Reviews for A Letter
TuSolusSanctus chapter 1 . 4/11/2013
As far as historical accuracy, I have no clue. I'm not exactly an expert on this part of history. However, I love this anyways.

I wouldn't have looked at it twice if it weren't for the picture of Our Lady staring at me. That was bold of you. You run the risk of alienating a large group of readers.

The letter was informative. Without being too obvious, you let us get to know the character, his surroundings, his past. You explained a lot and gave us a wonderful insight into this character's life. Overall it seems to be realistic: An Irishman who is pleased to have escaped Ireland during one of it's worst times, yet still longing for his homeland. And an Irish Catholic at that, which is so incredibly in character.

I'm not sure when the "No Irish Need Apply" time was. I believe it was in the 1800's though I do not know. Is this story set in the time before the hatred of Irishmen, during, or after? I should really study up on this period of history.

Your writing is very descriptive and I'm pleased with it. The overall tone of the story is a bit bland unless you're familiar with the time period but that is not necessarily a bad thing. I really enjoyed it and hope you continue to write on this website.

-TSS
Isolde Auckley chapter 1 . 4/11/2013
Of great interest to me. This letter makes good use of dialect and descriptions to take the reader to a different time and place.