Reviews for Lock & Key
heal me forever chapter 1 . 3/30/2015
This was definitely CUTE .But few parts seemed unrealistic nevertheless Good One :)
Edna-Mode413 chapter 1 . 1/27/2015
Wait what? I feel like this story is unfinished like you could write more, kind of a cliff hanger feeling but not really :/

But it was cute
renegade01 chapter 1 . 8/23/2014
Cute story ;-)
AlysonSerenaStone chapter 1 . 8/7/2013
This is was a good little one shot. I really enjoyed it!
Mr. Ree chapter 1 . 6/14/2013
Hi there! Your story has been added to the"Oneshot" category of A Drop of Romeo! Here's your review:
Ali Thinks:Amélie is a poor girl and has been tasked by Monsieur to steal one hundred locks from the Pont des Arts, a bridge where people attach love padlocks. Since Monsieur is the only reason she has food to eat and a place to live, she does it to make sure that she will continue to have those luxuries. She is ordered to get a hundred of these locks, but before she can collect them all, she sees that she's not alone. And who interrupts her other than the equally foolish and rich American boy in the river, trying to find the key of the lock he put up for his (now ex) girlfriend.

Personally, I don't think that a summary— mine nor The Smile Machine's— gives "Lock & Key" enough justice. It's whimsical and clever, and that is something that can't be shown from even the greatest summary in the world.

My only criticism, since I feel like I have to have one to make this less fan-girly, would have to be that it's a bit far-fetched (emphasis on the bit). But, despite its grounds not being 100% (I'd give it a 91%) realistic, I'd like to call it 'creative liberty' and not 'unrealistic' because while I felt like some elements didn't seem like they would actually happen, it didn't make me feel anything negative toward the story at all.

On the other hand, I've got tons of things I could rave about. I love that it's set in Paris. I love the Parisian feel that came along with it. I love that Amélie was more than just some poor girl stealing some locks. I love that Marcus was trying to fetch a key out of water in the dead of night. I love that I've never read anything like this. I love that I just knew I had to write a review about it before I finished part one.

As a self-proclaimed indecisive ignoramus, 'just knowing' that I love a story before it's over is a huge deal that doesn't happen very often. Usually it takes contemplation, re-reading, and a little more (read: a lot more) contemplation. With "Lock & Key" this wasn't the case; I fell in love, and I fell in love fast. I mean it, one day when I go to Paris, I'm definitely buying a lock from the dollar store and writing "Ali 'Lock & Key' by The Smile Machine" on it, because it's just that good.
NightGoddess chapter 1 . 6/13/2013
This is a great One-shot. It was good, and you should feel good for writing it. Give yourself a pat on the back or a crepe or whatnot.

I love that there's a certain Dickens-ish vibe with Monsieur the benefactor, and that even the bizarre request in the beginning eventually becomes grounded in reality. of course there would be some artist willing to pay for locks! Originally, I began suspecting that Monsieur was maybe a devil or warlock who needed them for dark magic or such because there's something almost whimsical about the opening of the tale. Or maybe it's many viewings of Le Fabuleux Destin d'Amélie Poulain.

However, keeping it grounded completely in reality contrasted nicely with the romantic atmosphere built that gives just enough grit to make it great without getting too bogged down with the decidedly dreariness that could have come from having your main character be a homeless girl and a boy suffering who just got dumped by his girlfriend. And lo, even Marcus had a nice arc going from a somewhat overbearing rich boy to realizing the best way to care about a person is to give them what they need along with their agency.

Great job.
asianinvasion0530 chapter 1 . 6/10/2013
Aww this was so cute! I loved it! :)
hollywood920 chapter 1 . 6/10/2013
This story was sweet and cute and I loved how much the two characters contrasted from one another. Some parts weren't fully believeable but I loved how sweet and hopeful Marcus was and I loved Amelie's cynical personality and how she had depth. Both of the characters were my favorite part of the story and you could've set this story anywhere and still had a really good story as long as it involved them. However you chose to make the setting Paris and that adds to the charm that the story holds. I've been to the lover's bridge in Paris and it was so cool to read a story taking place there. I think you making it and Paris the setting along with the wonderful characters turned it into a really well done story. Keep writing!
Rosalinda Pink chapter 1 . 6/10/2013
This is so sweet! And very well-written
Guest chapter 1 . 2/18/2013
That was adorable
The Siege chapter 1 . 2/17/2013
AHHHHHH IT'S CUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUTE
You're a fantastic writer! I love your writing, if you haven't realized yet by all my frantic favorite-ing of your stories. :D
I have to say, though, that the ending of this one seems rather...abrupt? I'm not sure how to explain it, but the last sentence doesn't give off a sense of closure. IT's not bad, it just feels kind of incomplete. That might just be me, though, cuz I'm weird and stuff.
Anyways, I'm looking forward to reading lots more of your work! :DDD