Reviews for Bermuda Grass
Ibbonray chapter 3 . 2/26/2016
I hate this. I love this. I hate this. I love this. (In a nutshell, speechless.)
Nyx Nightglade chapter 3 . 9/20/2014
Boo. I admit I dislike Dustin. Ew.
Nyx Nightglade chapter 2 . 9/20/2014
Agh! A bit touching...
Nyx Nightglade chapter 1 . 9/20/2014
Oh shit! What's gonna happen next?!
The Crazy Freak chapter 3 . 3/30/2014
I really love this story. For something that is only 3 chapters long, you did a great job of presenting the characters as 3-dimensional people with flaws (it makes them all very realistic). I have to disagree with that one reviewer who said the negative thing about the story was the fact that "Your portraits of Evan and Ken get muddled because we are only seeing parts of them". After all, this is a 1st person POV narrative, so OF COURSE we only see Ken and Evan through Dustin's eyes. That's kind of the point of a 1st person POV. It doesn't bother me at all, because I think we still get enough information on both of those characters so that we can create an opinion of our own about them.

I was pleasantly surprised by the ending, because it was quite unexpected. I seriously thought Dustin would somehow end up with Evan in the end (since "underdogs" usually end up "winning" in sotries). It's always nice when the story is unpredictable like that. Especially because it shows that real life is rarely as peachy for everyone as books and movies would lead us to believe. However, that doesn't make me any less upset about Evan. He's my favourite character because I could identify the most with him (in the sense that I was in a relationship where I knew I was being used, but still couldn't quit that person, partly because of self-esteem issues as well; luckily, I've grown a lot since then), so naturally, I wanted the best for him. I suppose I could just imagine him in the future, having moved on from Dustin and possibly also getting out of that trailer park to create a better life for himself, but I have a hard time doing that. He just doesn't strike me as that kind of a person (which makes me really miserable, because I want him to be happy, but there you go).

I do actually think Dustin loved him (love and physical attraction are two different things, after all), even though he claimed he didn't in the end. That being said, I think he had feelings for Ken as well. I don't blame Dustin for choosing Ken either (despite my Evan-loving heart aching), because I can imagine how much someone would want to get out of that trailer park lifestyle and how difficult it would be to throw away a long-term relationship (especially with a person you have feelings for). The only thing I blame him for is selfishly using Evan like that (that probably only messed up Evan more), but then again that's what makes the story and what makes him a good, flawed character.
fleurmort chapter 3 . 7/9/2013
Wow! This was so amazing. I love the characters and how you were able to develop them so fully in only three chapters. The story itself was so impressive to me because I didn't know what to expect and I didn't even know how I wanted it to end. You ended perfectly by the way, flawless. I also really admire how imperfect all your characters are, not only in Bermuda Grass, but your other works too. You make them so imperfect yet likeable that they feel like real people. I'd also lile to applaud you for how well thought out and lovelyy your use of "Bermuda Grass" was. I never thought of it with such a strong metaphor and it's clever on your part to use it this way. Sorry for the long review I keep dragging on, but I just really fell in love with the story. I even cried a bit in the first two chapters. In the end i'm happy for Dustin and his choice, it felt correct. You're really talented & this story was perfect. (:
Depth-of-Field chapter 3 . 6/30/2013
Augh. I just. Augh.

Beautiful story, but wow, it packs an emotional punch.
Rills chapter 3 . 4/30/2013
SO CUTE.
plumblossom chapter 3 . 4/17/2013
Heartbreaking!
Uncle Rupert chapter 3 . 4/6/2013
You've played out an ineresting story 's styled differetly to a lot of stories on this site which is a nice change :) but saying that i flipping hated your main character. The story has a nice twist well ok i would have liked Evan happy but.. all things considered the others deserve each other. my may concern with this is there is nothing i like about dustin. nothing. His attitude towards the country made me want to slap him. it was such a narrow minded view it really annoyed me. He is so materialistic and vain i felt like i couldn't relate to him. but i like the grittness to this so maybe i should shut up.
Back of Beyond chapter 3 . 3/31/2013
I really enjoyed this story; Dustin's train of thought was interesting to read! Though in regards to how it could have been done differently, I was surprised to see that this was the final chapter - the story seemed like it had much further to go, and the ending struck me as rather sudden? But it was not inherently a bad ending. I also didn't really connect with the character of Ken much, as we saw so little of him, and it came off to me that Dustin wasn't really in love with him at all, more his way of life and what he could offer - and that was what he was choosing at the end. This is not a criticism at all, as that would be a valid story progression (and you may have intended it!), but I thought I'd mention it in case you were going for something else. Overall though, a highly enjoyable short story. :)
Vertebrae chapter 3 . 3/30/2013
I actually really enjoyed this, it was raw and real and that's definitely refreshing to see on FP!
JHeartbreak chapter 3 . 3/30/2013
Hey, you should have ended with them dying in a car crash. That would've been really... well not exactly ironic. But it would be cool.

I'm pretty ambivalent about this story. I'm telling you the positive stuff first, because you seem to hear negative comments more loudly than positive ones.

I dig the setting - it seems real and grounded in a way that your settings haven't in the past. You seem to understand the -*-*Society*-*- of the country better than you understand the society of the settings of your other stories.

The story was surprising - every chapter things went much differently than I thought they would. Nothing was predictable.

Also, this story seems personal in a way the others didn't, except that biblical one. Something about it is just much more visceral, much more bodily, much more felt.

However, like I said, there were things that made it harder for me to enjoy the story too. Firstly, the story's feet never seem to touch the ground, if you know what I mean. As much as it is visceral, it feels like it's holding back: your portrait of the economic and social circumstances of the country vs. the suburbs could be much more incisive. What could have been keen and illuminating became just a vague backdrop, as good as a mythical castle and swamp in a fairy tale.

The same is true of the relationships of the characters. I guess maybe you identify a lot with Dustin, but the story needs a bit of space between author and narrator. It's like there's no sense of the reality of the dynamics between the characters; the other characters only matter because of how they impact Dustin. Your portraits of Evan and Ken get muddled because we are only seeing parts of them. And not parts that are carefully chosen, either.

So, everything swirls together into Dustin's imagination - this whole story essentially takes place in his head - and Dustin becomes the only focus of the story. So you can see how, if we have no objectivity from Dustin, if we can't watch Dustin, then we haven't got much. Our only real character is kept off the stage.

So... tell me if you think I'm being harsh. I'm just trying to put my finger on why this story doesn't sit right with me.
nffhkasjfnbsdkjb chapter 3 . 3/29/2013
First off, I really loved how you had me on tenterhooks this whole chapter, wanting and at the same time not wanting Ken and Dustin to have a happy ending. I think my heart was in my mouth when Ken said he'd been cheating! But there was also a great sense of tragedy about this whole piece, so much so that I expected a great loss at the end of the chapter and I guess the fact that everything was going to be all fine for Dustin and Ken after that build up, made the end a fizzle rather than a bang. And I think Evan's story felt a little unfinished, he just seemed to slink away and I felt such a sense of sympathy for his character and not so much for Ken, as we've not really got to know him before this chapter, and so it seemed a little unfair that Evan would loose out. (Okay, I really loved Evan's character and I wanted him to have a happy ending too:P)
Overall though, I loved it. Your characterisation is second to none, it's superb, and that's why I care so much about what happens to your characters.

I look forward to whatever you write next:)

Sukix
heyitsstupidme chapter 3 . 3/29/2013
I enjoyed reading this so much. It was written very well and you described Dustin's thoughts and feelings in a realistic way. I also like that the characters weren't perfect, but unique and not flawless. I like the end and I think it's good that Ken and Dustin talked, but I wish there was a happy end for Evan. He would have deserved more honesty. Another thing I found great was the comparison to Bluegrass. The story in general had a lot of depth and you managed to show us a lot of Dustin's life in these three chapters.