Reviews for Anywhere but Here
Shade the Raven chapter 25 . 2/11/2013
What a ride!
I'm glad at least Stoll died a soldier's death, and Lelie ...that was just sad. While I admit that death was the softest way to go for her, there was still so much more left for her before the end.
Dongeal was quite the bastard, but quite the intimidating one. Reminds me a bit if Ton Phanan and Lobo had a son, in that horrifying way. But I do find him intriguing, and wonder just how far he had to fall to get to that point.

By far, my favorites in this story are Tych and Aral. Tych's optimism really helps glue the Runaways together, even if he doesn't know it. And overall, Aral has quite the loveable rogue streak to him, like Han Solo if he had stayed with the Imperial Navy. I'd love to read more of the Hounds adventures, even with Aral and Ardess together.

Overall, this was a great read, and plenty of open ends are left for sequel fodder. Awesome work!
Shade the Raven chapter 17 . 1/2/2013
And there's the tipping point right there. Which honestly I think makes sense for Lelie, since she isn't a fighter in the slightest degree, nor is she really even that sly beyond her charm. And I think Tych might be next, since the classic question of who is right and who isn't has been raised as his friend falls.
But first, running.
Shade the Raven chapter 16 . 1/2/2013
So, a mistake from the last chapter, as I thought Aral was actually there. My bad.
I still think that there is a more intimate side between Aral and Ardess, but the professional side is very well hit on. There's quite a lot of spite there.
And it doesn't surprise me that Zera has slid back into an old trade, even one last time. Money brings prosperity, and this is far less risky than the husband's line of work...usually.
Lastly, go Tych!
Shade the Raven chapter 15 . 1/2/2013
And suddenly the Imperium takes on a very Communist approach. Arcadia from description sounds like a haunting representation of North Korea, minus the isolation. Well done!
I think this chapter started to answer my earlier question for Lelie, and just how much more she can take. Her and Imien are going to be an interesting duality.
And Aral gets just what he was looking for, delivered right to his door. Well played, Ardess.
Shade the Raven chapter 14 . 1/2/2013
And so begins the awkward aftermath...
Tych's reactions are just priceless for this ship and want to fly. I think he's quickly becoming my favorite among the runaways.
So now lets see if Ardess is really as cunning as she attempts to be, or if the Hounds will get there first.
Shade the Raven chapter 13 . 1/2/2013
I was wondering when this bit of backstory would hit. And it makes sense for a man so conditioned as Stoll to be so...clumsy at such an art. It gives a glimpse as to how completely such things have been discarded or muted.
Though with this encounter, I do have to wonder just how complete Lelie's love really goes, now that she sees what she's up against in both mind and heart.
Shade the Raven chapter 12 . 12/20/2012
And now I'm really thinking Adress has some history with Zera, maybe even more that Aral given the level of disdain while doped up. Of course, I wonder if the same will affect Lelie in regards to Imien.
The last chapter was a great round-up of the Hounds, and I do hope to see more of them. They The definitely have that war-forged bond going so far, especially Cora and Brock.

Keep it up!
Shade the Raven chapter 10 . 12/20/2012
Well that explains why Imien is around. And worth the wide berth even Stoll gives her.
A bold move though, stealing the Justiciar. Wonder if Aral remembered any kind of safety measures...

So far there is a good sense of panic and tension for the runaways, even if they might have just got what they wanted. So lets see who hunts them now if not the cunning wolf.
Shade the Raven chapter 9 . 12/20/2012
And now let's see whose left standing, and just how strong Stoll really is.
Also, it's good to see Aral using both common sense and intelligence in actually trying to capture them r convince them, not just mowing them all down. I like Aral!
Shade the Raven chapter 8 . 12/20/2012
Well that didn't go well...
But Adress' actions do make sense, even for a smuggler. Give up the obvious trap, keep the contraband since that isn't what what they are looking for.
Though I do wonder just how this little history between Aral and Adress goes, and if Zera has any part in that.

Great work!
Shade the Raven chapter 7 . 12/5/2012
Oh snap!
There really aren't enough female captains, especially smugglers or gunrunners. Already, I get kind of a Mirax Terrik vibe from Ardress, and I hope I'm right on that one. And I do agree with Stoll on this one, as I don't know how he manages to watch his beloved seduce another and stay silent.
I look forward to seeing just how Lelie is gonna talk her way out of this one...

Great work!
Shade the Raven chapter 5 . 11/30/2012
And now I see the Justicar on the cover of this book. Very Millennium Falcon-esque with the revamped engines, which is a smart approach for a Hound.
But will they be fast enough to catch the Ridout, which is suddenly sounding more like a real smuggler's ship, or maybe even slave-trader. Stoll might want that gun now.
Shade the Raven chapter 4 . 11/30/2012
And enter the hunter.
I already like the dynamic here with these two, as even in science fiction, it hits close to home. There is no doubt so far that Aral is at least noble enough to realize the darker aspects of his trade, all those things that scare Zera. I look forward to seeing him in pursuit.

Keep it up!
Shade the Raven chapter 3 . 11/30/2012
There is a lot of character building in this one, which I really like. Both the descriptions and subtle hints of backstory help fill in the larger gaps as to who these four are and why they would work together at all. Now to see if they will be together for much longer, with the sudden boarding party.

Looking forward to more!
Shade the Raven chapter 2 . 11/13/2012
There is some good suspense and tension in this chapter, as one would expect with a prison escape. I look forward to seeing Stoll loose his cool and breaking things, along with Tych's utter joy at flying something or just how much and far back Stoll and Lelie go.
That being said, and this might just be me, but the intro sentences is really jarring. It took me a few read-throughs to make realize it wasn't missing any words.
Also, the line: "She hadn't bothered to investigate their surroundings when they'd sneaked on board" sticks out to me, and maybe you would agree, but what about "She hadn't bothered to investigate their surroundings when they had snuck aboard".

Anyways, a great starting chapter to an adventure. Looking forward to more!