Reviews for Hadrian's Wall, Pt 2
True Talker chapter 32 . 4/7/2013
This story made me feel concerned for the character in this story. It just did. Really. Then the title to that song made me think. It just did. Seriously.
Complex Variable chapter 29 . 4/5/2013
I can't help suspect that I have something to do with this. xD Maybe it's just my limited knowledge of WWII.
I don't have a gun, nor a knife—but, I do have a pill. Adderall and Paxil, though—not cyanide. However, they do taste horrible if you bite.

It's good to see that you've got yourself another "large" project to work on with this... um... whatever it is. Diary-ish? Hmm... I don't know what to call it.

Anyways, interesting ramble about WWII again—freedom fighters and people showing pictures full of hope, against the oppression.

You might want to consider joining this chapter and the previous one into a single chapter.
True Talker chapter 28 . 4/2/2013
Reading this does literally make me think. My apologies that is all that I have currently to say. Why? Because that is true, it just currently is and it is NOT meant to be offensive. REALLY. Maybe it is ONLY because I have literally a LOT on my mind right now. REALLY. Thank you for writing, really thank you.
True Talker chapter 21 . 3/26/2013
This did make me beyond think and the best part of this was "knowing or talking to you". I guess I like the thought of face-to-face communication in person. SERIOUSLY. (:
Complex Variable chapter 18 . 3/23/2013
Reading this, it feels like you're slowly descending into madness with each passing chapter. XD

I had a dream last night. It involved a shapeshifter. His family was killed in the 9/11 attacks, and so, he made it his mission to kill Osama bin Laden. He hatched a crazy plan: use his shapeshifting powers (he could turn into any animal) to initiate a terrorist attack against the USA so that he would be recruited into Al Qaeda's upper echelons, whereupon he could learn bin Laden's location, and then give the information away to the US government could send in Seal Team Six to Abbotabad, Pakistan to do their thing.

._.
J.Kuzzey chapter 13 . 3/23/2013
That first paragraph hit me hard. I'm here reading obsessively after staying up all night, working since before sunrise, because of a murder that happened yesterday. Involved some friends. I've lost important people in my life - a decent amount - and there was a time when I thought I was just over it - over death and the emptiness that follows. It's not so much that it haunts us. It's just that we turn the page only to find it blank. And you're kind of panicked at first, trying to figure out how to carry on the life that was handed to you in the form of a death certificate.

I said the last chapter was emotional, but man this was PERSONAL. I can feel it. It was a good read; not just because of yesterday, but because I totally, absolutely, get it. I had a conversation with a friend at lunch today about PTSD and similar mental injuries that happen. Walking through the bad parts of town... that's not just literal (though it is at first). It's a metaphor for what its like trying to move on from the loss of someone close to you. It's an emotional journey through the mind and heart after having survived something you shouldn't have; or wishing you hadn't survived, wishing you were dead, hoping the bear would just eat you up, because then it would at least be over. It's that first struggle we go through after something devastating, when we're trying to learn how to overcome, when we're trying to find the good part of life again.

Haha, sorry, this was a long review, and it wasn't even much of a review!
J.Kuzzey chapter 12 . 3/23/2013
Laughed a bit at the last paragraph. Took me off guard. 5 by 3 meters, good lord that is a huge map. Though it's kind of hard to make a strategy on a map that's 8'' x 11''. -maybe our little worlds open their mouths, and swallow us whole... Or you open your mouth and reveal the Beast within.- Dang good line. I feel like its sort of a summary of this entire piece, weirdly. It's true for most, though.
J.Kuzzey chapter 11 . 3/23/2013
Definitely felt A LOT of personality and emotion in this chapter. Desperation and a slight tint of depression. Or maybe the other way around. - I want to talk to ghosts. But I don't believe in ghosts. - I get it; it's not that you want to talk to dead people, just the fact everyone you want to talk to is dead. You want to know the truth, to know the people behind the writing on the wall, to know the story, to know every detail, to know everything and all.
Nothing else really to add on this chapter. It's a good one, though. Like I said, emotional, powerful.
J.Kuzzey chapter 10 . 3/23/2013
First of all, parkour is amazing but I have always been terrible at it lol. Secondly, I love the duality of this line: -I never fell, but I never flew neither.- At first glance its just about being "mediocre" at parkour, but I think underneath that surface is a very deep reflection of the narrator. Never fell, never flew; just kind of hanging on the edge, walking the tightrope, being average.

Then the bit about the wall. Street art is respectable in some ways. I hate the gang scribbles that aren't so much art as they are just a brand being pasted on something. But there is some that speaks a lot. Some people out there are trying to change the world through the writing on the wall. It's more than that though, right... I mean, our art is our lives.
J.Kuzzey chapter 9 . 3/23/2013
It's fun to imagine nothing after death. Because, seriously, who can explain nothing? I mean, in order for a human to understand something, they have to experience it; or, at least, they have to have an experience it can be compared to. But nothing? Dude, it's nothing. You can't describe it. The human mind just isn't capable of properly grasping such concepts. That's probably the true reason why we believe in an afterlife.

It would be interesting if we could take a peek into what happens after death, but then still be alive to dig through the jumbled information. Then again, death just wouldn't be interesting if we knew the answers. What happens after the pain... Hm, overall, I feel like we're getting a good inside picture for the narrator. Oh, and by John Henry, did you mean the folk hero?
J.Kuzzey chapter 8 . 3/23/2013
One of the walls being blank... isn't it strange how we're always prepared for someone else to sacrifice themselves for us? The people who built that blank wall aren't going to etch their own names on it, that's for sure. Only the living can make war memorials. Funny, I was just at our local memorial a few days ago, running my hands absentmindedly over the large pieces of granite...

It feels like the narrative is back, and this chapter is less an essay on humanity - or some sort of analytic bit on us, at least - and more the beginning of a story. I could see this guy obsessively working; he'd gaze out the window and see these pompous uniformed pawns marching about, and bitterly he'd just hate them.

-And if I blast my brains out it won't mean a damn thing.- There's a lot of soldiers that feel that way, too. It's kind of funny, in a way, that you made the bitter scientist a bit more like those he dislikes then he realizes lol. I wonder how many soldiers peer inside the window and think, "What a douche!" haha!
J.Kuzzey chapter 7 . 3/23/2013
Hahah laughed at this: - 'We need more books in this world. If you go to somebody's house and they don't have books—don't fuck them!' - Nothing in particular to comment on in this chapter, but its kind of interesting how this was really a comparison of murders and murderers. The atrocities committed in war are never really explainable. Weird how humanity, which has so much potential, is so damn good at self destructing.
True Talker chapter 17 . 3/22/2013
I take the last words as to mean something positive. Thank you.
Complex Variable chapter 17 . 3/22/2013
[the call to resistance.] - - - "they" (?)

Well, I don't really know what to say about this as a whole, so, I'll just write about the part that I CAN comment on:
[and because infinity is the antithesis of life.] - - - I disagree with this, wholeheartedly—at least, insofar as "life" is used here to mean "existence"/"experience", rather than simply biological life. Everything in our experience is interconnected; actions and ideas and feelings create waves in the great sea; it all touches, somewhere, somehow. The immortality of our legacies and our deeds is an infinite thing—even if they are not (or ever) explicitly remembered for what they were. They happened—we happened—and that's all that matters. Also, there is the matter of personal growth and development. There, the POTENTIAL is what's infinite—we can always keep going a little bit further. It's because the path of self development lies on an asymptotic approach to infinity that we can always remain secure in knowing that the great chain of being will continue on, in one form or another. It never ends, because it never CAN end—and that's something worthy of "meaning".

[We don't always crumple up and die, do we? Sometimes we evolve.] - - - No, we always end up crumpling and dying. It's just that, sometimes, we evolve a little, before that happens. ;)
J.Kuzzey chapter 6 . 3/21/2013
That first paragraph had an interesting rhythm to it. I liked it; faster paced than what I was expecting. "Do not take yourselves so seriously." Best advice ever given to humanity! The speaker is definitely anti-war. Though, I suppose the people sane of mind should be anti-war in some capacity. But its a consistent theme, enough so that I think it may be the main theme...?
62 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 .. Last Next »