Reviews for Me and Levi - Chapter Three
Marionette chapter 1 . 10/25/2013
Awe. That's a cute story.
You had a baby at 8 though?
Who is the father?
Courtney chapter 1 . 10/9/2013
Maddie,

I find your writing intriguing. My daughter is 14 and LOVES to write. Writing is about expressing yourself and expanding your creativity. I don't think anyone should judge you for your writing. It doesn't matter if it is fiction or non fiction. I like the openess about your writing and how you are able to express yourself.

My daughter once wrote about a paper that tries to shake off her words and run away.

Keep up the good work and keep writing! You are doing great and I look forward to reading more of your stories.

Courtney
Maddie10 with ucat42 chapter 1 . 10/9/2013
Sheesh. I can write what I like, whatever topic I like. Sheesh, once again. It's fine 10-12 behavior. I'm not even sure why you are saying the word "behavior" because you have never met me in your life and have no idea how I act, and if you did you'd know that I act like a normal person. Which I am. You really shouldn't assume you know people's lives.

Maddie
concerned chapter 1 . 10/9/2013
it's not that she should quit writing. this is just not a topic that an 10-12 year old show be writing about.
she does have potential writing, i think she just needs to maybe, idk, come up with something other than getting pregnant at 8? does she even understand how that would happen? i'm sure i could find case studies supporting that this is not normal kid behavior..
The Solver chapter 1 . 3/29/2013
I love hearing about your life and Levi and everything. Also, I don't see how people could think you have ADD just from your writing... Love the stories!
Angela5671 chapter 1 . 2/23/2013
Maddie, keep writing! You have such a good imagination and you are very creative. Hope your future is filled with books on the best sellers list.
spndean chapter 1 . 1/17/2013
this 1 seem so real had me hooked had 2 c what happen .
Jragirl chapter 1 . 1/14/2013
I love your stories Maddie! You are a wonderful writer. Don't let anyone tell different! :)
Guest chapter 1 . 12/15/2012
Good fiction is much more than a creative outlet. Good fiction is life writ large through the use of small slices of life. Good fiction has conflict, rising action, an apex and a denouement. Good fiction captures readers' minds and, sometimes, their hearts.

MaddieB has written several fictional stories, all of which I have reviewed. I am not a professional critic so Matthew Arnold's legacy is quite safe from the likes of me. Yet this author, this "pre-teen author," consistently writes with clarity and overall cohesiveness. Not once have I found any of her stories to be lacking and I'm picky, I look for this sort of thing.

Her grammar, structure, story development and use of mood & setting are advanced beyond what adults seemingly prefer from an author her age.
Or, perhaps, she is that good.

"How can a little girl write about motherhood" has become some sort of battle cry among the author's detractors. My counters: "how can some men write women so well" or "how can a human author write from the perspective of a spider."

I urge readers to read what is written without personal interjection of approval or dis-. Any reader who chooses to immerse himself ('him' is a pronoun, get over it) in any one of MaddieB's stories will be pleasantly surprised at each story's construction, forethought and downright 'readability.'

There is one problem, however, with this last of my reviewed stories and that is the author's use of direct address. Direct address is one of those literary tricks best employed in a more intimate fictional setting. Robert Browning is 'Da Man' of direct address and his "My Last Duchess" the epitome of its usage.

Literature's primary purpose is to entertain and MaddieB does that very well in the first half of her narrative. Here, the issue is not that author addresses her audience, but admonishes us. We readers like instruction if it is secondary.

This reviewer is going to draw a 175-year line to Robert Browning and his unusual method of audience capture. Direct address was never used in Victorian literature; it was the province of essayists and speech makers. Browning had private tutors and read his way through his father's personal library (then, the largest in England) and was marked as "uneducated." His lack of formal instruction did not slight his poetry and only delayed his reputation and eventual reception as one of the most brilliant, if unusual, literary minds of the 19thC.

MaddieB has yet to prove her writing is anywhere near the caliber of Browning's.
Oh, wait, every critic of RobertB's time said he couldn't write, either.
Phoebe chapter 1 . 12/2/2012
I get that they are not your blood siblings but do you? If they were adopted then they would e your siblings but the family of your nanny is not your family- they're just close friends. When you call them your brother and sisters, it gives people the wrong idea
Phoebe S chapter 1 . 12/2/2012
I can't believe that people are referring to you as "wise beyond your years" all I see here is a typical 11 year old girl with an imagination. If anything, you are more immature than a normal 11 year old. At your age, I was writing mysteries and other types of short stories. I knew that they were stories and I didn't try to convince anyone that they were anything more than fictional. It seems like you are lonely and wish for a bigger family but this is not a healthy outlet. You can't create a new family out of thin air. Be thankful that you have a father who cares for you. I bet that you make him feel guilty when you pretend that you have more family.
Guest chapter 1 . 12/2/2012
I know I hav'nt been following you like some others and I maynot respond to every tweet to be truthfull me and the world of tweeting its a hit and Miss afair but from what I have just read you have one heck of an Imagination whatever way you use it .
keep writing Maddie Because you are THAT GOOD .
Gina chapter 1 . 12/2/2012
Any child would be lucky to be as loved as Levi.
Sandra Lisa Dawn chapter 1 . 12/2/2012
Maddie,..this is the first story I have read (so far)..sorry I am slow,..but I always take my time when I read! ..I look forward to reading more,..you have much talent sweetheart!..very good :)
Patricia Davis chapter 1 . 12/2/2012
This is a well-constructed piece. The young author describes Levi while not falling back on the ever-popular (and ever-nauseating) notion of outlining a character through physical characteristics.

If I was called upon to classify this piece, it would be as a stand-alone short story. The author has woven a beginning, a middle (with burgers!) and an end in one page. I invite more senior writers, or those with writing experience to do the same. Economy of words is a great gift and MaddieB has demonstrated that she possesses it.

The only revision an editor would make would be striking the last half-dozen paragraphs. The line "I raise my son with love, confidence and happiness" is the logical conclusion to this piece.

However complete this is (and it is), direct address does not work in so intimate a story; neither does defensiveness. Readers judge because they cannot create. Authors write because they cannot conceive of not creating.

I would be delighted if this author were to construct a multi-part (think Dickens) story in which she addresses the misplaced 'concern' of certain readers. Such concern is more than often not actual concern; it is, instead, harsh and small-minded criticism from those unable to separate the personality of the writer from the persona which the writer has created.

I look forward to more from this author.