Reviews for Anio: Village of the Masked People
gkmoberg1 chapter 15 . 8/1/2014
This story has been wonderful. The creativity & inspiration is apparent throughout. Thank you for having written and then shared it here.

It's bittersweet to see this come to a close. Yet Auree has found her place, quite by accident, and made it her new home. Zoki is a wonder as well. The way you wrap up their situation is terrific but, as you might suspect, leaves me wishing it was longer and that there could be more. The characters, and there are so many that qualify, could be a basis for other stories. I hope your muse drives in that direction some day.

And if I ever see this story in print, I'm buying a copy! It was full of moments of concern, scary at parts, really frightening for a moment, yet also tender at many points along the way and then wrapped in a warm finale.

Shall be looking for your next story!
Guest chapter 3 . 7/12/2014
woah
gkmoberg1 chapter 14 . 12/7/2013
Ch 14
Dear Auree travels through so much here! From a horrible sentencing to a tender moment. Heavens, if I were Auree there's about a thousand reasons why I'd not be able to get to sleep. Everything from the horrors of the attack, the trial & judgement, the sentencing, the parents distrust of her (ugh!), and then her moment with Zoki in the dark (with only a pile of her warrior friends not-so-quietly not minding their own business... omg).

And if I were Zoki, I'd have just as hard a time reconciling all the same.

Both have a tremendous amount to work through. It's heart wrenching what they've come through. But also it's so warming to see they have each other to help along the way.

As for Miri ;) she'll probably sleep with a smile on her face.

Okay as for this chapter itself, it's impressive how you cover both ends of the spectrum. Your writing covers in this chapter's span, to very good effectiveness, both the details of a death and the tenderness of each giving themselves over to the other. The juxtaposition makes for an intense chapter at both ends. At the start I'm almost afraid to read the next sentence, wanting to hide behind my hands out of fear as I read. And at the end I'm again hiding behind my hands again because I don't want to intrude on their moment - and ended up laughing that you have the other characters doing exactly the same (eavesdropping) as me (the Reader) in Miri/Azuri/Janri's moment of sneaky mischief. (Wonderful touch of lightning up the heaviness of the chapter.) There was no way I could stop reading once I started! The sour note of the parents' expressed dislike of their son's choice - something that would be a huge plot point in classical stories - hardly seems like a bump given what all else has transpired on this single day. Yet it sets up the tension well for the final part of the chapter. Wonderful construction!

This has been and continues to be a wonderful story. Its emotional tug and the creative setting always leaves me hoping for more. (True sign of happy readers and effective writing.)
gkmoberg1 chapter 12 . 10/13/2013
Yet another cliffhanger? Nooooooo... :D

Zenri is my new heroine.

And Zoki's first word of Chapter 13 better not be "... Hetanoki" ( no supper for him if he's behind this )

Way back in the early chapters of this story, the draw was the enchanting setting and following Auree's marveling of a land I wish I too go sneak into. Yeh. Now it's the depth of the story and its characters - many of whom have grown dear, due to the way you've filled them in for for as Auree finds her way in with the Anio. This chapter, although extremely dangerous for her and her friends, continues to add to the enchantment as we see her true friends repeatedly stand up for her and protect her. Can't wait to find out what's going to happen next.

Thanks for writing such an engaging story.
ZombieKitten chapter 1 . 10/12/2013
I love your writing style! And the plot seems very interesting.
gkmoberg1 chapter 11 . 10/12/2013
Not fair to end the chapter at this point! Nooooo... :O
Guest chapter 11 . 10/6/2013
dun dun dun!
Dramatic cliffhanger!
gkmoberg1 chapter 10 . 5/23/2013
Ch10. How Not To Sneak Away

Woah! Auree tries to make a quick exit. That would be end-of-story for us Readers, so we owe a huge THANK YOU to Hetanoki, Kitiri and the other kits for putting a stop to that. And then Zoki - my new hero - better guard her well out there in the snow; she doesn't sound all that well oriented.

I suspect there's lots more to come - I'm left thinking about Zenri's riddle "You belong where you belong." and realize Auree's not at all close to figuring that one out. If anything, she's headed the wrong way...

As usual, this clever, inventive story leaves me hoping for more :cheers: Happy writing!
gkmoberg1 chapter 9 . 4/20/2013
Ch 9
I love it when a story catches me off guard - and that's what happens here. *bravo* Coming out of Ch8 I had expectations set on how Auree's next days might progress towards a finale. BUT silverwolflover has a huge surprise here! The unexpected happens and -wow- it's a scary misadventure. Yet the character development and plot continues to slyly build. The mysterious Zenri's statement at the end falls close to the heart and is right on - but it is not a rebuke. Looking forward to the next chapter - this is such a good story!
gkmoberg1 chapter 8 . 4/13/2013
Ch8.

You have a wonderful creativity. With each chapter we get to learn more about Anio village and experience more of Auree's adventures there. The touches throughout here are terrific. Miri's crush, the caves, getting lost in the village, the performance and the eves dropping are all terrific highlights. Yet we get a sense of an undercurrent - where such had not been felt before. First because of the mysterious encounter with Zenri and then with the discovery that not all the villagers are happy with Auree's presence and then with Kemuri's message there is a rising tension. I am curious where this will take us but we leave the chapter knowing that the foretold change in the weather is both literal and figurative and that troubles may lie ahead for Auree and her friends.
gkmoberg1 chapter 7 . 3/23/2013
Ch7.
This is terrific! Through Auree we get to experience yet more of Anio Village, this time experiencing some of those apart from the warrior and hunters she's been with. The inclusion of the singers, their instruments & music, is delightful. I'd like a Guialer, please, I can see it in my head. XD

And the children add yet another depth to this!

The girl, Riri, gives some hint that they too can shape-shift - "Both when I'm an animal or like this." Riri gestured to herself" - Is that right, that they can become a mouse? What fun!

I like how the background story continues to build, sometimes very subtly, as you add more detail to village's and Auree's character. The building tension at the end is goooood.
gkmoberg1 chapter 6 . 3/4/2013
This story keeps growing and growing! Renoki takes off here, becoming a friend. Their misadventure - the battle - is both scary and unexpected. But as a result we get to see how the village comes together and how warriors interact with the hunter/gatherers and then the headers. Auree makes it out of the chapter, to live and battle another day, but with tough lessons learned about her new life. *cheers*
gkmoberg1 chapter 4 . 2/26/2013
Your magic here is how rapt I become in reading and exploring this little world, finding out about 'masks' and getting to witness Zoki's 'transformation'. What are likely to be the overarching questions of the story ( Will Auree go home after all this? Will she even want to? Auree... Zoki... ? O.o ) take a seat far in the background. The adventure is too intriguing to bother with such matters for now; I just want to keep reading. :)
gkmoberg1 chapter 3 . 2/20/2013
Chapter Three continues to amaze! The story keeps expanding as Auree explores, learns and experiences Anio village and then out into the nearby woods with Zoki. Your creativity is commendable and this story is a delight to explore. The depth of the background material for these people who have taking in Auree both draws us into the story and helps us empathize with Auree as she makes her way about. We, like her, just want to keep figuring this all out!
gkmoberg1 chapter 2 . 2/20/2013
Chapter One lets us in on odd situation - the protagonist getting lost in a unexpected snowstorm up on a mountain side and then getting rescued. In Chapter Two we really get hit with seeing there is A LOT to this story. It just keeps unfolding and drawing us in. By the end of the chapter I'm captivated. Awesome!