CIA estimates that the average number of children per family is 2.06.
Women live longer on average. That means they will have to support themselves on less pay for a longer period of time for basically the same amount of work as a man, and that it isn't really a temporary problem.
Pay should be based on merit, not sex. I hate the cultural assumption that all women must want to have giant families because it's in their genes. If we're going to assume that humans are no better than their natural instincts, then we must throw out another assumption vital to our culture: that humans are better than other animals because we have mastered our instincts.
K. A. Oceana chapter 1 . 5/12/2013
Hmm... It's an interesting topic to argue on. One could argue both sides of it. Personally, I think wages should be based on how hard the person works. Obviously, if one person works super hard, always comes into work unless they're dying (or having a baby), they should get paid a good amount of money. I know one woman who worked as a teacher in the times where, if you were a married woman, you were made redundant. She got married in the middle of the year where it would be awkward to get a new teacher. She basically dragged herself to work every day, practically working until the day before she was due to have a child. I think that with this commitment, you should be paid a good amount of money.

Alternatively, like you said, women are more likely to get pregnant. So there are two sides to this argument. I'm just saying that wages should be paid on how hard you work, regardless of your gender, age or race. Maybe that's just me.

And of course, human beings are worth more than 30,000. Ha ha.

K
Guest chapter 1 . 4/10/2013
I think women and men should be paid equally.
DarkAngelGal chapter 1 . 11/4/2012
Ok...u have a point. I still think woman should be treated equal-meaning they get equal pay.
Sorry, but I believe tht everyone is equal! No matter what gender, race, sexuality or species! (yes, i did say species, lol!)
Still, even if woman may be less hired than men if they do get equal pay, at least the pay will be equal and they'll get paid more!