Reviews for Soda machines
muddling chapter 1 . 8/19/2013
I'm curious, why are you posting these essays on here? The whole series, I mean. Regardless of what I think of them, I'm curious why these are what you chose to share with everyone.

As for the essay, I find it amusingly simplistic, which I suppose you can take as an insult. "Obesity is generally caused by over consumption of unhealthy foods like sugars and fats." Are you citing that from your own extensive research on the causes of obesity? Are you sure that it isn't a consequence of a more lethargic lifestyle? What percentage of that 20% (from "surveys") is caused by unhealthy foods as opposed to hormonal problems, lack of exercise, and genetics? I assume that the statement that when there are healthy nutrients and energy drinks for kids and teens to drink, obesity isn't much of a problem must be based on the experiences with several schools which had significant drops in obesity when they replaced soda machines with gatorade or something else "healthy," right?

Would schools start searching children to make sure they weren't bringing the soda in from other places? Or do surveys also indicate that most kids won't just bring a soda to school or buy it from somewhere nearby if they want it and can't get it from a soda machine. Really, this would only restrict sodas to those with access to soda's elsewhere. Is the problem really that children have too much soda exclusively while at school?

As for the idea that soda machines should be kept on campus because of the black market that will develop if they are removed, can't the same be said for drugs and alcohol? A black market exists for them. So it seems like you'd be in favor of regulated vending machines for them at schools.

Why am I even bothering with this?
Mistress of Madness chapter 1 . 1/4/2013
... Our school doesn't have a soda machine TTATT
D.The.Writer chapter 1 . 11/28/2012
Excellent arguement, great detail, short and brief. I like it. Job well done.