Reviews for Stockholm
AlysonSerenaStone chapter 1 . 10/7/2013
I loved it and thought this was very well written! I loved the whole dying together like Romeo and Juliet. You have very smooth writing style and I didn't see any typos. Great work!
Moon-shine-Kiera chapter 1 . 3/11/2013
Wow that was brutal. You really know how to make a reader feel.
Fallingstar123 chapter 1 . 3/1/2013
Hey. Andrew here. Karla has reviewed your story on fallingstar awards after recieving it as a nomination, if you would like to comment, see for yourself or ask us to take it down please follow the link in our profile page.

Freekydisaster18 weaves a unique and frankly disturbing plot. Short and to the point, we are told the dark story of Alice and Austin which left me literally speechless. Even now, I'm struggling to find the words to express the feelings this short story has left me with. I don't generally like stories that leave me feeling darker emotions, and these are certainly that.

Austin is a serial killer. He kidnaps women and alters their appearance and name to that of Alexandria, be that a past love that he killed or died I'm not sure of, but the fact that he does alter future women and end up killing them is disturbing enough.

Normally when considering whether I enjoyed or liked a story I think about the main character. This is more complicated here, for obvious reasons you'll see when you read it, but we'll take Alexandria/Alice. I don't like her as such, I hate the way she speaks about her past life as Alice, about Austin, but that is where the writing is perfect. I've never encountered someone with Stockholm syndrome, never read of someone who has been manipulated into falling for their captor and not actually have been them to decide to, but this is how I think it should go, realistically.

The only negative thing I can think to say is the constant use of said-isms. Each to their own, but I'm one for said is the stronger word in most cases, the said-ism should be written into the dialogue in way that means it can be left unsaid.

Well I feel I've rambled on enough, whilst I'm so confused about what I'm feeling. If that's not the sign of a good story I don't know what is.

If you're one for sick and twisted, dark and desperate stories this is one for you; if you're one for happy endings or sweet, mutual seperations and heartache, I personally would still say you should give this one a try.
fellintothemoon chapter 1 . 1/18/2013
This is a beautiful piece of writing. Such a creative way to interprete the prompt. It almost leaves me speechless.

You are a beautiful writer, Helen. This is truly spectacular (heart)

M
fairydustillusion chapter 1 . 1/12/2013
loved this! so thought-provoking, unlike most of what gets posted on fictionpress. it was so darkly twisted and creepy, but I couldn't stop reading. again, like in Romeo and Juliet, the readers are faced with the important question: is it obsessive lust or real love? and can obsessive lust be enough to substitute for love?
InkWitch chapter 1 . 1/6/2013
That was beautiful. I'm awed.
thenifoundfivedollars chapter 2 . 1/6/2013
HELEN.

I said Melissa earlier. Bleh. Oh well, I love you both. :)

I'll try and spread the word about the petition. I really hope that the numbers are too big to ignore, but we shall see...
thenifoundfivedollars chapter 1 . 1/6/2013
W-ooooo-w.

I am in awe at the moment, so I apologize if this review is a jumbled, babbling mess. This is the best Romeo and Juliet based story I have ever read. Ever. I am so amazed at your ability to write. The tone was that of a gritty, crime scene investigative show, but between Stevie's personality and the subtle clues at her relationship with Carter, it had everything I love in a cliche, fictionpress story. And this one was not in the least cliche.

I lovelovelove Stevie's character. She was bold and badass and strong and levelheaded and cool. I cannot say enough nice things about her. She really is what I want in a FP female lead. So bravo to you! :D

As for the ending, I think it was so beautiful and tragic, just perfect. It really spoke volumes in regard to tying it in to the heart of Romeo & Juliet. Yes, it's hard to want Alice/Alexandria to get her happy ending, but it WAS her tragically beautiful ending and it worked. I cannot even express how pleased I am with this. I'm definitely looking forward to reading more by you Melissa! Especially something not so short, but ohmygosh so perfect.

I'll stop rambling now, and I know I owe you an actual review (one that's not so scatterbrained) but for now - I love it! Thank you for sharing. Stockholm is a much deserved SC win! So congratulations!
Julietish chapter 1 . 1/5/2013
Ugh, I loved this. This was absolutely incredible to read. Above all, the mood stood out. The way you described Alice’s personality was beyond enticing, I could feel the venom in her tone. I loved her sick desperation for Austin. She has this twisted, dark aura because she’s so deeply in love and that’s something I couldn’t get enough of. The enigma of Austin was marvelous. When you were describing the train ride, I completely connected to Alice when she said that the most attractive part about him was his scent. My mind went straight to Polo Black, the cologne that Attractive Guy wears.

I honestly think you couldn’t have crafted this one-shot any better. I like how it’s written in Stevie’s POV yet I get an enormous amount of insight into Alice’s mind. The dynamics between Stevie and Carter are subtle, but they’re very there at the same time.

I REALLY look forward to reading more about Stevie’s future chronicles.

Also, congratulations on winning first for this prompt of Round V Star-Cross’d! Should’ve been obvious from the raving review, eh?
Peachy-09 chapter 1 . 12/5/2012
Oh my days, this was fantastic! It was beautiful and yet extremely creepy! I adore it! I mean not many people could write a romance story about Stockholm Syndrome and make it seem like the most natural thing to write! Beautiful writing as always. Excellent! I hope we see more of this, especially Stevie!
StreetsOfGold chapter 1 . 12/4/2012
Only you could take something so creepy and different and still make it into such a beautiful piece of writing! I really loved the way you developed the story into such a warped kind of love. I also loved all of your vivid descriptions!
stuck in bed chapter 1 . 12/4/2012
I remember seeing the last line on formspring - and I remember thinking it was amazing. I was wrong. It's much, much better than I had even imagined. What I'm compleeetely jealous of is your plot. Helen, seriously, how do you even think of that sort of stuff?

It was really creepy how Austin made all the girls become "clones" of Alexandria and I do think he only ever loved the original one. Maybe he only thinks he loves Alice because she's like Alexandria. And the list. :OOO That was really freaky. But that's what made Austin a really interesting character even if he doesn't appear.

DI Stevie seems like a detective I'm going to have to keep an eye on. I loooove mysteries.

The only thing I caught was: "With a sigh, she heaved herself up and shared a look with her partner." which shouldn't have a comma after "sigh". It sounds a little strange with a pause.

I should read more of your stories now that I think of it...
happypenguin01 chapter 1 . 12/3/2012
Ohmygod Helen, I'm so so so in love with this story. You put a totally different spin on a typical "romance" and really made the prompt your own! I love how in the beginning, it starts out with the cliche "she's beautiful" and then turns into a creepy tale about a warped sort of love. The characters and situations felt super real and you're so imaginative. Again, can't even express how much I love this.
Laurieleigh92 chapter 1 . 12/3/2012
Darker, different and descriptive! What a great read to wake to.
AFractionOfMySoul chapter 1 . 12/2/2012
I like Stevie. Clever, how you used R&J in this.