Reviews for The Bear and the Pecan Tree
mecoolunot chapter 1 . 9/25/2013
That was absolutely beautiful. Great job :)
Readysetread chapter 1 . 9/21/2013
Wonderful writing. You have a gift.
Kiaranaria chapter 1 . 8/28/2013
... I don't know what to say too this...
It was great, and hart, but really good. Thank you
AlysonSerenaStone chapter 1 . 7/30/2013
This was very cool. I like the analogy of a bear and a pecan tree. You did a very nice job! :)
Nesasio chapter 1 . 7/26/2013
Congrats on winning the WCC!

Opening: I didn't think the opening sentence was a very strong start. I can understand the choice since the end ties in and it immediately introduces the story that is the main symbol in this story. But it didn't have much impact/grab for an opening. Maybe rephrasing it would help.

Ending: I'm really happy with this ending. On an enjoyment level, I was pleased it wasn't a tragic ending. I was expecting a bad turn at the end, but it worked out so nicely. Hope is good. Also, I liked how the end line tied in with the opening story, bringing a new ending to the story the narrator spent so long trying to rewrite.

Writing/Techniques: Overall, I thought this was a well-written piece. There were some nice details in the descriptions, like the wilted cotton and personification of the Mississippi. Two things stood out to me, though: there was a lot of repetition of the idea that these two shouldn't meet, and it didn't seem to build to anything. In one or two paragraphs I think it was repeated 2-3 times and that just confused me a little. Secondly, the narrator's voice didn't seem consistent to me. This one's harder to put into words, but something about the poetic terms in the descriptions and the narrator's actions just didn't mesh in my head. Like his outlook on life didn't show in what he did. This may have just been my perception of it. It wasn't a huge deal, and I mostly forgot it by the midpoint of the story.

Characters: I liked how you compared the two to the bear and the oriole but let the characters stand on their own as well. They weren't completely symbolic, and the nuances of the roles they played evolved in a realistic manner. It was a little strange to me that we didn't find out her name until almost the end (rather than the start or not at all), but that's just a nitpick. I was very satisfied with this aspect of the story.
Guest chapter 1 . 3/9/2013
Beautiful story!
Adrenalin chapter 1 . 2/17/2013
Wonderful story! I liked how you used the bear and pecan tree story throughout the piece, it made a beautiful counterpoint to the events. I also liked that you used the man as the PoV character, it was interesting to see how he reacted and considered the situation.

The whole love story was well-written and interesting. The relationship was well described and very romantic. I think I would have liked a little bit more of conflict though, maybe having a real meeting between the characters and the husband, or having a close brush with being discovered.
Brenda chapter 1 . 12/28/2012
Wow this was absolutely beautiful! congratulations on winning the prompt; you really deserved it
AsianFlipGurl chapter 1 . 12/28/2012
This was really powerful. I liked how you used the bear and pecan tree motif without it being overbearing. And even though I was expecting a bad ending, you know, the "inevitable" you really tied things together in the end and created hope. I really enjoyed this. Thank you.