Reviews for Heat Itself
The Autumn Queen chapter 1 . 6/18/2013
Wow your summary was so attractive, I don't know how I missed it before. :)

[In summer I will wear nothing but lace
and tie my hair back with a blue ribbon,
although I will still carry a book under my arm.] - I feel like this stanza is incomplete; the fullstop makes for a stumbling block in the flow. It sounds as though it's going to continue on, but the fullstop disconnects it from the next stanza.

I like the conversational tone of this poem; it's simple, but it gets a powerful point across without getting clouded in more archaic imagery and/or language. It really benefits the first person narrative, making it sound as though someone is speaking out, while keeping the poetic quality about it.

Nice job. It's a little relationship orientated, but still relateable in a more general sense.
afern36 chapter 1 . 4/26/2013
I like the overarching message of the poem. It is something most of us can relate to. I personally, dislike the overall flow of the poem. It just doesn't seem to transfer well from one line to the next. I personally find this a common problem in free verse. Overall though, this was a great poem.
DefineBeauty chapter 1 . 4/19/2013
I like the way the emotions tumble through this piece because it gives off a "mixed signals" type feel. You're not sure if the narrator is still in love with this person and hurting about it, or truly thinking of revenge. It's that feel of love that was lost that is so easy to relate to,

I don't like however that it is so easy to relate to at the same time. Maybe it's because I've written and worked with this specific area so many times before it just doesn't have a unique, new feel to it. Yes, it feels like your own story, but it also feels like one of the many stories told on this topic.