Reviews for Living In The Shadows
Faithless Juliet chapter 3 . 7/3/2013
Roadhouse'ing:

I have to say out of all three pieces this is my least favorite, and I hate to say that because the other two were so good. I honestly had a hard time connecting with this piece. I didn't feel much for your main 'She' and I really didn't feel any fear/malice/distrust from her main 'He'

It was both equally hard to connect with the story and the characters.

As always I'm loving the world that you're creating here, and I think you're doing a great job with creating myths and cultures to surround it. Can't wait to read more.

Juliet.
Faithless Juliet chapter 2 . 7/3/2013
Hello again from the Roadhouse:

I both like and dislike that your main characters do not have names. I don't like it because I think a name gives the reader something to hold onto, and relate to when they are uncovering the story. I do think this is less important with short fiction as opposed to long fiction. I like how your utilizing this technique because I think it builds to the mystery of this sunless world that you're creating - they are a nameless people, this *event* could happen to anyone, or any culture. I think it broadens the overall message.

I think you did a great job at exploring the mindset of your HIM - the traveler - and the children. I found the girl and the boys particularly interesting. I think you did a great job to show their lack of trust and basically how due to the solidarity of their lives they would more than likely never trust anyone, let alone someone who was helping them.

Juliet.
Faithless Juliet chapter 1 . 7/3/2013
Hello from the Roadhouse:

Really interesting concepts here. I like the symbolism and even mysticism surrounding the loss of the sun. You could almost liken it to an old Cherokee creation myth. I also like the alternative universe/sci-fi feel to these theme as well. I think it paired nicely with the desolation of the people within this time frame and world.

Really you have two different stories, or spheres of live going on here:

First off I think you should distinguish your character with a name - I think that will strengthen her image for the reader and personalize her more.

I prefer the second half of this story to the first, simply because it comes across more vividly than the first, although the first is gone, it has a much more somber vibe than the second half.
Mistval chapter 2 . 5/27/2013
After the child exploitation of the last chapter, this one seems to shout "wait a second, some people are still good!" I think that was a good choice, it gives me a little more faith in humanity. The nameless protagonist is a character I could and root for, and his theories about humanity are easy to relate to and believable. The prose itself is very high quality - of publish-able quality I'd say. Very clear and logically paced.
hiimem chapter 1 . 3/25/2013
Great start! I really enjoy the concept of this story, living without the sun. Very interesting!
I also liked the relationship of the girl and her grandfather in the beginning.
Also very interested in the woman at the end, and the things she says.

Can't wait to read more!
Mistval chapter 1 . 3/24/2013
I pretty much don't know any Billy Talent music xD But in any case, I enjoyed this quite a bit. There will always be a special place in my heart for well-written postapocalyptic fiction and that's definitely what this is.

I like the idea of having this be a set of short stories in the same universe. You can show this sunless world from a lot of perspectives that way. And for me, that world, how it got that way, what it will become in the future, and how the various types of people on it handle the situation, has the potential to be extremely interesting, moreso than I can imagine one single character's story on it being. And it could be a novel at the same time if you felt like calling it one, kind of like The Martian Chronicles.

As a chapter this definitely succeeds in setting a grim tone and foreshadowing for what's to come. And the plot itself and the themes of death and child exploitation manage to pull some heart-strings. But in a story like this, I think the individual plots by themselves are secondary in importance to their contribution to the world-building that will be continuing throughout. And I think this storyline is certainly a good entry-point to that world-building.