Reviews for Hadrian's Wall, Pt 2
J.Kuzzey chapter 5 . 3/21/2013
-For war is nothing but murder writ large. - Nodded in agreement without thought. Joining the military really is an act of suicide, just sayin'. Pechorin, is that a reference to A Hero of Our Time? Haven't read that in a LONG time, so I apologize if I'm wrong. Hm, the bit about "every gun I ever held would go off/every door I tried to wrench open would slam in my face" seemed to jump out. Really poetic in a strange way lol.
J.Kuzzey chapter 4 . 3/21/2013
-great country of hours.- Is this a metaphor, our did you mean 'ours.'? lol seriously curious. -Over here we've got a nuclear power plant. Over there they're got fallout shelters.- Man, that one sentence says a lot. Shows two completely different personalities for two different nations. -We are slaves to language, slaves to words. - Truest statement yet.
J.Kuzzey chapter 3 . 3/21/2013
May I just say, it would be most interesting to discuss and debate philosophy - amongst other things - with you? I like this chapter so far the best. I feel like its a true peek inside someone's head. Not filtered by the mouth of the speaker, not censored by the hand of the writer... It's controversial in some respect. I like that.
J.Kuzzey chapter 2 . 3/21/2013
Finally here to read chapter 2 and beyond!
Love how this is really a mixture between a philosophical essay and maybe a story. It could go either way. It's almost like you are debating with someone about something.-Guess he didn't get the memo.- I freakin' laughed. I think I mentioned this in my review for the first chapter, but this definitely has a bit of a personal feel to it. Your usual tone, style and rhythm are present, but I definitely can imagine sitting to have a conversation with someone about this, and them saying this exactly.
Spiral chapter 14 . 3/19/2013
Too lazy to log in. Anyway, I'm guessing you are an Explosions In The Sky fan-they're pretty awesome so I don't blame you. I forgot how much I like your stuff, it reads in a cool stream-of-consciousness way.
True Talker chapter 11 . 3/16/2013
Reading this makes me think.
True Talker chapter 10 . 3/16/2013
I found this interesting. Why? Because I actually like what I had seen when it came to the Parkour Gyms. SERIOUSLY. I thought it was/is AWESOME and I wonder if girls ever try it. If I could I would LOVE to try it. SERIOUSLY.
Complex Variable chapter 11 . 3/16/2013
[Marcel here] - - - Damn, I was really hoping you were an "Andrew". You don't seem like a Marcel. (Isn't that weird, names having attached personalities? I've always felt that way, though. xD)

[You must never show them you are afraid, for that is your deepest, truest secret.] - - - Or, you show them that you are afraid, and, that your fear has no power over you. Sequestering an emotion is not the same thing as being able to rise beyond it.

[According to Kafka, the siren song could in no sense be a sound—for then covering one's ears would be enough to resist it.] - - - It could also just be a very lame evil magic, and hence, completely avoidable by simply covering one's ears. x3

[I want to talk to ghosts. But I don't believe in ghosts.] - - - Nothing's stopping you from talking to them. :3

[Seeing that writing on the wall—carried forth by hands in 42 and '43 and '44] - - - You mean the English Civil War, which started in 1642? :D? (XD)

This is actually quite straight-forward, and direct—although, it's more of a speech than "fiction". Still, quite nice. Clear, potent, powerful, and surprisingly focused, despite its wanderings. Bravo. :D
J.Kuzzey chapter 1 . 3/15/2013
Hmm jumped into this because I kept getting notifications for it, but didn't want to interrupt my focus on GBS too much. A quick chapter like this is actually kind of nice. It leads in a lot like an essay for high school or something similar; like a short analytic bit rather than a piece of fiction. That being said, it was a smooth and slow transition into something a bit more personal. I started to really feel the voice come out in the third paragraph. Interesting read. I'll be checking in on the other chapters.
True Talker chapter 8 . 3/13/2013
To all those soldiers that have died that is NOT good. To all of those innocent people that have died that is NOT good. One's life doesn't have to mean being a soldier to have meaning and to be something of value. I tend to think that the govenment tells people that so that they will join. How else are they to sell being a soldier? Think about it. If they were to say the following; Be a soldier and put your life at risk. You may not have food to eat, or a place to bathe, you may see and hear the sound of people dying. And the stench of bodies rotting around you, may be part of it too. There may be times where you can't sleep because it is not safe to. You may be walking and all of a sudden a bomb may go off beneath you either ending your life or you may just lose your limbs. A bomb can be in anyone, or in anything. You will get so terrified that you will be worried about children being around you. You won't feel safe no matter what you do. And if you let yourself for even a moment be happy you may die like your other fellow soldiers have. You will lose part of yourself every day especially when you have to take another life. However if you don't they may take yours instead. You will have difficulty trusting anyone. Your fellow soldiers you may not understand and then at times you may grow to care about them so much that when they too lose their life you will have difficulty coping. There is a reason why soldiers have difficulty living in regular society afterward. And a LOT and beyond a LOT of them get Post Traumatic Distress Disorder. If they were to say ALL of this I HIGHLY doubt that a LOT of people would sign up to be a soldier.

Instead they say that they are doing right by their country whether or not it is something that makes sense as in what the soldiers may indeed have to do. That their life will have meaning. This is what confuses me - So to others having meaning in life means taking others lives? The things that I like are bringing food to people that need it and helping others to live. To help to save lives. NOT the killing and NOT the destruction of land and plant life. To me a life makes MORE sense when one helps their fellow man and helps to encourage them. And if that help were to spread across the world - to create a world where NO one feels alone.

The thing that I have figured out is this and it seems to be true. If we save the children of this world and encourage creativity and love along with respect in their hearts and minds. Then we save the world. SERIOUSLY. That is why children should ALWAYS be protected. SERIOUSLY.
True Talker chapter 6 . 3/11/2013
Reading this did make me think. I know this that I don't like war. What do I mean? Too many people die because of it.
True Talker chapter 5 . 3/10/2013
Reading ths just makes me honestly think.
Complex Variable chapter 4 . 3/9/2013
You should set off the "dialogue" portions of this as separate lines, for clarity's sake. Ex: [But it wasn't for me to tell him. Why are you wearing that? I asked him. For dress rehearsal, for the thermonuclear war. ] - becomes:

[But it wasn't for me to tell him.

Why are you wearing that? I asked him.

For dress rehearsal, for the thermonuclear war.]

It's much easier to read that way.

Overall, this is incredibly disjointed/incoherent, even by your standards.

And now, I'm almost certain that you chose the 27th century expressly because of the 666 in 2666. *Shakes head*. (Of course, I did a similar thing with pi and e for some of Aurhìm's dates, but at least I went through rather complex convolutions of those numbers as I did so! xD)
True Talker chapter 3 . 3/8/2013
Reading this made me think.
True Talker chapter 2 . 3/8/2013
Birds I like the thought of protecting them and keeping them safe. What do I mean? If one is injured to help the bird or to bring the bird to a sanctuary where they do help birds. If one sees a baby bird that is sad if the mother has rejected the bird or if the bird had fallen out of the nest. I am NOT up on all of the information in regards to birds and I vaguely remember something about if the bird has the scent of a human then the mother will ignore the bird. I am NOT certain if I am right here for it has been some time. What does that mean if I am right? That birds if they are handled at least those that depend upon being back with their mother - should be handled carefully and one needs to wear something as not to change the scent. However I may be wrong on this as it has been some time. What do I mean? The last time that I had saved an injured wild bird was when I was in highschool. You see I would go for walks and/or bike rides and I would find birds that were injured in the area of a mini shopping centre I would take them to my mother's house and give the bird softened cat kibble as they say that is the way to feed the bird if hungry. The bird would have to be in a quiet dark placed and where the bird wouldn't be continuously scared (that comes first). Then the bird would be brought to a person's house that is signed up to care for injured wild birds (until they can be brought to the wildlife centre). Or the bird would be brought directly to the wildlife centre if the person that found the bird had the means to do so.

Why did I add this? Because when I read this that is what I had thought about. Seriously.
62 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 Next »