Reviews for The Making Of Nicholas
Mylilblackpen chapter 1 . 1/17/2013
Woah, well this is a certainly different from the festive poems normally expected around the festive season. It was very poignant and tragic. I feel sorry that the family are robbed of that feeling of being whole and everything being "normal" because they lost poor Nicholas. I feel like his name is very significant because I feel like its a reference to Saint Nick/Santa. My heart dropped that this was the only choice for Nicholas that that was the only way he felt he could change things. It's sad that sometimes people are forced to make that choice, that they don't believe that things will change for the better. Really tragic, yet poetic piece.
JellicleJuggalo chapter 1 . 1/2/2013
Christmas Morning Suicide. That phrase has been bouncing aimlessly in my head for years without sticking to any origin or use. Nice to get a chance to use it. Anyways, this seems very traditionally poetic, and is very poignant, even for your work. It's classically tragic that nobody wants to change until it's too late, but in a strange way things work themselves out, and the party that seems the most wronged makes the greatest change, coming out victorious in his own way, and fulfilling his dream. Further, it's a grim reminder that none can know how much they'll be missed until they're gone. On the technical side of things, your description of the scenery skillfully balanced the surface opulence with the underlying ugliness. For the minimal amount of time you spend describing events, you've created a rich background story beyond the lines, and we get to know the characters only for what's important. The only problems I can see are the negativity (though it wouldn't be the same without it), and that I've tried time and time again to write something like this to no avail, and it makes me very jealous.
True Talker chapter 1 . 12/31/2012
Reading this makes me concerned for the one who wrote this. I will say here that someone CARES. Please know that someone CARES. Change can also occur and good change when you find that there are people in this world that REALLY DO CARE ABOUT OTHERS AND ABOUT YOU. My apologies however this had made me concerned reading this.