Reviews for The Twisted Staircase
True Talker chapter 5 . 2/14/2013
I had read this and I do find it interesting. I will be back on this chapter at another time to read the last parts more thoroughly. I haven't been getting much sleep and I my eyes are trying to close. REALLY.
True Talker chapter 4 . 2/2/2013
I read this and it did make me think.
True Talker chapter 3 . 2/1/2013
Reading this makes me think. I have always said that I don't like hospitals, until the people at a hospital had saved my life when I was 25 years of age. Seriously.
True Talker chapter 2 . 1/30/2013
You do make me think. I will think about what others have gone through via wars losing their lives, their limbs, and others losing loved ones. Because it is SERIOUSLY NOT good that they have gone through this and MANY die too young and have had their entire lives changed. All I have to do is remember the man on the news that fought in the Cold War that has currently no where to live and the government refuses to help him. I wish that they would give him one of those 37 beds that they have available. Why? He gave 33 years of his life for this country and technically he SHOULD be helped. It is not to say that I agree with war because I DON'T REALLY. However he is not getting help and where is he supposed to go? I DON'T know all that there is to know and REALLY I am NOT well informed. SERIOUSLY. However a man who is elderly needs help and he should be helped. Why? Because NO one should be without a place to live. Besides he is unable to get into a bed without a lift as he is wheelchair bound. SERIOUSLY.

Where did I hear this? On the news yesterday.
Complex Variable chapter 1 . 1/30/2013
This is "Cyrus" from GBS, right?
Creepy. :o

[lines of his Algebraic] - - - "Algebraic" needs to be italicized, seeing as the full book title is "Algebraic Topology".

The first two paragraphs feel too conversational; they feel like a speech, not a written Foreword. The dashed-in comments, as well as the tone, are responsible for this.

Second of all—working on the assumption that this is from the same story-universe as GBS—you really do need to start formalizing/codifying the backstory/world-history of this Empire. Especially after having read your recent works, it feels like you yourself are getting a better and better understanding of the history of your story-world—like I've been watching the dough rise. You should go over GBS and other stories in that same continuity and make the connections to the world-history that has occurred through to the 27th century. You haven't (at least to my knowledge) talked about how the dictatorship/Empire came about in the first place, and "why", exactly, they are evil—why they have Reapers, etc. Considering what your stories tend to be about, this should be an essential detail, don't you think. I mean, no one starts a dictatorship just BECAUSE—there's always an underlying reason: nationalism, political revolution, extremist ideologies, etc. ;)

Also, more to the point—if your stories really are taking place in the 27th century (or thereabouts), you now have absolutely no excuse for ignoring issues of technological change and development. I.e.: what happened with Global Warming and the Energy Crisis? To what extent has mankind made progress into space in the 600 years since the 21st century? Are there colonies on the moon/other planets? Those kind of sci-fi questions.

Even if you choose to eschew extensive technological development, you should still be able to give a reason for the relative stagnancy in development that has occurred over the past 600 years. Indeed—and, I know that this will be hard, given how you write—you really need to start laying down the facts about the setting of your GBS-continuum stories: the technology being used, the clothing styles, the weapons, the architecture, the demographics/racial/ethnic layout of the society, geopolitics, economics, etc. Doing so will give your stories a much more distinctive "presence", and—at least in my opinion—will make them appeal to a broader audience. Fans love the little things about the objects of their adoration, as much as they do the big things.

Finally: [Vlčák] - - - How is this pronounced? xD

CV
True Talker chapter 1 . 1/30/2013
I will Honestly say Thank You for sharing this. Why? Because it is good to get my mind off of things.
J.Kuzzey chapter 1 . 1/30/2013
This is genius. Love your approach to storytelling. I have to admit I got hooked within the first couple of lines. Per usual, your sense of rhythm is completely unique and works masterfully for this. Although the constant use of the dash threw me off a few times. In those instances, it felt more like I was reading through an unedited scribble of someone's thoughts. As I've said before, I certainly wish I was a writer with as much ambition and voice as you.