Reviews for Why did William win the battle of Hastings
Sarah chapter 1 . 7/9
Thanks for the help its for my history milestone
sjkkjSJLS chapter 1 . 7/4
SNDDNBV
Alfie chapter 1 . 7/1
Thanks for the help
Guest chapter 1 . 6/2
Beacuse he had well trained soldiers
got home from chapter 1 . 5/11
The fact new album and it was not immediately available to all of us who have a great way of saying it would mean so so happy to see my tweets and yay for you and your a fan since day of work and it was so good I have no idea what I I'm going so slow to respond with me to do it again I have don't have a great good luck to all my friends and I don't have a good idea of what you do not want a relationship your life in a row of this is my new phone case and it will not have to do it all in all my life I love my job friends with benefits for yourself a great way for a long day ahead and the get it together with my mom and my friends and family of the best thing way to get the best thing about being it was a great good for the a team to of my friends to are the only best same as I am so excited for my birthday in is a great way to go get the best of thing way easier to than the other one I have love for the rest first time
c chapter 1 . 4/27
uuh
d chapter 1 . 4/11
x
fina chapter 1 . 3/24
cool
sophia chapter 1 . 3/23
clear points and detailed explanation, good job!
Daon chapter 1 . 3/13
He didn't win
Guest chapter 1 . 3/8
ffffffffffffffffffffffff
luck chapter 1 . 3/5
I want to copy this
Mike chapter 1 . 3/4
The first argument as to why William won the Battle of Hastings is that he had the best army. The Normans (William’s army) had 7500 men, all fully trained compared to the 4500 voluntary village workers and only 500 professionally trained soldiers that made up Harold Godwinson’s English army. Likewise, William had many archers and slingshots (unlike the English) that could kill and do a great lot of damage from over 100 meters away. The Normans were also equipped with auxiliaries - blacksmiths, carpenters, medics and cooks – as well as a few mercenaries, who were professional soldiers that fought for whoever paid them the most amount of money, on his side. William’s men also had better armour and weapons, for example: the cavalry were all equipped with mail hauberk, there is some evidence that archers used crossbows in addition to bows and arrows, some battle maces were also used along with spears and swords, round shields and kite shaped shields. This meant that the Normans were more protected from the English, than the English were from them as well; as having weapons that could do more damage. Another benefit that William had as one of his skills was that he was a very good commander of his troops and organised his men very well.

An additional point is that the battle began much sooner than Harold Godwinson and his army had expected, which meant that his troops were not properly ready. Less than a week before the Battle of Hastings, Harold Godwinson and the English were fighting in the north at the Battle of Stamford Bridge, where he lost some of his best fighters to the Norwegians and their leader Harald Hadrada. As well as this, the soldiers of Harold’s that were remaining were very tired and weak after the tiresome battle at Stamford Bridge. On one hand there was the struggling English army who were not properly ready for the battle, and on the other there was the shiny polishing Norman army who had been preparing for this day for months and were rearing to go! Obviously, this gave William the Conqueror a clear advantage over King Harold due mainly to Harold’s misfortune and his poor leadership.

Another (crucial) line of reasoning, that a lot of people believe cost Harold Godwinson the Battle of Hastings, is the trick that the Normans very cleverly played on the English. This crafty trick was that about halfway through the battle, the Normans got a message saying that William of Normandy had been killed; in hearing this news, they started to retreat, however William of Normandy was perfectly well and thinking on his toes, he told his army to launch a surprise attack on the Fyrd whilst they were celebrating. Then – just as William had predicted – the inexperienced Fyrd came charging down the hill shouting celebratory chants thinking that they had won. Sneakily, the Normans made a quick turn and came charging at the Fyrd slaughtering them! This charged the English dearly, and they lost a jaw - dropping proportion of their army.

Furthermore, quite a few of Harold’s men abandoned him before the Battle of Hastings. They did this for two reasons; the first, after he broke the promise he made to them of sharing the booty with them if they won against the Norwegians at Stamford Bridge. This resulted in the English that were remaining being annoyed and uptight at their so called ‘trustworthy’ King, as well as fighting somewhat half – heartedly. The second reason was that because the Battle of Hastings was fought in the autumn time, and a lot of Harold’s English army were made up of farmers (the Fyrd) some of them had to return home to harvest their crops, or else when the English came back, they would all be famished.

Also, King Harold being killed in the Battle of Hastings – by having an arrow shot through his right eye, meant that when the enduring English army heard about the news, although some soldiers fought on bravely, many of them lost heart and were either killed or they ran away.

In conclusion, I believe that William of Normandy won the Battle of Hastings because of his skilfulness in leading his troops, his quick and devious thinking and the fact that he had a better army than Harold Godwinson.
Saim chapter 1 . 3/4
Thannk You!
Erin chapter 1 . 2/21
Great essay and thanks for homework help!
312 | Page 1 2 3 4 11 .. Last Next »