Reviews for Higher Expectations
Ivycloak chapter 5 . 12/6/2012
Wow...talk about background stories. Poor Carrie! How could her dad do something like that to her?
THe relationship between Carrie and Lucas is developing really well. It is very natural. Nice!
Hippy-Princess-Razorart chapter 5 . 12/6/2012
LOVE. Like. Reallly love it. Holy cow.. I feel. Better about myself reading this..
Mai Jagyar chapter 4 . 12/4/2012
Makes me frustrated that you left it with that, but that just makes me have to wait for the next chapter and Carries response, dang you! *shakes fist* I like your take with this story. Keep writing!
Hippy-Princess-Razorart chapter 4 . 12/4/2012
I adore this story. Greatly. holycow..
Ivycloak chapter 4 . 12/4/2012
Ooh! You're leaving me hanging!
Ivycloak chapter 3 . 12/3/2012
I think this could develop into a romance!
So Lucas has some sort of sixth sense that lets him determine his surroundings? If so, you may want to place this story under fantasy. He can sense things like large cracks in the sidewalk, curbs on streets, etc? That's pretty cool.
I'm a little surpised people aren't noticing he's blind. Unless his sixth sense is even more useful than you hinted in this chapter, he probably wouldn't ahve the tendency to face people head on when talking. People who have been blind from birth or a young age generally don't have the instinct to face someone that they are talking to, so Lucas would probably be tilting his head so that one of his ears faced the speaker.
ANyway, thanks for this chapter! It was really interesting!
Ivycloak chapter 2 . 12/2/2012
It sounds FANTASTIC! Looking forward to seeing more of Lucas's past. Wouldn't he have a cane for unfamiliar areas or a guide dog though? I have read several blind fictions, and generall character manage fine in a familiar area, but if they have never been somewhere before they need some way to detect obstacles. He probably would also have been to some sort of school for the blind, or at least had mobility and orientation lessons to get used to using canes, the method for knowing where your food is on a plate, the way to tell your different clothes from each other, etc.
Also, I would just like to point out a minor detail in your story. You say that Lucas's mother takes his arm. The proper way to lead a blind person is called "sighted lead." In it, the blind person takes ahold of the arm of the leader, so that he has control over the situation. With this method the blind could let go if they are beginning to feel uncomfortable with the leader. People tend to get uncomfortable if someone is sort of dragging them places.
I suggest you read a few other blind fics and books to pic up some techniques that real people use; it'll give your story a really good solidity.
But anyway...sorry for the long rambling review; I'm going to follow this, because decent blind stories are rare and yet some of my favorites! Keep it up!
Mai Jagyar chapter 2 . 12/2/2012
I loved the flow of the story, your writing as well. Keep it up! I am waiting for the next chapter impatiently :p