Reviews for Ghost Gunslinger
Y. S. Wong chapter 30 . 1/11
Masaru is basically Mercutio plus Foul-Mouthed Loli in one.

Thirty percent every three days, usury confirmed.

Hmmph hmmmmphh hmmmmphh-

Ngl Cutzootroll Shitzmezoo got me laughing out loud.

Finally, Haiiro gets the vengeance he so sorely deserved. Except... stopithesalreadydead
Tomoyuki Tanaka chapter 30 . 1/11
Well, it was fun to read. Poor Masaru - you don't need to pass llterature to correct other people. I can relate to that. Also, looking forward to the novelette (novella?) length crossover. YAY! I'll stick around for that.
Ckh chapter 29 . 12/25/2021
Merry Christmas~
I hope you enjoyed the non-existent snowfall. I kid, but maybe there's something poetic to be said about how intricate snowflakes - unique in their design - fail to form in our sunny island. Still, is a cursed life of monotony really that bad? Is a tragedy with a heartfelt moral lesson better than a cliche story with a happy ending? Whatever the case, I don't think I'm fit (or experienced enough) to make a sound judgement. Maybe Kenichi would prefer the latter happy-ever-after ending with Yuriko. If put in the same position, maybe most of us will.

As a fan of your work, I suppose the appropriate thing to do would be to write an extensive breakdown of why I think GG (and Unfinished AKA RPG in the same vein) is a great work. The thing is, I don't often do the most appropriate things. So instead, I'll offer my brief thoughts on your work as a whole.

When I first read Ghost Gunslinger four or five years ago back in secondary school, I was unimpressed. The abstract plot never really seized me like some of your other commenters, and I thought it was meandering at best. In some ways, my opinion still remains unchanged, but now I appreciate that 'meandering' style. There's something profound - or soulful as some might say - about the specific way you write, and the more I read (or reread) your work, the more this opinion solidifies. It might come as a surprise, but my opinion of your work started to shift around the time I finished reading Unfinished AKA RPG. It's a work that doesn't get enough credit I think. Moving on, I started to reread your other works.

I once dismissed your other work, "The Observer", as a simple oneshot. Upon reread, I came to love that oneshot. The same goes for my reread of Ghost Gunslinger. While I wouldn't claim to understand GG in its entirety, I could identify the plot threads that I missed before on my first reading. The rambling plot started making sense, though I confess that I was never enamoured with Haiiro and the side characters like some of your other reviewers. In fact, I didn't even cry when Haiiro died - I should probably stop before I get crucified for my controversial.

Still, the soulful nature of your work continues to leak through, regardless of how self indulgent it is or not. (I actually love your self indulgence)

To be frank, I don't read much. I haven't even touched my 100th book, and I honestly have no idea how stories are supposed to start and end, but I like to believe that I know a good story when I read it. And Ghost Gunslinger is a good story. So is Unfinished Aka RPG. So is the Observer. So will be the other works that you might or might not put out. You earned your rest. You can be proud of your work.

I wish I could say how your work has impacted some of my writing personally speaking, but I'm not sure how to articulate my thoughts, especially when I'm lumbering in the hiatus zone. One day my words will make in on a blank canvas, one day...

Perhaps I will write an actual review of GG later (or never). That might happen.
But for now, I'll just leave off a short message that would make a haiku blush:

Thank you for writing.

Again, Merry Christmas~
Tomoyuki Tanaka chapter 29 . 12/24/2021
Merry Christmas! I look forward to what you'll write in future!
Y. S. Wong chapter 29 . 12/24/2021
Took nearly 9 years, but grats on finishing m8. Job well done. Here's looking forward to the next Katsu masterpiece.
Tomoyuki Tanaka chapter 28 . 12/23/2021
Holy...that's one hell of a chapter. The revelation was just mind blowing. A head's up, I'm still around and I still receive notifications on whether you update your story or not - I even received your PM yesterday! So yeah, I'm glad you finally finished the story. It certainly turned dark and...uh, insane. Like literally. I'll admit that I missed the comedy, but whoa...that was just mind blowing. So the whole thing was a psychotic episode on Kenichi's part? He ended up killing his lover, and then restarting the whole thing over and over? I get the feeling you didn't actually come up with that when you first started this story all those years ago, back in 2013. I suspect you kind of just made it all up like 8 years later when you were struggling to finish what you started. Even so, mad respect to you, my friend. It takes courage and determinaton to finish a story and see it through to the end, so I take my hat off to you. This was a wild ride, to be sure, and I'll forever remember Ghost Gunslinger as one of the best, if not the best story on this site. Keep writing or doing whatever it is that you do, and I'll look forward to your next work! If you're inclined to write another story, of course. No pressure. Do what you like to do, I'll support you all the way! I don't know if this dark chapter (and the ones preceding it) is indicative of some sort of real life trouble, but I hope you are okay, and you can always reach out to me. I don't know if I'll be able to help, but I can at the very least extend a listening ear if necessary!
Y. S. Wong chapter 28 . 12/23/2021
There's few things in life braver than baring one's naked soul for the world to see. But time and time again, that's what you've done with your writing, Katsu Roll. When we're all hidden behind screens it's difficult to separate the genuine from the imagined, and that's especially true when it comes to writing. But somehow, you bare your soul, and we read, and then we feel.

I confess, I remember very little of the story before this. But when someone is pouring their soul out, you're not asking for the backstory. Not yet, at least. That can wait until later. Rather, you stand there, maybe an arm or two around them, and listen. You hear what they have to say. Bear the same burdens they bear. Understand the feelings uncontrollably pouring out.

And then-

Oh, I didn't know Takeshi had the Royal Mana Type.

No, but seriously. When a writer writes well, his (or her) readers feel. But that's just what good writers worth their lunch money do. What great writers do is not just make readers feel, but a great writer makes a reader empathize. "Damn, this story makes me feel the feelz because it makes me think of my life situation." This is why you're on the right track when your reader's immediate, real-time response to reading your work is FU-

SPOILERS FOLLOW.

The big twist middle-end through is a lesson I would have had a very hard time learning when I was younger. "What do you mean, I have to accept that she's gone?" "I'm young. I have time. I can do anything, change anything." But growing older shows you there are some things that can't change no matter how hard you work at it, that instead of allowing yourself to brood over it forever, you come to terms with it and enjoy that bittersweet smile that lingers when you think of what could have been. Sometimes, that's all you get. Is it enough? Who knows. But for those who can stop the cycle and finally take one foot forward towards the future, for those who find that bravery to do so, you gain a little something. What that something is, I don't know, but you can tell when someone's gone through that experience.

"Be brave" - you don't know how many times I've said that to myself over the years. It's a seemingly throwaway line groaning under the weight of much heavier lines in this 28 chapter story, yet I think it very well encapsulates much about this chapter.

Okay, the coda. It's bittersweet and ends sweet. There's hope there. I think people can react in very different ways to this coda, but it's fitting, and this reader thinks it's appropriate. You have to have hope. That's what allows you to be brave and take that first step in the first place.

Some people will think it's a cop out. Maybe it's unrealistic and kills the message of what came before it. Don't care. Even if you understand that, people need hope.
Darth Zannacross chapter 19 . 12/29/2019
Kenchi should have asked Ichigo or some of the others who dealt with ghosts to get ghost dating advice, but I guess he's his own style.

Well, style of film seemed horror for the moment, though it did not quite gel with Yuriko, who is so immune to Horror antics that she finds them amusing, to the bane of everyone around her.

Well, the movie got sunk because of her antics, but at least the date did not go down with the ship.

Oh my, things are going so well that the date's been turned to tears...thankfully in the good way. Well he will pass music class alright, lets hope they can keep the good times coming, keep up the good work and till next time.
Starart152 chapter 5 . 12/29/2019
This is a nice action chapter showing how much Kenichi needs to progress to be a fun efficient Gunslinger. The attack of the vampire was nice as it didn't focus too much on her being a vampire. The interactions between Yukiro and our main character is funny and I like the bit of comedy during the mission. And I like how you ended the chapter with a cliffhanger, leaving us uncertain if the shot hit the target or not.
Starart152 chapter 4 . 12/28/2019
This is a nice chapter where we see the everyday life of the characters, while our ghost just followed them as he might seek some of his memories.
I wonder where he saw Midori before and what might happen soon. Those quiet times won't last forever before the Gunslinger return to action.
Darth Zannacross chapter 18 . 12/27/2019
Damn, got off track again but, lets see if I can make a bit of progress before the end of the decade.

Welp, always a festive start to back off the sexual advances of a Octopus, thankfully Kenchi is slick enough to pull off such a task.

Well, it was not a flawless victory but, still, any battle you can walk away from and all that.

Still, not feeling pain could be a plus in some instances, but I could see why its a cause of greif in this situation.

Still, he rebounds enough for another nice moment with Yuriko, hopefully there will be more of that in the future. Keep up the good work and till next time.
Y. S. Wong chapter 27 . 2/2/2019
"Was it four hours, four days, or four years even?"

About four years, Yuri-chan. u

Yuri-chan reminiscing about the past was nice. Had an almost Girl in the Mirror Asa-esque vibe kind of feelz.

REPOSSESS YOUR BODY

MY SWEET SWEET MIDORI

The image of Dolio-kun backhand slapping Hitomi's head and sending her flailing like a ragdoll into the air is too much.

I like how the theme of this chapter is the taking off of masks. Seemingly every character left and right has had their exterior mask ripped off in this chapter, leaving only the bare, feelsy nucleus inside for all to see. It's very cathartic, and fitting of what is probably the climax of this story. I could also go into an analysis of how the work reflects the author's life, but maybe I'll leave that for another time. ;)

Next chapter when
Totally Not The Ghost of Faith chapter 27 . 1/31/2019
Can you hear it?

Crack. Crack.

The sound of a whip biting against the floor.

Is it…

Is it a flaying I hear?

What’s that? I shouldn’t be satisfied with just flaying? I should… what? Cut off his balls with… what? Prevent a Katsu-chin Jr. from being born into this world? Hmm. I see, I see. Voice-chan, you have quite good suggestions today. I’m very tempted to follow them.

But. It’s a good thing I’m feeling pretty good today otherwise who knows what’s in store for this writer who got out of his writing coma after 69 years if I had happened to be in a sour mood.

Yes, it is I. Totally not the ghost of Faith. I totally did not create a new account just to be able write a review on one of my favorite stories of all time as I had nuked my previous account some time a while back since I had the bad habit of clinging to my past works and unable to move forward from them. Totally not. Preposterous.

Also, I apologize for taking so long, Katsu-chin! It’s been a busy past few days, and as soon as I read the chapter, I immediately went and created a new account and went ahead and drawn myself a profile picture only to find out that I can’t upload it for another 24 hours and that sucks.

Anyways, let’s see if I can still do this review thing, it’s been years.

It’s kinda surreal, first of all. I never thought I’d see the day when GG would continue. It seems… that I’ve thankfully ended up in the right timeline. A timeline where Ghost Gunslinger continued. And I am ever so happy.

And then, let me just say… that reading your writing, nowhere does it feel like you haven’t properly written in years. Your writing is as good as I remember it. In fact, I would even say that it’s better in some ways. Like you’d learned and earned stuff during your coma, even if you haven’t actively been writing. I guess that just shows that the writer in someone doesn’t simply fade away, no matter how much time had passed.

I missed how good your writing is. The minimalistic writing style that never fails to paint clear pictures in my head with every sentence, every description. And all at once, the entirety of GG seemed to pierce through my memories, and I suddenly realize how close we are at the end, and I am filled with anxiety, excitement, and hope.

Hope that Hideak .

Hope that Kenichi finds his way once more.

And hope that Ken-chan and Yuriko makes out at the end of all this because lord knows they deserve that and if they don’t…

...I’ll probably draw lots of cute fluff fan-art of them to compensate. And cry myself to sleep a lot.

But in all seriousness. There will soon be fan-art. Lots and lots of fan-art from me.

Look forward to it! Until then, I hope the next chapter doesn’t take another 69 years, but I’m sure it won’t since you’ve got the ball rolling already, which is always the hardest part.

Lastly, I just wanted to say thank you. I can really tell that you enjoyed yourself writing this new chapter. And that’s really the most important thing. I look forward to the next one!
Tomoyuki Tanaka chapter 27 . 1/30/2019
Holy! IT'S BEEN SO LONG! And well worth the wait! Thank you very much for updating this story, it's as awesome as ever!

Yurkio, save Kenichi! And...Doliodevis? That's Hideaki's real identity? Huh, not much of a name. Anyway, good to see you back! I've been waiting for so long, and I'm not disappointed!
Darth Zannacross chapter 17 . 1/18/2019
Heh, everything is more fun with dragons, long as your not being eaten or deep fried by them. Well, not full on Panzer Dragoon but still, this Specthulhu seems like it can either be a lot of fun or a real pain.

Well, its indeed a real pain, but at least one he does not have to share alone as he sees what true friendship is, and hopefully can hold on to it.

Well, was a tense moment between Kenchi and Yuriko but glad they made up for they make quite the cute team. Well, K" Kenichi Nolastname" is building quite the reputation, though that might change as this is not quite over, as the monsters are sneaky bastards. Well, from victory to being hypnotized, this might end rather messy, hopefully not deadly messy.
450 | « Prev Page 1 2 3 4 5 12 .. Last Next »