Reviews for I Suck at Summaries
K. A. Oceana chapter 1 . 3/11/2013
This essay is really interesting. I agree that summaries are very important. When I write summaries, I think of a blurb at the back of a book. Nice essay. Hopefully people will read it and take notice!

Krystal Oceana
sorensendash chapter 1 . 12/26/2012
It's interesting that this essay section is mainly just people complaining about things...sorry, not a criticism, just speculating on something.

A few things, I agree with your rant. People do not put a lot of value in the "summary" section for their story, and I hope your likening a story to an advertisement helps some people better grasp how important a summary is to the story. It is incredibly annoying to be searching for something worth reading and all I find are people telling me they don't know how to write but, please, please, please, read their story.

I wanted to mention a point I felt you missed about those authors that claim not to be able to write a summary, generally, it's because there is no story. I've found that these tend to be the same people who write a chapter or several chapters and then post an 'author's note' saying something along the lines of: "I don't know what else to do, so give me ideas you guys...", which is a huge pet peeve of mine.

A summary is really a true test of how well developed your story is overall. For me, the summary always comes first and if I can't write a summary of the story, then it's most likely because I have no story.

Another thing I wanted to mention, just in defense of those who struggle to write "summaries" for fictionpress and also its sister-fanfiction-site, neither of these sites actually have a large enough space to allow for a proper 'summary' of a story. Summaries tend to be a few paragraphs in length and tend to get greater in depth about a plot, including one of the things you mentioned you hate, going minutely into details about main characters involved. What these sites really give you room for at best is a 'tagline', which is a completely different crafting from a summary. For example, your "A man and a woman walk into a bar. She has a gun. He has a ring in his pocket." is not a summary, but it is a great tagline. Totally different crafting.

A good rant overall.
Guest chapter 1 . 12/21/2012
You hit the nail right on the head. Every notation I've ever considered when I read "sorry i suck at summrys" has been elaborated on in this passage, and in a well-worded fashion to boot. Thanks for putting it out there; wish all of Fiction Press and Fanfiction could see it.
Guest chapter 1 . 12/21/2012
I like this a lot! I'm really someone has written about this "I-Suck-At-Summeries" issue, I admit I'm an offender but that's because I really don't know what to say and when I do write a synopsis it's always too long or unappealable to readers; so thank you for writing this for I will Certainly be using your suggestions and advice!
naga sayap chapter 1 . 12/21/2012
This is so true! I WONT, i'm mean like for any reason, will I read a book who's summery simple says, I suck at this but please read anyway. No way. sorry, just doesn't interest me.