Reviews for Specially Selected
g4llowsC4l1br4tor chapter 2 . 5/16/2013
GODDAMNIT WRITE MORE! i'M DYING HERE!
OwlsWithMoustachesx3 chapter 2 . 3/20/2013
So goods my little bubz 33 Also happy birthday babesssss xD you're my babe -
Anyways carry on with le good works stuffs (:
Love chawwww
Sassi '33
Aspenwood chapter 2 . 1/21/2013
I've only made it through four paragraphs and I know I’m going to love the direction you've taken by adopting first-person narration. Pippa is extremely observant. Not just in a state-how-the-characters-look sort of way, I mean she’s already shown her prowess in deductive reasoning by assessing Nicole after she only spoke a single sentence. I really hope to see these assessments color her perception of the world as the story goes on.

I’m not sure I understand the underlying vibes I’m getting from Pippa. She’s already lamented the fact that Nicole is implicitly getting buddy-buddy with her, but at the same time, she almost seems to want it. She a loner, which explains her almost cynical and acerbic point-of-view, and we’re getting a nice internal conflict with her trying to come to grips with that. My gut-reaction assessment of her is she feels like a cornered cat who’s just the slightest bit intimidated by Nicole. I got that much from Pippa garnering some impish hatred of her for her good looks. What I’m saying is that the fact that I don’t understand Pippa’s underlying feelings on the subject of her personality is a good thing. I feel just as confused as she seems to be and it works well.

Willow’s going to be a wallflower, isn’t she? I think she was a great choice to have as Pippa’s friend, not so much because of the seemingly abusive relationship that was hinted between them. It seems like they took very similar paths personality-wise (they aren't so keen on social interaction) and then diverged violently somewhere between childhood and now (Pippa seems to resent her loneliness and is very forward and pointed because of it while Willow seems to accept it and is withdrawn and quiet because of it). They would have made great friends as children, but I think if they met each other now for the first time, no such relationship would have blossomed. Now I’m getting the impression that they’re still friends because that the way things have always been.

This chapter was a slow burn, but an enjoyable one. I got my wish to meet the other three girls and they don’t disappoint character-wise. Nicole’s a friendly girl who’s thankfully not oblivious enough to see the faults in others. Evelynn I maybe could have had just a bit more elaboration on, but what’s there paints a distinct enough picture of a musically-inclined girl. Willow was the biggest surprise and the character who seems primed for the most development to me. There’s no way she can carry on as a meek girl with such colorful characters around her all the time.

The four parts of a whole group are filled quite nicely. Even Pippa was thrown into a new light for me. Seeing the world for her point-of-view is a real treat. At this point, understandably so, there’s no glue to hold them together other than the fact that they room together, so I hope to see that come to light in the future.
TurnTheMusicDown chapter 2 . 1/14/2013
FREAKING UPDATE ALREADY! This is an amazing story and I would love to read more of it :) And gosh...she jumped out the window? o.0
Nintendo Fan 101 chapter 2 . 1/13/2013
Interesting way to start your story, but if you do the kindness of writing more chapters I would highly appreciate it!
InterstellarShadow chapter 2 . 1/13/2013
I'm interested to see what this will develop into, as I see an incredible amount of potential in this story. I like your writing style and it seems to flow well.
Your characters, from the little that we've experienced of them, seem to be well developed, and are on the road to be interesting, multi-dimensional people once we get to know more about them. I am all about literary characters seeming like real people. However, I think that exchange where Nicole tells Pippa feels a little off. Because you wrote that the others had not noticed Willow beforehand, they would be more likely to assume that she had come in crying. In addition, that line would usually not be seen as hugely unpleasant, as it would make it obvious that Pippa had known Willow before, and having the knowledge that she was shy, was encouraging her to actually greet the others.
Overall I like story and will be following what you write with interest! Keep writing this.
Dancing In The Storm chapter 1 . 1/11/2013
Awesome! cant wait to see what happens next! xoxox
Aspenwood chapter 1 . 1/7/2013
I've got a thing about author's notes at the beginning of stories. I don't like them. It's about as intrusive as having someone pull the story away from you for ten seconds to tell you something you don't much care about at that moment. When I click on a story, I want the first words I see to be the story. It's all about expectations, I guess.

I like how the girls are only one month apart from oldest to youngest. They may as well be the same age, but you decided to have that little flourish and anywhere else it might be throwaway, but here, it works.

This story screams for first-person narration. I've spotted two lines already that would sound better if coupled with it:

[Great, she was the oldest, the one who had to 'set the example'. Just Great.]

and

[They thought that having the music block so close would make her change her mind about what she wanted to study? No thank you!]

These are things that Pippa should be thinking, yes? Expand on this. Make the whole story come from her point-of-view. If she thinks with the matter-of-factness on display here, it will make for a much more entertaining read.

Okay, just getting to the end of the chapter, I'm getting haughty vibes from Pippa. I have a weakness for haughty girls in a world where we will apparently accept nothing less than a likeable main character. I don't much want her to be likeable. I want her to be herself. If that's scathing and haughty, than she's better for it. Of course, I could be reading her wrong (but I secretly hope I'm not because, seriously, that would be so great coupled with the first-person narration I was talking about earlier).

I was hoping to meet the other girls in this chapter. I'm disappointed. This is good! I want to meet the other characters if they're as instantly appealing to me as Pippa was.
g4llowsC4l1br4tor chapter 1 . 1/4/2013
I like how you put in so much detail with the names and describing the room. Great job!
Freiheit98 chapter 1 . 1/4/2013